Skip to content

[BG(2)EE] Issues in the record screen in v2.5

AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
In 2016 version 2.2 brought some fixes and changes to the Character Record. It left some room for improvement, and I wrote my thoughts about it in this thread. I'm updating it for v2.5. Looks like the only change in these three years is that a minor issue was fixed (listed at the end):
  • No documentation: I've spent hundreds (maybe thousands?) of hours playing BG and IWD in their different flavours, and there are still quite a few data here I don't understand. Imagine how overwhelmed a new player may feel seeing this and having no explanation for what these data mean.
  • The new tabs at the top don't look very well. They are not integrated with the rest of the artwork.
  • Although it's better organized now, there's still a lot of text in some sections. Using some font styles, even if it's just bold and italics, would help to see more clearly the information.
  • Information tab: Most of the information in this tab is repeated in the other tabs. The goal of revamping the record screen was to have the information organized into sections. Having the information repeated doesn't help that goal.
  • Combat stats:
    • Saving throws: When these values are altered (by an item that improves them, for instance), it would be nice to have the values displayed in a differente colour, like they are for the main stats.
    • THAC0 is not a proficiency.
    • The armor class modifiers are repeated over and over. They are displayed twice in this tab, another time in the information tab, and yet another time in the inventory screen.
    • According to the release notes, AC heading in the Combat Stats tab will now be organized intuitively. But that heading is not intuitive at all.
  • Skills: Reputation is not a skill, and arguably lore isn’t a skill either.
  • Abilities: Most information here seems out of place. Abilities are strength, dexterity, etc.
  • Stats: Doesn't sound like a good name for this header. It does display stats, but so do all the other tabs in this screen. Something like "History" or "History with the party" would be more descriptive.

Issues fixed since 2016:
  • Current script used to display a string of letters with unclear meaning, like bddefai. Now it says something more meaningful, like wizard aggressive.
Post edited by Alonso on

Comments

• AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    v2.5 update.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Sometimes less is more. I still prefer and use the simplified versions 1.3 of BG(2):EE.
  • StromaelStromael Member Posts: 195
    I may be one in a thousand here, but I still prefer the pre-EE screens. The design and layout feels higher quality, I have never found any of the information difficult to understand, there are no pointless repetitions, and perhaps this elegance comes from the way it reflects PnP, for example the character record screen feels like a paper record of a DnD character, instead of an attempt to emulate more recent RPGs (Elder Scrolls, etc.). In agreement with @SharGuidesMyHand, less is more.

Also I've loved those moments of revelation on stumbling into a new piece of the original interface, e.g., the biography, the character info screen with kill/XP counts, the user-notes in the journal... Ultimately I dislike how the EE tries so hard to hold your hand and guide you through every tiny thing. Anyway, sorry, off topic. Maybe I should have posted in the Unpopular Opinions thread. :wink: