Skip to content

My hard drive broke is there a way to make my characters the level they used to be?

I had an SSD failure and had to replace it, is there some kind of "cheat" that I can use to put him back to his previous level? He was a level 13 Kensai / level 21 Thief so I'd rather not have to do it in the normal fashion. Whether it's through console commands or through a "trainer" I don't really care... I just don't want to spend needless hours getting him back up to his normal levels, after all, I have to already replay the game.

Comments

• Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    It would not be difficult. You could do it either by using the console or EEKeeper. But I recommend that you first use Ctrl Y and Ctrl J to quickly move to the point in the game where you lost your character, and only THEN worry about the XP. Otherwise your character may end up with far more XP than they originally had.
    Activating the console does not require a university degree in informatics either. Studying for just 2 semesters should suffice.
    Assuming you are on a recent windows OS, there is a "Baldur.lua" file to be found in C:\users\[your name]\documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition. Open it with a text editor (like notepad).
    By editing this file (changing the "0"s and the "1"s), you can alter game options that are unavailable in the normal user interface. What you want to do is to add a completely new line,
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1')
    This enables all the ctrl commands (Ctrl 8 for all 18s during character generation, Ctrl Y to kill a creature, Ctrl J to teleport and Ctrl R to reset/heal a creature) and the console which you can open with [Ctrl] [space]. In the Enhanced edition, this also opens up an extra window that gives you easy access to a few of the more common cheats (like the XP that you are asking for).
  • 20884322088432 Member Posts: 229
    It would not be difficult. You could do it either by using the console or EEKeeper. But I recommend that you first use Ctrl Y and Ctrl J to quickly move to the point in the game where you lost your character, and only THEN worry about the XP. Otherwise your character may end up with far more XP than they originally had.
    Activating the console does not require a university degree in informatics either. Studying for just 2 semesters should suffice.
    Assuming you are on a recent windows OS, there is a "Baldur.lua" file to be found in C:\users\[your name]\documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition. Open it with a text editor (like notepad).
    By editing this file (changing the "0"s and the "1"s), you can alter game options that are unavailable in the normal user interface. What you want to do is to add a completely new line,
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1')
    This enables all the ctrl commands (Ctrl 8 for all 18s during character generation, Ctrl Y to kill a creature, Ctrl J to teleport and Ctrl R to reset/heal a creature) and the console which you can open with [Ctrl] [space]. In the Enhanced edition, this also opens up an extra window that gives you easy access to a few of the more common cheats (like the XP that you are asking for).

I added that line to my Baldur.lua file but it doesn't seem to work. I tried Ctrl 8 during character generation just to test it and it doesn't seem to do anything. I restarted the game and everything. I am using a modern OS by the way (Windows 10 Home Edition), and Ctrl Space just pauses and unpauses the game.
    Did you edit the file while the game was still running?

I did but I restarted it afterwards and it still didn't work.

I included a screenshot of how I did it... I basically just copied what you did and put it at the very end of the document and then saved it, was that correct?
    Sorry, I rebooted and for some reason, it began working... sorry for wasting your time.
    Good for you.