Skip to content

Question for Beamdog staff. Topic: Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

DevilGTDevilGT Member Posts: 35
Hello. I wanted to bring to attention another (in my opinion) classic game which is Arcanum. Here is the question:
Beamdog would it be possible to make enchanced edition of this classic but underrated game? Baldur's Gate, IWD, Planescape Torment and Neverwinter Nights got it. It is one of those games that I think belongs to the holy classic rpgs. I do not know how is the copyright thing working so I will leave my very small "petition" here. I would be glad to get an answer from You. I am after all a big fan of before mentioned games and also very grateful for remastering and making expansion: Siege of Dragonspear. That is all. :blush:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    Ok, I get the technical reasons, but I've never heard someone call Arcanum's story a "snorefest" or its characters "not memorable". I'm baffled. Assuming you're just speaking of the main story, I think it's a great subversion of the Chosen One trope, with a villain operating out of genuine conviction to boot. Companions aren't as fleshed out as they are in BG2, sadly, but what little there is of their characterisation makes them very memorable to me. In what other game do you start your party with your own resident cultist and top it of with a revenant warrior?
    edited June 2019
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 69
    I would like to see their next D&D game in Unreal, than A: EE.
    edited October 2022
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • DevilGTDevilGT Member Posts: 35
    edited June 2019
    Sigh such a shame :disappointed: I would love to see Beamdog taking this game and enchancing it upon its shoulders. Maybe they could even go as far as tweaking a bit whole mancaments... well a man can dream. "Who asks doesnt get lost."(not sure if that is correct but i think You get what I mean) I also disagree that it was not memorable. One of the games of those rpgs that (at least I) remember very vividly.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Just watched some reviews about the game and now I want to play it.
    Then you will need this page: https://terra-arcanum.com/downloads/ there is unofficial patch + high resolution mod.
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Similar to above, I feel it would be better to get rights to the setting and make a sequel or new game in that setting than to enhance the first game. I simply haven't come across many steampunk cRPGs.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited June 2019
    That was very insightful about the game business and the game itself but...Snorefest? Really?

The combat is clunky and unbalanced? (If you have high dex and potions of speed does not really matter what you choose, you will win). Yes.

Worldbuilding, plot, dialogue choices, character creation options, thieving mechanics, exploration, skill usage and crafting creation, magic vs technology mechanics, companions (Most of them have more backstory than some characters of the original BG game: Virgil, Magnus, Gar, Raven, Geoffrey Tallerond-Ashe...) are far better than most games.

You gotta love a game you can talk your way out of the final boss with the proper persuasion skills and dialogue choices.

If not a EE, make a sequel or a mod for NWN2 for this. Not much steampunk games and many of them are survival or dystopic future type, which is good but also tiresome.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Arcanum has the best character creator of any CRPG ever made, and it isn't even close. The amount of backgrounds that can significantly alter your strengths and weaknesses alone is superlative.
    edited June 2019
    Yeah and freedom that u can destroy doors not lockpick them and kill merchant and loot all the items :D. Or u can trap guards inside the house if u have lock spell. :) I love Time and Black Necro magic.