Skip to content

A potential cure for restartitis

SyndareeSyndaree Member Posts: 56
edited June 2019 in Off-Topic
If you ever suffer from this terrible affliction, I'd like to share an observation that is the result of playing a lot of computer games (mostly RPG's) and studying the human mind and practicing meditation. I hope you may find it somewhat useful.

I used to have a bad case of restartitis and I still do sometimes, but it's more rare these days. I've realized that my state of mind greatly influences my enjoyment when playing games. If I am restless, irritable or agitated, I am much more prone to mindlessness and as a result I don't enjoy the games nearly as much as I would if I were calmer, focused and patient.

When I am agitated I get less out of the game, I miss important details (atmospheric, dialogue, descriptions etc.), I am noticeably less immersed, I enjoy the journey significantly less and as a result I become disconnected from my character much more easily. In other words - When I am restless I am not content with what I have and want something else.

When I am calm I play the game significantly more slowly, I take time to savour each little detail, really taking in the atmosphere and enjoying the journey. Because my experience of playing the game is so much deeper and satisfying, there is virtually no disconnect between me and the character. In other words - When I am calm I am content with what I have and don't want anything else.

So what I propose is that restartitis is really a symptom of a deeper problem - the problem of attention.

So here's a few quick tips that helped me and might help you too:

- Don't play when agitated. Instead go hang out with friends, go for a run or take a nap.
- Consider training your mind to be better at paying attention. Any activity that requires you to really pay close attention works, whether it is meditation or walking on a thin ledge or careful drawing etc.
- Don't snack. Eat two or three meals a day, whichever suits you more. Don't worry about what you eat, just stop snacking and you are likely to notice a very discernible increase in mental clarity.

Good luck :)

''Boredom is really just a lack of attention.'' Sam Harris
Post edited by Syndaree on

Comments

• ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Hmm... I'll try it? I'm wanting to start over in nwn again because I don't like my feat selection anymore...

My state of mind is brighter than usual though...

What does it mean?
  • SyndareeSyndaree Member Posts: 56
    Well, the original post was really just a spur of the moment thing, so I've edited it to make more sense :)