Skip to content

Is the info that the barkeeps give you when you drink tons of their beer matter in the game at all?

I just ask because it never seems too, but I would be more than willing to get drunk all the time if they tell me useful shit now and again.
Aedan

Comments

• ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    It never matters - would have been fun if they led to new quests
    Mantis37Aedan
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    I thought I saw something in some patch notes about rumors adding quests to your journal. Maybe I can find it later.
  • 20884322088432 Member Posts: 229
    I thought I saw something in some patch notes about rumors adding quests to your journal. Maybe I can find it later.

I would very much appreciate that sir.
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    "Candlekeep Inn rumours should be added to the journal" is stated on http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/08/updates-to-baldurs-gate-enhanced.html

One could extrapolate, then, that all inn rumors are meant to be added to journal?
    "Candlekeep Inn rumours should be added to the journal" is stated on http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/08/updates-to-baldurs-gate-enhanced.html

One could extrapolate, then, that all inn rumors are meant to be added to journal?

It sounds like they were planning on adding that to the game perhaps but time ran out? Getting quests from bars reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics lol.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I think some of the rumors hint at quests.
    DreadKhan
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I recall first ever hearing about the Bassilus-Beregost quest by way of alcohol consumption. I don't know if it was added to my journal, though. Nevertheless, it can give you something nice to read: the writing on Baldur's Gate and how it sets the tone of the world is just phenomenal.
    DreadKhanThacoBell
  • cloudkillbeatsallcloudkillbeatsall Member Posts: 98
    I remember somebody telling me in a bar once that I was destined to become the new Lord of Murder but I was a bit smashed at the time and might have taken it up wrong.
    ronaldoAedan
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Afaik they never lead to any real quests being added to your journal, but they may hint at quest givers or quests in the area. In short, they're largely just for flavour.
    2088432gorgonzolaThacoBellAedan
    k thanks
    Aedan
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    They were pretty handy if you were playing vanilla, especially before guides were around, so really they were handy for a short period. As it is, its easier/more reliable to just use a guide for info.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    If it is even possible, someone should write a mod that triggers based off of a tavern rumor, because that would be awesome.
    butteredsoul2088432Aedan
  • butteredsoulbutteredsoul Member Posts: 168
    I'm not sure that I can condone a mod that encourages my party to drink and dragon.
    rufus_hobart2088432Zaxares
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    Maybe we can add some nonalcoholic beverages to the bars, while we are at it.
    DreadKhan2088432Aedan

...Now lets not do anything crazy....
    gorgonzola2088432butteredsoul
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366

Lol!

I'm picturing my 18:00 strength barbarian asking the bartender about potential adventuring opportunities while sipping on a milk...
    72jyyt59ljdc.jpeg
    gorgonzola2088432lunar
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited May 2019
    What's wrong with milk? You know how crucial meeting your daily protein/calcium needs is to being a healthy adventurer?
    Post edited by Nuin on
    Balrog992088432Aedan
    Nuin wrote: »
    What's wrong with milk? You know how crucial meeting your daily protein/calcium needs is to being a healthy adventurer?

Well, for starters, it doesn't get you drunk. o:)
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    reputation matters more then proteins and calcium for a 18:00 strength barbarian...
    to (barely) walk on his own feet out of the tavern after so many beers leaving behind a carpet of completely drunk and unable to stand up competitors is what gives him reputation and the strength to fight the next battle.
    at least if he sleeps 12 hours before it to recover :smile: .

that told i drink much more milk then beer or wine and very rarely drink something more strong then wine, mainly if some friend want me to taste some home made liquor.
    i don't want to promote in any way the alcohol consumption in RL, if not in a very limited way, and i am well aware of the enormous problems that alcohol abuse cause.
    to the person abusing and to the ones around him.

but what in rl is a real problem and something that i hope will disappear from the things humans do (even if the abuse of some sort of drug seems to be deeply rooted in the way humanity behaves, being the drug alcohol, opium, weed or whatever is available in a particular place) is not necessarily so in a game.

after all playing this game we constantly murder people, steal and do other things that are as bad if not worse then alcohol abuse...
    a thief charname that do his stronghold can even be involved in selling illegal drugs.

but as i like very much coffee and tea i would appreciate to have them available in the taverns, as i have no problem to ask for a coffee when all my friends drink wine in a bar also my 18:00 strength barbarian would do so, the only difference is that he would punch on the nose whoever comment about it, while i avoid to do it when it happens in RL. :D
    2088432Balrog99Nuin
    Maurvir wrote: »
    If it is even possible, someone should write a mod that triggers based off of a tavern rumor, because that would be awesome.

