Skip to content

question about free action opcodes (bg2ee)

gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
edited March 2019 in General Modding
i am not a modder, but i have little experience about how to create or modify items in the original game.
in the next future i want to try to modify for ee the flail of ages +5 and the ixil spike +6 to make their free action allowing a toon welding them to be improved hasted.
i know that some players don't like that feature and to upgrade a weapon to have it somehow less useful for some of us makes little sense.
i should be able to do the thing, to extract the weapons from the game, change the opcode and create a file that every willing player can drop in its override folder, but knowing which opcodes give free action and in which way they operate will make my work easier. i lack of the knowledge to look at the game files and determine how each opcode works, mine is a more trial and error approach.
i know that i can simply use the opcode used for arbane's sword, that makes the welder immune to hold person, but having knowledge of all the possible opcodes, and of all the effects caused by the opcode used for foa and ixil, would make me able to do a better work, maybe creating more then one file, form the basic one using the basic boost of arbane to a weapon that gives all the benefits of the upgraded foa and ixil without preventing free haste ( i maybe have to stack opcodes to obtain it, but i suppose i can handle it) so a player is free to chose if trading the capability of being improved hasted with less protection or to have all the advantage of the actually used opcode without the disadvantages.

if someone can provide here the list of the free action opcodes and what exactly each one does it would be much appreciated. i don't think that i will never become a true modder, but i would like to give my little contribution to the modding community this way.

thank you in advance.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    i did not know it :o
    i apologize, please modders ignore my request...
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    lately i am using the +4 version, as i find it enough powerful and i don't always go for maximum power, and personally i don't have problems to unequip the weapon before haste a toon as i anyway micromanage a lot. it was more to give something to the players that don't like to micromanage, anyway thank you so much for the answer.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @gorgonzola

For Baldur's Gate 2 EE, unzip and drop those on the override folder.

Maybe you'll need to create new items - I don't know how this behaves in an ongoing game as I usually do things through modding.

Enable your console commands and try the following:

FoA +5

C:CreateItem("BLUN30")

Ixil Spike +6

C:CreateItem("SPER12")

Edventar's Gift (not requested, but couldn't hurt)

C:CreateItem("RING09")

---

If you don't want the ring to allow haste, just keep the new RING09.itm out of your override folder.

Hope it helps.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    @Miloch made a very good PnP Free Action mod, but it's not been updated for the Enhanced Editions unfortunately. It would be rad if it could be made into a Tweaks Anthology component.
    I think I've found a way to prevent those items from removing the faster movement provided by items like the boots of speed.
    Raduziel wrote: »
    I think I've found a way to prevent those items from removing the faster movement provided by items like the boots of speed.

I was wrong, but I'll keep digging.
    edited March 2019
    I was thinking about the concept of PnP Free Action. Here's what PHB says:
    This spell enables the creature touched to move and attack normally for the duration of
    the spell, even under the influence of magic that impedes movement (such as web or slow
    spells) or while under water.

Focus on the word "normally". That makes me uncertain if a "PnP" behavior would include the allowance of Haste/Improved Haste/Increased Movement Rate.

To be honest, I'm not even sure if it should protect against Grease, Entangle and Web. I mean, if you're tied by a rope would Free Action release you? I don't think so.

Thoughts?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    Really?? Huh, I could have sworn it was. Apologies then, I was wrong.

No need to apologize :) I've spoken to @Miloch about it very recently. He said he converted it for the Enhanced Editions during the development of IWD:EE (where it has likely been implemented) but there was never a public re-release.