Skip to content

Dark Souls (spoilers under the tag)

SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
edited January 2019 in Off-Topic
I know most people here like more tactical RPG's, this is an forum dedicated to enhanced editions of IWD, BG and NWN. But IMO in therms of action role playing games, DKS is one of the best(if not the best), i finished him in an old xbox and really liked the game. I mean, the game is not that difficulty. Just don't mindless run into the enemy and spam "R1", play cautiously. There are a lot of amazing shields and polearms are very good like IRL(in fact polearms was most used than swords IRL), magic is too very powerful. You just need to know when to attack, when block and when evade.

Spoiler - Last boss defeated

There are problems. Nothing is perfect. IMO, some bosses like Capra Demon and Bed of Chaos are just awful and far more hard than the last boss or the Ornstein and Smough, some platforming parts are awful like Anor's Londo archers. Other thing that i particularly don't like is. Why bows scale with DEX? An longbow require a ton of training. On the first game(demon souls) they did it right. " Skeletons of longbow archers are recognisably affected, with enlarged left arms and often osteophytes on left wrists, left shoulders and right fingers"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_longbow#Training

Other problem that i have is the lockon system. Why in a "hardcore" action RPG, i can't aim my spells? This made the fight against hydra very hard if i hadn't an melee backup weapon but other fights pretty easy.

Anyway, despite this minor flaws, the game is pretty amazing. One of the best games of my life. They did so much things correct that this problems are minor problems. For example :
  1. Big weapons can "stuck" on walls when swinging
  2. No bikini armor, weapons and armor looks realistic and even the fantasy ones, looks like something that an gigantic creature wold use if exists
  3. Consistent lore with game mechanics. Even respawn in bonefire and eastus flask have an explanation. One item description says that an boss is blind. You can use it in your favor
  4. No mechanics that breaks immersion like cooldown
  5. Fight multiple enemies is pretty hard. Is not like most games where most of then wait to be killed.
  6. Spells with weight deals(Dark Sorcery) physical damage too. Is not like other games where an javelin deals physical damage but an magically materialized frost javelin deals only elemental/magical damage
  7. Every mechanic that applies to the enemies applies to you and vice versa. Including "stag", stun, etc; you can even knock out bosses from some arenas(and be knocked out)
  8. Choosing your weapon is not just "what have the biggest damage", you consider your build, your playstyle, weapon speed, weight, reach, moveset, durability, scaling, etc to decide what weapon to use
  9. Choosing armor too. You consider many physical resistances, many elemental resistances, many status effects like poison and curse resistance, your build, the weight of the armor, etc, with shields, the damages that he can blocl and stability are vital too.
  10. Choosing your catalyst too. There are no best catalyst. Some are better for dark sorceries, some for reg sorceries, some cuts casts/rest by half but gives insanely power. Some have faith scaling and are good for clerics that wanna cast few sorceries.
  11. The location of enemies makes perfectly sense.

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    If you play a sorcerer in Dark Souls 1, you are essentially activating easy-mode. The real challenge in all 3 games is in defeating the bosses without spells (aside from buffs) and without a shield.

The Capra Demon fight is ridiculous because it is basically taking place in a broom closet. You have to run towards him, dodge his first attack, then run up the stairs and take care of the dogs. It's pretty much total BS. Ornstein and Smough are NOT easy in melee, though I can see why they would be if you are moving backwards slinging Soul Arrows. Frankly, the real hardcore boss challenges in all three games are the DLC, and the first one is no exception. Artorias, Kalameet, and especially Manus are all significantly harder than than any boss in the main game besides O & S.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited January 2019

If you play a sorcerer in Dark Souls 1, you are essentially activating easy-mode. The real challenge in all 3 games is in defeating the bosses without spells (aside from buffs) and without a shield.

The Capra Demon fight is ridiculous because it is basically taking place in a broom closet. You have to run towards him, dodge his first attack, then run up the stairs and take care of the dogs. It's pretty much total BS. Ornstein and Smough are NOT easy in melee, though I can see why they would be if you are moving backwards slinging Soul Arrows. Frankly, the real hardcore boss challenges in all three games are the DLC, and the first one is no exception. Artorias, Kalameet, and especially Manus are all significantly harder than than any boss in the main game besides O & S.

I don't think that sorcery is easy mode. Trowing consumable weapons, pyromancies, miracles, bows, crossbows, mele weapons with ranged special attacks, etc; are so powerful as sorcery. Not mention, as an archer you can aim, as an sorcerer, you are dependent on the lock on system. That makes almost impossible to kill hydra as a pure sorc for eg. Not mention, you just need Repair Powder to repair your weapon, you don't need to rest in bonefires... Use an sword at CQB and not shield is actually the hardest way to play the game and its makes sense. Is not an effective way to fight.

If house sized demons with truck sized flaming clubs exists in a medieval setting, then humans with fight against then with an very large ballista with poisoned projectiles. Nobody will try melee then. And if people can magically materialize an projectile that have an power similar to a ballista shoot, people will gonna use that. People used mostly spears and warbows when they was hunting larger animals by a reason. Most armies o the story used polearms and shields by a reason too.

Here is two interesting melee weapons that have ranged magical attacks

And see how an archer easily kills all bosses
    Sorry for bumping my own thread, but recently i purchased DkS 3 and is relevant to say that magic is ridiculous weak. A lot of bosses, i killed more easily in melee.A lot of bosses are so fast that can reach you from 40m before you cold cast an spell and a lot of then have areas where you need to hit a specific place in a game without aiming for spells, only a lockon system.

With 46 INT Sage Ring, Farron Ring, Magic Clutch Ring, young Dragon ring, and Crown of Dusk my homing soulmass can't OHK an dog and dogs are much more agile than DkS1.

I wonder how other ranged options such as pyromancies, miracles and archery is on DkS 3 compared to 1. Anyone here played?
    FinneousPJ wrote: »

Thanks, i will gonna talk more about DkS1 on this thread. Din't know that there are already an DkS 3 thread.

I will gonna make an Abysal Sorc on DkS 1. Only played DkS 1 on a old xbox without DLC or online component but purchased today on steam. Only waiting a little for downloading(poor internet) and confirming payment. This dark sorceries looks pretty dan cool,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELJL0n7scNk
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @SorcererV1ct0r That's one of the best builds.
    edited February 2019
    FinneousPJ wrote: »
    That's one of the best builds.

Probably the high DPS build. One shooting the final boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADpBViEVSFg

This Dark Bead remembers me of the Shrapmetal from M&M. On M&M 6-8, it trowed an bunch of pieces of metal that each one deals D6/skill level + 6 and as a master you can trow 5 of then at CQB. And the best part. The damage is physical, on M&M VII/VIII the damage of all dark skills are just "dark damage" instead of some skills dealing magical, some physical and some poison damage...

I an at moment an "hybrid" between dark and normal sorcery. I mean, i have strength to use even Cleansing Greatshield, but not high strength to use gargantous weapons. And only use pursuers and dark bead. Din't find Dark Orb and Dark Fog that useful. And unfortnetly there are no dark soul arrow/spear. Imagine how cool Dark Crystal soul spear, one use, massive damage.

My char
    ZjQ8JPw.jpg