Skip to content

Can I import from SoD into BG2? If so, I have questions

What items will now show up in my bgii game?

How much xp will I be imported with?

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i dont know about the items

but you will be exported with the XP you had in SoD

in my opinion starting SoA with 500 xp per character makes the game a lot easier and way less challenging
    ( although helpful if you want to play LoB mode i suppose )
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Unless you intentionally play a solo (or really any smaller size party), I don't think it's possible to hit 500k, and if you do play that way, I don't think it would make SoA that much easier. Maybe Irenicus' Amnian summer home, but after that, it would just shave off a bit of the grinding normally required to safely go after Imoen and not get stuck in a dark place.

In my case, my final save file has my PC at 476k, but I removed the XP limit in BG so that Jaheira could level up one last time and get her 5th level druid spells. (Which, btw, was extremely frustrating back in the day - she was only 8k away from that level-up when you hit the cap...) That put me above the BG + ToSC cap, but not by as much as you might imagine.

Of course, SoA was geared for characters brought in directly from BG, less ToSC - or characters with no more than 89k of experience. :o Just adding ToSC made SoA's start a bit easier. Going through SoD should make Dungeon be Gone pointless, as you should be able to sail through it.

On the other hand, you are expected to level up every character at least once in that dungeon, and it hands out experience pretty liberally - for 8th level characters. If you import 10th level characters, there is a better than average chance that no one will gain a level. Remember, by the time you get to ToB, most enemies are routinely dropping 10-20k or more of XP because of the leveling rules.

Which reminds me; these complaints aren't new. ToSC made the final battle in BG a lot easier. Even without removing the XP cap, just going into it a level or two higher means more HP, more spell slots, etc. Watcher's Keep made the next to the last and final battles in SoA unimaginably easy. Almost like that scene in the Matrix where Neo is picking bullets out of the air and looking at them easy.

If it does get too easy, there is an equally easy way to resolve it. Up the difficulty :) I normally play on Normal, but I'm about to start a new SoA campaign based on my final SoD save, so I may up it to at least Core Rules or higher if it gets silly.
    Maurvir wrote: »
    Unless you intentionally play a solo (or really any smaller size party), I don't think it's possible to hit 500k, and if you do play that way, I don't think it would make SoA that much easier. Maybe Irenicus' Amnian summer home, but after that, it would just shave off a bit of the grinding normally required to safely go after Imoen and not get stuck in a dark place.

In my case, my final save file has my PC at 476k, but I removed the XP limit in BG so that Jaheira could level up one last time and get her 5th level druid spells. (Which, btw, was extremely frustrating back in the day - she was only 8k away from that level-up when you hit the cap...) That put me above the BG + ToSC cap, but not by as much as you might imagine.

Of course, SoA was geared for characters brought in directly from BG, less ToSC - or characters with no more than 89k of experience. :o Just adding ToSC made SoA's start a bit easier. Going through SoD should make Dungeon be Gone pointless, as you should be able to sail through it.

On the other hand, you are expected to level up every character at least once in that dungeon, and it hands out experience pretty liberally - for 8th level characters. If you import 10th level characters, there is a better than average chance that no one will gain a level. Remember, by the time you get to ToB, most enemies are routinely dropping 10-20k or more of XP because of the leveling rules.

Which reminds me; these complaints aren't new. ToSC made the final battle in BG a lot easier. Even without removing the XP cap, just going into it a level or two higher means more HP, more spell slots, etc. Watcher's Keep made the next to the last and final battles in SoA unimaginably easy. Almost like that scene in the Matrix where Neo is picking bullets out of the air and looking at them easy.

If it does get too easy, there is an equally easy way to resolve it. Up the difficulty :) I normally play on Normal, but I'm about to start a new SoA campaign based on my final SoD save, so I may up it to at least Core Rules or higher if it gets silly.

i find that interesting because when i played SoD i easily hit the XP cap wuth 6 characters
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    i find that interesting because when i played SoD i easily hit the XP cap wuth 6 characters

I did too, but I have an extremely completionist playstyle where I do my utmost to complete every single sidequest, all companion quests, make sure that I clear out all encounters on a map, disarm all traps, learn all spells etc. I think my characters started hitting 500k XP somewhere in the middle of the Dragonspear Siege.
    Now you guys are making me wonder what I missed, because I am generally pretty completionist. I didn't leave a map area until everything was cleared and took up as many of the side quests as I discovered.
    Now you guys are making me wonder what I missed, because I am generally pretty completionist. I didn't leave a map area until everything was cleared and took up as many of the side quests as I discovered.

from what i remember i hit the level cap probably at the 85-90% game completed mark ( i recall fighting driders i believe....? when i hit the mark )

sometimes, unintentional grinding can help you hit the XP cap quicker as well

plus, if you start a game in bg1 and import over to SoD all the XP you accumulated pass the 161 000 mark in bg1 will be transferred over to your SoD team as well, helping to give you a boost

It's probably the last part of Sarevok's post, about importing a BG1 save game since despite the base game being capped at 161k XP, it actually continues to invisibly accumulate past the cap; the game just doesn't let you level up anymore. From my recollections, I think when I started SoD, my party members were somewhere around 180-200k XP.
    edited April 2019
    Zaxares wrote: »

It's probably the last part of Sarevok's post, about importing a BG1 save game since despite the base game being capped at 161k XP, it actually continues to invisibly accumulate past the cap; the game just doesn't let you level up anymore. From my recollections, I think when I started SoD, my party members were somewhere around 180-200k XP.

I removed the XP cap limit in BG1, so yes, I started SoD fairly above that limit. The primary goal was to get Jaheira that one last druid level to access the 5th level spells. I checked, and they were all about 187k right before the final battle. I do remember that requiring me to empty out every single forest area on the map and revisiting a few areas where high level spawns occurred.

Which is why I'm flummoxed that I didn't hit the cap in SoD. I'm wondering if it is because I bailed early during the portion where you sneak into Dragonspear Castle's basement early, and missed out on the golem fight?
    Post edited by Maurvir on
    Hmmm... Well, the one thing I did that might have made a difference is that after doing my business in the Dragonspear Castle basement, and getting the "alert" in the Underground River that turns all of the crusaders hostile, I went back into the warrens and cleared out every single crusader down there. It's quite a tough fight since the crusaders on the varying levels like to swarm you when someone on their periphery is attacked, but I made it in the end. I can't remember how much XP I would have squeezed out of all that though.

Apart from that, I also mostly stuck to the same party members for their entire game, so a lot of the "unwanted" party members basically wound up getting no XP throughout the entire game aside from the autolevel bump whenever their level fell too far behind the average party level.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Your resting habits also matter a lot because IE games let you gain an unlimited amount of XP from random encounters. I did a 6-man completionist no-resting-except-in-camp run and ended SoD with 498K XP per character.
    Yikes, that would do it. I was RP'ing that first trip into the basement as a spy, so when I got the alert, I passed around potions of invisibility and high-tailed it out of there, stopping only for that cache of goodies you learn about.