Skip to content

Good Party Evil Party Members Questions

Hey all, Spent a lot of time researching and planing to find a perfect group to suit me when I play through BG again ^_^

OK so for my first play through I wana have a good group which consists of

Good party
MC Mage (ill)
Imoen thief
Jaheira*/Yeslick ((Druid*/Cleric)/fighter)
Mincs ranger ( fighter)
Khalid fighter (ranger/fighter)
Ajantis? ( paladan)
Kivan?/Coran? ranger (ranger)
Dynaheir?/Quayle? (mage)
* = to be replaced by /
? = on the fence about

I really want Yeslick, Mincs and Khalid since I find then both entertaining and from what I have looked up can be useful in their own ways.

My dilemma here is i don't know if I want Ajantis and Mincs fight and Khalid range OR mincs and Khalid fight and Kivan or coran range. I think I am leaning more for Kivan but wanted to hear others opinions. Only reasons I would consider Ajantis is that I hear Khalid (though he is a fighter) he is good with a bow.

The Idea of a extra mage came to mind so I was thinking yeslick , mincs be fighter and Khalid be range with a extra Mage? If so Dynaheir or Quayle (him since i hear he was buffed alittle with EE...plus his dialog makes me laugh :P)

My Evil Group is abit more solid in terms of what I want

Evil Group
MC (cleric)
Edwin?/baeloth?( Mage)
Savanna (thief)
Shar-teel (fighter)
Kagain*/dorn (fighter)
Xan?/baeloth (Mage/sorc)
* = to be replaced by /
? = on the fence about

My main dilemma here is not sure what of the three spell casters will be kept. I was originally just gonna have Edwin (because come on, am i right?) and Xan (because I have never used him the way he is intended with spells like haste, mage armor, ect...) but then I saw baeloth and heard he was a beast, but never really used him. So I either wana have mad skilled mages or experiment with Xan.

As for the others they seem like good choices, Shar-Teel is a beast all on her own and Kagain seem like a good tank to have . Only reason I wana replace him with Dorn is he sounds awesome and fits more with a evil crowed then a money grabber like Kagain.

Interested to hear from people with the dos and donts of this setup :)

*Also I am ware that characters like Mincs, Dynaheir and Jaheira,Khalid need to be together but there are ways around that.

Reposting in general discussion to get some more opinions.

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I would ditch Xan for either Baeloth or Xzar, as far as your evil group is concerned.
    Elrandir
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'd be perfectly willing to help but I'm really not sure what you mean by

Mincs ranger ( fighter)

Minsc is a ranger, Khalid is a fighter. So unless you have plans to mod that I'm not really certain what you are asking when you later state "My dilemma here is i don't know if I want Ajantis and Mincs fight and Khalid range OR mincs and Khalid fight and Kivan or coran range. I think I am leaning more for Kivan but wanted to hear others opinions. Only reasons I would consider Ajantis is that I hear Khalid (though he is a fighter) he is good with a bow."

Are you talking about melee vs ranged characters or changing certain characters to be rangers?
  • MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2014
    The way I see it, the most powerful evil party is this:

Charname
    Kagain
    Dorn
    Viconia
    Shar-Teel (as a Fighter/Thief)
    Edwin

In this scenario Charname is usually a fighter type character and since you'll be a cleric it might be best to dual/multi class to a fighter. Alternatively you could take Baeloth and Edwin and remain a pure cleric but I don't see the point of having two mage-type NPCs so I'd dual class and take Viconia and either Edwin/Baeloth. You don't really need Safana so just dual class Shar-Teel to a thief and have her be the archer of the group and keep Dorn and Kagain together. Hope this helped.
  • HermansonHermanson Member Posts: 15
    elminster said:

Mincs ranger ( fighter)
    ?

Hey sorry for the confusion, I meant to state that I'd use Khalid as a ranger /fighter. So ideally I'd deck him to be a range character and if something got behind the front line I'd have him fight it or what have you. What I would like is a range with 2 fighter balance go on.

