Skip to content

Is there way to trick Edwin to join party with Neera?

Hi,

during my BG2EE play-trough I've gather my party as soon as possible (Cleric/Mage, Keldorn, Mazzy, Neera, Rasaad, Jan which will be replaced by Imoen) and then I wanted to do all companion quest before end of chapter 2, where Jan was the one and only character I dumped to make rest of companion quests.

I did not think one thing though - Edwin refuses to join because of Neera and I cannot temporally dump Neera, because she is my romance character.

Is there any way to trick Edwin to tolerate Neera while I will do his quest? :D

Comments

• ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Only thing I can think of is drop off Neera temporarily, then after picking her back up later, setting her romance variable back to 1 using ee keeper.

I wonder if you lock her in a house, go outside, and remove her, not allowing her to talk to you would let you then get Edwin, and when you're done with him, go back to Neera who will still be trying to talk to you, and then tell her you don't want her to leave after all?

I wonder if that would let you get them both in same party, too.
    gorgonzola
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Actually, you can temporarily dump any character in BG2EE without disrupting romances and the like. Find an enclosed area and shut the character in there, then drop them and leave without speaking with them. Ideally, you drop the character while your protagonist isn't even in the same room; they can't come after you to talk if they can't see you. When you want to take them back, go and talk to them; the conversation will be the "did you really want me to leave" dialog, and you can just put them back in the party.

The permanent consequences of dropped romances (and in some cases, characters leaving) only come if you allow a character to talk to you after being removed, and then tell that character you really meant for them to go.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure there's no way to have Neera and Edwin both in the party at the same time in the unmodded game. No matter what, she's not going to put up with working with a Red Wizard. There are probably mods out there that remove conflicts between party members, but in this case that just feels wrong.
    gorgonzola
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    jmerry wrote: »
    Actually, you can temporarily dump any character in BG2EE without disrupting romances and the like. Find an enclosed area and shut the character in there, then drop them and leave without speaking with them. Ideally, you drop the character while your protagonist isn't even in the same room; they can't come after you to talk if they can't see you. When you want to take them back, go and talk to them; the conversation will be the "did you really want me to leave" dialog, and you can just put them back in the party.

The permanent consequences of dropped romances (and in some cases, characters leaving) only come if you allow a character to talk to you after being removed, and then tell that character you really meant for them to go.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure there's no way to have Neera and Edwin both in the party at the same time in the unmodded game. No matter what, she's not going to put up with working with a Red Wizard. There are probably mods out there that remove conflicts between party members, but in this case that just feels wrong.

If you leave them both in separate houses, then use the "didn't really mean for you to go" option to let them both rejoin, will it bypass the whole "if he joins I'm leaving" part?
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    IIRC, Neera is actually the one who won't tolerate Edwin in the party. Edwin himself doesn't mind being with Neera (although he will draw the line at helping you with Neera's companion quest since that involves battling other Red Wizards). But yeah, in either case, it's not possible to have both in the same party under normal circumstances. Trying that "lock 'em in a house while you dismiss them" method would probably be your best bet.
  • HadarHadar Member Posts: 171
    @ElysianEchoes @Zaxares @jmerry

Actually, when Edwin joins, Neera does not say a word about him. But just few seconds after Edwin joins to party with Neera, he says that he won't travel with Neera and I must decide between him and her.

On the other hand Neera leaves when I want buy something from Gul Dukeem, regardless that I have already completed her whole story line and we are far in the romance
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    jmerry wrote: »
    Actually, you can temporarily dump any character in BG2EE without disrupting romances and the like.
    i have done it many times and worked, but one time with jaheira i left waiting for me for a very long time and lost her, i am not sure if i had a bug or there is some timer.
    but i would say that it is not 100% safe, maybe 99.99%.

personally i would drop neera, do the edwin's quest and dismiss him, taking her back "as if nothing would have happened". to have both in the party has no rp sense at all, can generate more problems then the alternative proposed by @jmerry and the xp neera loose is very few, better to pretend that she had something to do in the room you leave her, do the edwin's quest fast, and tell her that there has been a misunderstading and you never meant to really drop her.

@ElysianEchoes @jmerry @Zaxares @gorgonzola

I left Neera in house top of Copper Coronet, I did Edwin quest all way to the moment when he transfers to female, I drop Edwin in Copport Coronet and went back for Neera who told me that she tough we had nice time together and do I really want to leave her. I could only say that she is right, I could not say that this is misunderstanding and I never intended to leave her.

I hope that this will not break our romance. Especially that I will have to do it once more after two weeks to turn Edwin back to male.
    ElysianEchoesgorgonzola
    From my past experience, you should be fine. :) If you want to be doubly sure, you can check your Global Variables in EE Keeper. If the "NEERAROMANCEACTIVE" variable is set to 1 or 2, you're good. If it's set to 3, it means that the romance is broken.
    gorgonzola
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Just as a friendly RP reminder, be kind and return at some point, even if it is merely to dismiss them. I accidentally left Jaheira waiting in the De'Arnise keep forever on my last play through.
    gorgonzola
    @Maurvir
    I 'store' all my NPC in Copper Coronet. :P Only Jaheira gone forever after dismissing her after the end of her quest-line (more info here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/75747/i-hate-it).

@Zaxares
    I've done Edwin quest-line (but I had to twice dismiss Neera) - I understand that everything is OK with my romance with Neera?
    9x6rmvjutqn3.png

@ElysianEchoes @jmerry @Zaxares @gorgonzola
    I've done all companions quests except Nalia's (it is in progress) but I had to do the same trick with Keldorn (as with Neera), because he did not allow me to join Hexxat for second time (to do the Shroud of the Unproved part of Hexxat 's Request). Thank you for yours tips! :smiley:
    ElysianEchoesgorgonzola
    Yeah, I'd say that your Neera romance should be just fine. :) Based on your Lovetalks variable, you're pretty close to the end of the Neera romance too. Maybe just 1 or 2 more dialogues.
    @Zaxares

She did not spoke with me for ages, I though I must go to the Spellhold to move the romance forward :P
    That's actually possible. Some of the dialogues may have hidden requirements where they only fire once you're past certain points in the plot.