Skip to content

iPad Mini?

KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
edited October 2012 in iPad (Archive)
So, there's a rumored mini version of the iPad coming up (was in the Wall Street Journal today) at 7.85" with the likely resolution of an iPad2 and a lower price point. Do you think Baldur's Gate would be playable on such a smaller device?

Comments

• PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    Depending on the size of ones fingers, yes.

@TrentOster has once tweeted that he played on a iPhone...!
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    edited October 2012
    @kenyon

Trent recently said this on twitter:
    "TrentOster: I do have to admit, the #Nexus7 works well for Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition. The seven inch size plays well. #bgee"

So it should play just as well or even better on the almost 8 ich display of the iPad Mini. Just make sure you get an iPad mini with enough storage, the game is almost 2GBs on iOS.
    Post edited by Risingsun on
    Kenyondarrenkuo
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    Different iPads have very much the same OS running it, so if the device is 7" or 12" shouldn't matter. Just as an android phone is more or less exactly the same as an android pad.

But for the sake of my own self image I must add: "Apple, all their products, software and anything related to the company is balls and should be burned before dawn".

I have no good reason to say this, never owned an apple product but it's one of those things I love to hate..

(It's cool to hate.. *sniff*.. yeah)
    trinitFredjo
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Khyron said:

Different iPads have very much the same OS running it, so if the device is 7" or 12" shouldn't matter. Just as an android phone is more or less exactly the same as an android pad.

But for the sake of my own self image I must add: "Apple, all their products, software and anything related to the company is balls and should be burned before dawn".

I have no good reason to say this, never owned an apple product but it's one of those things I love to hate..

(It's cool to hate.. *sniff*.. yeah)

I own every generation of iPad's, and that comment is, very politely put, extremely uninformed to say the least!
    I'm a windows pc guy, and have owned computers "run" by Microsoft since the early nineties, and I hardly use mine anymore. I use my iPad for almost everything I used to do on my pc.

There used to be people who never owned a pc that hated on Microsoft, and that was, "ahem", uninformed" too...

For some reason, some people who have read something, somewhere, or own an android device, and think they have to hate on anything Apple related for no reason at all,

Borrow an iPad for a day or two, use it, browse the web on it, play some games on it, be productive on it. Then you can hate on it.

I'm telling you, you honestly don't know what you're missing.
    mlneveseBrude
  • KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
    Didn't mean for this to turn into an Apple discussion (and @Khyron, I know you're just having some lighthearted fun, but purposefully going into Mac sub-forums to bash Apple is a little mean), it just sounds like an excellent size and hopefully solid value. If @TrentOster is convinced it's a good size, I'm up for it. :)
    Risingsun
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    I played for two hours on my iPhone. It was not a great experience. I used the tip of my pinkie and still had to touch multiple times to get the input to register.
    I think a 7" or thereabouts screen is going to be the lower limit for playability given the current user interface. With a UI re-work we could make the iPhone 4 and better playable.
    -Trent
    RisingsunBrude
    edited October 2012
    @trentoster

Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with in terms of UI for an iPhone version when you guys decide to do that down the road. But if an iPad Mini does come out, I will be playing a lot of BGEE on it.
  • hazmatzakhazmatzak Member Posts: 9
    In addition to being 7.85" instead of 7, the aspect ratio is 4:3 instead of 16:10 or 16:9. Put those two facts together and the screen height in landscape is about half-way between the Nexus 7 and the iPad. (Do a Google Image Search for "iPad mini size".)
    Risingsun
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    iPad mini? You mean, an iPod Touch?
    RadiantHeart
  • CyricSpawnCyricSpawn Member Posts: 74
    @Paladin no he means iPad mini rumour has it Apple are going to release a 7" iPad
    Yeah, I get that. I guess I just think it's a bit redundant. Isn't the iPad already supposed to be travel size? Is there need in the marketplace for an in between product?
    CyricSpawnRadiantHeart
  • CyricSpawnCyricSpawn Member Posts: 74
    You'd think so wouldn't you... More products more money, Apple logic.

