Skip to content

Hidden Alignments

JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
edited October 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I've always found it strange that you can know someone's alignment as soon as you accept them in your party. Most evil people, for example, wouldn't brandish the fact around strangers if they had any brains. I think it would be more suspenseful and immersive if you actually had to figure out NPC alignments yourself.

This feature was actually planned for the original Baldur's Gate - see here.

Q: Will I be able to tell other characters' alignments?
A: Alignment will not be stored on the character sheet - you have to figure it out. Remember that casting "know alignment" is mentioned in the rules as potentially offensive to many NPCs - they might not like it too much... You know your main character's alignment, but no one else's.

This would be especially interesting with the new NPCs being added. We've had some very interesting speculation and debate on these boards - how compelling it would be if we were allowed to figure out their alignments from their in-game actions instead of reading off a character sheet!

Comments

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Neat, but I don't know how the mechanics would work. As for casting Know Alignment, there's no way for the NPC's to know that you did and, therefore, no recourse.
  • HeasHeas Member Posts: 54
    That sounds like a wonderful idea, Here's to hoping BG3 would have it.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    If alignments were hidden, I'm sure I'd "accidentally" cast Know Alignment on everyone in my party sooner or later. They have to sleep sometime.
  • ryu1ryu1 Member Posts: 76
    Could be a fun idea, perhaps certain NPCs won’t join you unless your Reputation level matches their hidden alignment. Eg, asking Edwin to join when your Reputation is at 18 could prompt him to refuse until you go kill a few innocent people. But yes, finding out hidden alignments could be like detective work.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    Sounds interesting, for the most part though I don't think many people are really trying to hide it though. Perhaps there can be a select few who hide it.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    edited October 2012
    I've actually used Know Alignment on certain quests to decide whether I should trust someone. The alignments, in many cases, are bugged. There's even a mod that fixes them.

In the paladin stronghold quest, a paladin comes to relieve you from guard duty. He was evil, so I killed him. Turned out he really was who he said he was.

There was a quest in BG1 which had the same problem, but I've forgotten the details.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    sepotter said:

Sounds interesting, for the most part though I don't think many people are really trying to hide it though. Perhaps there can be a select few who hide it.

Being agents of the Zhentarim, I'm sure Monty and Xzar would have good reason to hide their alignments. Eldoth conceals his true intentions with Skie as well (claiming to be "liberating" her rather than just using her for ransom)