Perhaps someone has made one, that would be nice but I don't know where to even find Baldur's Gate mods.
    @2088432 you can start from this forums, there are specific sections for the different games, there you can find the mod description and a download link, usually a link to a dedicated site where modders post their mods.

also googling "bg2 mods" works, i did try now and it brought more then 150k results, in the first page the dedicated section of this forum, a couple of modder's sites and many suggestions about the best mods to use.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @Balrog99 Instead, try to picture Genghis Khan as he prepares two chairs on a hill overlooking a town. He then sits down on one of them, with one of his wives sitting on the other. The two share a cup of mare milk with a dash of blood while enjoying the scene of the mongol army massacring the town's population with machine-like efficiency.
    Balrog99
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    edited May 2019
    IIRC, the Mongols DID actually have an alcoholic beverage made from fermented mare's milk (that was also served hot, unlike just about every modern alcoholic drink), although I forget what it was called. Either way, I don't see any harm in someone creating a mod that added non-alcoholic drinks to bars for roleplaying reasons (paladin/cleric with a Vow of Purity to abstain from all intoxicants, for instance.)
    edited May 2019
    and by the way the mongols probably was not defeated.
    the reason why they did not conquer all the word is that their main khan died so the different tribes had to go back to mongolia to chose a new khan, a new leader.

their nomadic tribal culture was their force, but in the end revealed itself as their main weak point.
    a tribal nomadic people is not the best type of civilization to build a world wide and lasting empire... ;)
    @gorgonzola while I have a dim view generally of encouraging people to try addictive things, I think the world is much better having access to recreational substances. Then again, I'm a regular user of many things, including cigars, excessive coffee/tea, ma huang, alcohol and other things. The truth is that no substance, even an anti-depressant, can make you happy if you're not in a good place mentally. I didn't get happier abusing substances, I only had good times, and the two are very different. Eh, you might be right, if people would accept it, prohibition would be great.

Iirc, your thief can be involved in slavery too, very evil.
    DreadKhan wrote: »
    while I have a dim view generally of encouraging people to try addictive things, I think the world is much better having access to recreational substances. Then again, I'm a regular user of many things, including............. The truth is that no substance, even an anti-depressant, can make you happy if you're not in a good place mentally. I didn't get happier abusing substances, I only had good times, and the two are very different. Eh, you might be right, if people would accept it, prohibition would be great.
    you get me wrong, i am strongly against prohibition as i think that prohibition don't work to stop abuse, even the very strong one that urss used did not work as there was no abuse of heroin, but people used alcohol or breathed glue vapors instead...
    prohibition adds other problems to a problem without solving it, and gives to the criminal organizations a lot of money.

i instead hope that the humanity can grow and learn the use and not the abuse of drugs, and when a drug is addictive the use is very problematic as can become abuse so easily.
    that told there is plenty of people that drink alcohol, an addictive drug, but never become addicted, as well as plenty of people that becomes addict.
    education and personal growth imho are the ways to deal with he problem of drugs.

about the anti depressant drugs and the other psychiatric drugs i think that in some cases can be useful, as they can save a person from suicide or other bad things, but i think that they can never heal, only keep the symptoms quiet. until the causes of a depression are removed (changing the way of life, accepting a loss or whatever) there is no real healing process and also there i think that to abuse of them can make a state of depression permanent, they should be used only as last resource to avoid that the depressed or other way diseased person harm himself or in a acute phase of suffering.
    i am convinced that the human brain has all that is needed to heal himself and can produce serotonin and whatever he need, if sometimes don't do it it is an alarm signal, a signal that something in the way of living of a person is wrong, once the cause is removed the natural serotonin level stabilizes naturally, but only if drugs that contain serotonin are not used or at least are not used for a long period.

both the things, prohibition and medical use of drugs are really complex, and i can not explain all that i think about in a forum post...
    this is only to roughly tell what i think of those 2 matters, and only cause you quoted me bringing those matters. probably is not wise to continue here such discussion as the forum rules are clear about talking of drugs on the forum and even if until now on one promoted the use of illegal drugs (but in the forum rules i can not find any reference to the fact that the drugs are legal or illegal, so talking of bourbon or cocaine should not make any difference... ), but i suppose that the moderators are not happy if we continue, as if such discussion is done is very likely that someone will pass the border and break the rules.
    when i was moderator in other forums i did not appreciate this kind of discussion, OT as is a gaming forums, or when i was moderator a woddoworking forum, and always at risk to have some ban flying around...