That said I really like Apple I'm on my iPad now but the mini seems a push too far
    edited October 2012
    Well, say that to everyone who loves their kindle fire HD and Nexus 7. There is plenty of room in the market for 7 inch tablets and its always good for consumers to have a wide range of choices. Especially if an iPad mini is more affordable.
    RadiantHeart
    I was talking to some of my marketing friends about this and have come around on the Apple strategy for pushing an iPad at a lower price point, like an iPad mini. The only thing Amazon, Blackberry, and the other "low-end" tablets have on Apple is the lower price. It's fairly accepted that the iPad is the superior tablet. But, it's hard to justify $400 (and that is for the now outdated iPad 2 model). If Apple can introduce a product at the same price point as their competitors with the same basic features as their pricier iPad offering, there's no way anyone can compete. I can't see many buying a Kindle Fire when an iPad clone is right there at the same price with access to the impressive Apple app store. So, I think it's actually quite a smart move if they price it around $250 or so.
    RisingsunRadiantHeart
  • oldsch00loldsch00l Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 192
    Well the iPad Mini rumour has been around for some time now and I'll believe it when I see it. Apple rumours don't always come true, no matter how hard people seem to want them.

You'd think so wouldn't you... More products more money, Apple logic.

I'll disagree with you on that. They've never took the more products more money path. They found other paths to make more money. Targeting high end product markets for example. When you look at their product line, you clearly see they don't cover every niche. It's especially true for the cheaper products.

Year after year Apple gamers wanted a low cost tower you could upgrade. In the beginning of the iPhone life, you heard a lot of iPhone Mini or iPhone basic coming (or should come).

Apple doesn't do that and they simply don't need it. @Paladin's idea might be a good one, might work, I don't know. Reality and history say Apple build its success on design, experience and exclusivity. And all that comes at a price...
    RadiantHeart
  • KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
    The event has been officially announced, October 23.
    There's good chances they announce the iPad Mini but you never know ;-)
  • EvinfuiltEvinfuilt Member Posts: 505
    Rumor no more, same resolution as iPad 2. I guess this will work just fine with BG:EE; A little surprised there's a 4th Gen iPad as well, but they need to sell those new connectors.
    Yeah, Overhaul wont have to do any work to get BGEE to work on the mini. It will work just fine out of the box.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Damn, the interface would be small though.
    Brude
    Now I'm wondering, the big iPad for my aging eyes or the mini to take it with me all the time... Ah rich man dilemma ;-)
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    oldsch00l said:

Now I'm wondering, the big iPad for my aging eyes or the mini to take it with me all the time... Ah rich man dilemma ;-)

I've got my iPad 3 with me always... No problem at all. It's not as if it's heavy.. :-)
    Endlesswave
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I'm typing this comment on an iPad 3 right now ;)
    Endlesswave
  • RobachickenRobachicken Member Posts: 8
    Trent said yesterday on twitter that it should play well as the resolution is the same as the iPad 2, but he will be getting one to test. (
  • EvinfuiltEvinfuilt Member Posts: 505

Trent said yesterday on twitter that it should play well as the resolution is the same as the iPad 2, but he will be getting one to test. (

It's a good excuse to purchase one. We have to get one at my work as well for... uh, testing, yup that's it.
  • ChurchOfBooChurchOfBoo Member Posts: 82
    Tried one of these in the Mac shop, looks great! If BGEE is going to work on it I may have to buy one. If we buy the IPad version, does that transfer to the mini as well or is it a separate thing. I know some apps are iPhone only or iPad only...
    @ChurchOfBoo

The iPad mini is just an iPad. It is the same resolution as the iPad 1 and 2. So all current iPad apps will run on the mini with no real work required on the part of developers.
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    Heya, the iPad mini's specs are identical to the iPad 2 - we have one in office, have tested it out and yes it runs and looks good. So, the iPad mini is a go - we will be supporting it for sure.
    Risingsun
  • ChurchOfBooChurchOfBoo Member Posts: 82
    Hooray! If given the choice, which would choose as a main platform - the mini or the full size?
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    Myself personally, I'm partial to the full size one - but really it's a matter of personal preference. And maybe how big your hands are. The mini is easier to hold and manipulate with one hand, yes, but I love the retina display on the ipad 3/3.5.
    Kenyon