Skip to content

Ranger/Clerics no longer get Druid spells?

2»

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Cleric/Rangers also get to choose a favored enemy, making them considerably more formidable against a specific type of enemy.

Just noting that that item was missing from the quoted list.
    Gallowglass
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Agreed, @subtledoctor - I can see that your mod setup would surely make F/C and C/R more distinct. My remarks about the difference being minor are referring to the unmodded game. So maybe we're not really disagreeing much after all. :)
    [Deleted User]
  • LoreLore Member Posts: 114
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but im looking for the Cleric ranger spells in the baldurs.ini and i just cannot find it. Im looking at the ini here : C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition is that correct ?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Lore said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but im looking for the Cleric ranger spells in the baldurs.ini and i just cannot find it. Im looking at the ini here : C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition is that correct ?

These changes aren't yet implemented in BGEE. So you shouldn't need to change anything to get access to druid spells.
  • LoreLore Member Posts: 114
    ahh ok my mistake :) thanks
  • arthur05arthur05 Member Posts: 28
    edited June 2019
    it takes a long long time to dual class and it's a chore. if you don't get iron skins and insect plagues dual classing from a Ranger to a Cleric is "pointless".

I had 2 proficiency points in short bows as well as a ranger and now I can't use the short bow once my levels as a Cleric exceeded my levels as a ranger

let's put it this way if you're a level 8 Ranger dual class level 33 Cleric, "you have access to the entire realm of druid spells" and,

as for piercing weapons vs blunt weapons, it's a trivial concession subsequent to the spells.
    IF YOU DUAL CLASS A SWASHBUCKLER TO A MAGE, THE MAGE CAN USE THE SHORT BOW.

maybe we should call W&W instead of D&D

PostScript
    DO YOU KNOW WHAT A DUNGEON MASTER LOOKS LIKE.?
    Post edited by arthur05 on
    RAM021
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited June 2019
    ...are we seriously still arguing about this?

Ranger/Clerics getting the higher level Druid spells was a bug caused by the combination being the only one that could cast from both sides of the Priest Scroll, as the spell levels you could prepare from was then determined by the higher Cleric table. That individual *spells* could require a different class level entirely was overlooked since the spell tables were only looking for two things:
    1) Are you a caster of that type?
    2) Can you memorize spells of that level?

This covers 99% of cases since you can't dual/multi with the same type of class (you can't dual a cleric into a druid since they're both priests, for instance). Since both Clerics (a Priest) and Rangers (a Warrior) were casters of the Priest type, 1 filled the requirement for the Ranger's Druid Spells, while 2 expanded the allowance to all spell levels that the R/C could cast (even though, by P&P rules, they still had separate tables)

EE 1.3 added a third check, one which was built-in to P&P and was otherwise only broken in IE for Ranger/Cleric (due to the aforementioned "casting from both sides of the Priest Scroll"):
    3) Is that spell on your table?

Ranger -> Cleric is currently a Cleric with Fighter THAC0 progression and a handful of Druid spells. If the higher-level druid spells are so critically important to your playstyle that you find their absence to render the whole exercise pointless, then run Fighter -> Druid.

(Also: the fact that BioWare got this wrong while SSI got it right amuses me to no end)
    Post edited by Pokota on
    [Deleted User]gorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    The dual Rc with all the druid spells is fun to play, not too OP, and for the old players there is a well established tradition about. If someone regards it as a bug no one compel him to actually memorize the druid spells of higher level then the ranger level allows, so the bug never really affected those that disliked the feature. I am very glad that Beamdog made the fix in a way that allow both the ways possible editing the ini file, and think that if it will be made possible also for those that use something other than a computer it would be an improvement.
    ThacoBellelminsterleeuxRAM021
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    Pokota wrote: »
    Ranger/Clerics getting the higher level Druid spells was a bug
    As it was confirmed in 1998 to be working as intended, it cannot by definition be a bug.
    leeux
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited June 2019
    The original engine required it to work that way. Wouldn't call that working as intended though, it was simply a necessary coding compromise at that time.
    Post edited by jsaving on
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    jsaving wrote: »
    The original engine required it to work that way. Wouldn't call that working as intended though, it was simply a necessary coding compromise at that time.

That is the very definition of working as intended.
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited June 2019
    There are many ways this can be interpreted, and it's really more of a universal problem. BG2 is simply its own game and many of its features are very different from the pen and paper version (IIRC, for example, ranger/clerics are actually supposed to have access to all weapons the ranger can use. Obviously such an implementation would be stupidly OP for BG2).

Frankly, I see no problem why the dual-classed version shouldn't get their spells ASAP. The ranger class by itself is already criminally underpowered compared to the paladin, the option to dual to cleric was one of the major side perks... so just change the setting.
    gorgonzolaRAM021
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Subtledoctor post made me curious. We will see if I will install all these mods for my next EE playthrough.

Currently I have a bg:T playthrough and a EE playthrough
    RAM021