Skip to content

NN:EE Toolset Wishlist

I am going to offer up some suggestions I would like to see happen if there are any official Beamdog expansions or updates planned for the future.

1. More official tiles to the base game
2. More official player races and classes
3. More official monsters/creatures from the Dungeons and Dragons RPG game
4. An alternate character creation start where players actually roll 3d6 to determine abilities
5. More official sound files added to the toolset, with a focus on voices

As someone who is highly interested in creating modules and campaigns for NN, I would be willing to seriously entertain the idea of purchasing official mod packs that expand the toolset options. Having these options based on the official toolset would make it more accessible to the NN community by not having to constantly direct people to a ton of hak files they need to track down just to enjoy the module or content (many of which are bugged/glitched). I recently find that I am unsubscribing from a great deal of community haks to ensure that any content I create with the toolset is using the official toolset only so that it will be more accessible to the Steam community.

Beamdog and Julius Borisov, hear my pleas and give the community the Enhanced Edition options we deserve! If official mod pack expansions are out of the question then at least offer some toolset additions in official future campaigns/modules.

Comments

• ZintokiZintoki Member Posts: 3
    I would appreciate "reload resources button" in Aurora. It will help with iteration process during testing position and look of models.
    Look on modern engines like Unity. When you make any change in assets, engine immediately load new version of file.
  • ArcticWolfArcticWolf Member Posts: 2
    Arrays
    External database type (SQL)

Implementation of features and functions of these 2 points increase the options for new, old and returning people with an interest in creating content or complete modules. Not only will it support typical scripting / programming, it will lower the workarounds significally too. I started to miss classic arrays so dearly, right after a few minutes of scripting. Dealing with structs is terribly slow and clumbersome as a makeshift array.

Consider that much content has been lost when servers and sources were taken offline. Recreating that, starting new projects and ideas, all that becomes faster. I'm not opposed to external tools, some of which could do the trick, but I would favor a solid integration.
  • CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
    How about improving the toolsets ability to cooperate with the existing tools like the gffeditor, nwexplorer, Killer tlk editor, nwhak, etc, and maybe some of Niv's nim tools. Maybe that can be done by just allowing the toolset to call to the other programs (via new menu/popup options) rather than trying to integrating their code into the toolset. Also how about better file sharing so, for example, we don't have to remove a custom tlk file from a mod before saving the modified tlk in the tlk editor and then need to re-include tlk.

Is there already a way for us to add the menu options we want so we could implement this ourselves? The improved sharing and auto-refreshing of resources mentioned in the above posts would be very important in making this work well.

And I'd love the improved scripting power mentioned above too.
  • CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
    In addition to a mod specific custom tlk, could we have a mod specific default dialog.tlk which starts out as a copy of the game default tlk - then if we want to change the name/description/details of a standard item, eg change all kamas into kama to picks, we would only need to change the associated entries in the tlk.

As it is now we need to make a new tlk, add the custom entries, update the 2da, use nwexplorer to export the related uti files and there are many for any given weapon if u want to update the standard magical versions, update them in a gff editor, add them to a hakpak, and the 2da, then add the hakpak and custom tlk to the mod.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    It's generally not a good idea to modify dialog.tlk unless you're making a translation to a new language. To get a copy of dialog.tlk you could copy and paste dialog.tlk and change the copy to custom.tlk, then update the 2da references to point to that instead.
    TarotRedhand