Skip to content

Inside the mind of Lum the Mad

(Extremely minor Watcher's Keep spoilers)

Lum the Mad is the guy who built the machine at level four and left notes allover the keep hinting at how to get goodies out of it. Lately I've been thinking, some of the combinations are actually intuitive, poetic, or at least not entirely arbitrary.

Strength: Square, short, medium
Dexterity: Square, blue, short
Constitution: Circle, red, long
Intelligence: Circle, blue, long
Wisdom: Circle, square, triangle
Charisma: Red, green, short
Magic resistance: Blue, green, long
Storm Star (Mace +3): Triangle, green, medium
Portal to next level: Triangle, red, medium

A few of these, I find to be quite fitting.

Constitution: Will keep your blood (red) pumping (circulating) a longer time.
Intelligence: Replace blood with mana. D&D doesn't use mana, but higher intelligence can be thought of as more mana in the sense of more memorization slots. I can also name other games where int=mana.
Charisma: You go from red light (no) to green light (yes) in a short time because you are so damn persuasive!
Magic resistance: Magic users, as represented by the blue mana, will be jealous (green) of you for a long time.

Three others, I have weaker explanations for.

Storm Star: Triangle could represent the flanges, medium could just be the weapon size. It's not a two-hander but it's also not a dagger. Got nothing to explain the green part.
Portal: A red triangle is a warning in traffic, and there are certainly dangers below. Of course, D&D doesn't use traffic signs and I can't explain the medium part.
Wisdom: I bet you could get philosophical about this one whatever the combination was, but heyyyyyy, yooo, you realize a circle, square and triangle can all be drawn with one continuous line? Crazy shit, right?

Contribute!

Comments

• Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Get some sleep lad
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    Sleep is for those without square short medium.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,354
    enqenq wrote: »
    Sleep is for those without square short medium.

Shouldnt that be circle red long?

My bet on wisdom, has always been that its so damn easy - only something a wise person would have the nerve to pull off. Dont know why I thought and think that... its just that every riddle is easy once you know the answer.

Your con and cha “explanations” seems to make sense - if one can say that.

BTW: The combinations dont have to be pressed in the order you have stated. You can change them as I recall, so you can think off new combinations.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    Shouldnt that be circle red long?
    By D&D mechanics yeah, but it was meant to be a reference to sleep is for the weak and the weak are those without strength ^^