I think I might take coran on and keep kahild fighter but like I said I'm interested in any input available!
    Mhamza said:

Charname
    Kagain
    Dorn
    Viconia
    Shar-Teel (as a Fighter/Thief)
    Edwin

Thanks for the response and I do see what your saying, but my gold for both groups was to try the most difficult class to play for added difficulty. The cleric I chose to run was gonna be like viconia as much as I can just because it's something new to me.

I think though I will take your advice with Shar-teel because I'm no liking safana at all! I'm kinda disappointed actually!

Is making her part theif gonna hinder her fighter role at all or just up it with more damage?
  • MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2014
    It won't hinder her at all, she still does a ton of damage and you have an excuse to keep Dorn and Kagain. Make sure to buy a lot of arrows, and watch as enemies fall before they reach you. Alternatively you could also use her for backstab which i hear does a lot of damage, though i much prefer using her as an archer. Of course this is purely up to you.
  • HermansonHermanson Member Posts: 15
    Alrighty then thank last for the tip :-) I'm super excited to give this a run through.

Out of curiosity when using xan is it best to have another make?
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Xan is a good mage for crowd control, but Baeloth is just plain better.
  • LillyOberonLillyOberon Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2019
    Bgee on iPad, no mod, easy mode. I play with Baeloth in a good team at the moment and a reputation of 20 ( heroic).
    EEkeeper mostly to get early containers, reroll charname stats and edit Imoen’s Thieving skills

Cavalier(me) 6 - 2 weapon style and scimitar, long sword, 2h sword
    Ajantis paladin 6 - 2 handed weapon style, 2 handed sword and bastard sword
    Khalid pure fighter 6 - long sword ++++ and long bow + axe+
    Jaheira Fighter 5/ Druid 6 - sling club and quarter staff
    Imoen dual Thief 2 / mage 6 ( EEkeeper to give her more thieving skills ) short bow, dagger, short sword
    Baeloth Sorcerer 7 with 4 Skull traps (level 3) spells before entering The Cloakwood Mines, Darts, quarter staff

My team lost 2 points of reputation upon the arrival of Baeloth but continued to gain reputation until 18 through questing. Normally an evil character should become nervous and leave around 19 and I was preparing myself to have Baeloth leave the team and ask to come back. But when I reached reputation 19 nothing’s happened and the same when I reached reputation 20 with Baeloth in the team.

Btw in this game I decided to have Ajantis and Baeloth as soon as possible, to do a lot of side questing and to visit maps between the bandit camp and the cloakwood area. A so called shopping tour for items, gold and XP. So this time with 2 arcane casters in the team I had the easiest kill ever of the Ogre Mage Kahrk on the map of Firewine Bridge: He emerges from the jar with three spells active:

Minor Globe of Invulnerability
    Shield
    Protection From Normal Missiles

I let Imoen cast the level 3 Spell Thrust (all spell protections of 5th level and lower are removed from the target creature as though dispelled) obtained from the bandit camp > Ogre Mage looses his protections > team attacks > Ogre dead.

To come back to Baeloth: level 2 of Cloakwood Mines after your free Yeslick, I buffed Baeloth before opening the door and then ordered Baeloth to cast several Skull traps into the room with the mage Hareishan, while the rest of the party was still killing the 2 guards in the room before and is not allowed to progress > the mage and everyone in light of sight in that next room dead.

I wish I could recruit him in Bg2ee.
    It is nice to have a pure caster, sorcerer, with so many different spells memorised ( his special ring) in a good team.
    It is nice to have 2 arcane casters in the team (Baeloth and Imoen).

Edit: to avoid the hassle of editing a saved game on IPAD, remember that Imoen can drink several « Thief » potions to stack capacities ( eg. 3 potions of perception from a vendor in High Hedge who also sells a potion case). Also in Beregost you can recruit Neera to get a gem bag and there is a quest in the city giving you a scroll case.
    Post edited by LillyOberon on