Skip to content

Please allow characters to be imported from old BG

ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
edited October 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I have played Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 many times and they are favorite games of all time. However, I do not like starting over again from scratch. I always import my main character to the beginning of the game and play him through again. I have used Shadowkeeper to also do this with Viconia for the past 4.5 playthroughs of BG2, ever since she and my PC completed their romance.

I think it would be really fun if I could import my characters from the older version of BG into this new Enhanced Edition so that they could continue to become more powerful without having to start from scratch. If it is too difficult to create an import feature, please include something like Shadowkeeper so that I can re-create the characters myself.

Also, it would be nice if it were possible for party NPCs to be imported (which is not available in the old BG). It takes about 1.5 hours to re-create Viconia in Shadowkeeper each time, which I've been willing to do so far, but is kind of annoying.
Post edited by ARKdeEREH on

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The data is largely the same, but there may also be minor (and occasional major) shifts in abilities, item names, or variables, which could break the character when it's imported. That's sadly something that couldn't be fixed if it becomes a problem, although I'm right there with you with regard to wanting the ability to do so.

The biggest issue to overcome I can see, just looking at what's different between vBG1 and vBG2, is probably weapon proficiencies.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    Well, BG Tutu already allows characters to be imported from BG2 and they overcame the weapons proficiency issues there. Perhaps something similar could be done in the Enhanced Edition?

While I would prefer items to transfer with my characters, if this wasn't possible for whatever reason, at minimum I would still want the characters with their saving throws, spells, health, etc. to transfer. My characters have been around long enough that they would still be powerful enough to survive without their items, and it would still be more fun than starting over again with a level 1.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    edited October 2012
    I don't really have any BG1 characters I'm desirous to import, however I have given some thought to this nevertheless, perhaps beamdog, or at the very least, a modder, can create a 1-way import feature, something that would allow import into the enhanced edition (and in-so-doing allow you to re distribute proficiency points according the the new game engine) and from there just be incompatible with the original bg, which wouldn't really bother me anyway.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited October 2012
    You won't be able to import BG saves and likely not characters into BG:EE. The truth of the matter is, simply too much has changed and while it may be hard to accept at first, for the overall heath of the series and modding community the changes needed to be made. Five years from now it may not be a big deal that you couldn't import stuff because it's likely there will be buckets of new mods and expansions for these games.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    They should add an option that converts current characters and save files over to the new save files, like with TOTSC.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    ARKdeEREH said:

I have played Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 many times and they are favorite games of all time. However, I do not like starting over again from scratch. I always import my main character to the beginning of the game and play him through again. I have used Shadowkeeper to also do this with Viconia for the past 4.5 playthroughs of BG2, ever since she and my PC completed their romance.

I think it would be really fun if I could import my characters from the older version of BG into this new Enhanced Edition so that they could continue to become more powerful without having to start from scratch. If it is too difficult to create an import feature, please include something like Shadowkeeper so that I can re-create the characters myself.

Also, it would be nice if it were possible for party NPCs to be imported (which is not available in the old BG). It takes about 1.5 hours to re-create Viconia in Shadowkeeper each time, which I've been willing to do so far, but is kind of annoying.

I kind of consider it a time for "new beginnings" with the EE coming out. I'm sure there's things you would do differently in a fresh game, having learned some lessons. Besides, its more challenging playing a newly spruced up game with a new party.