Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Great Movies That No One Sees (Call it the Underrated Flick Discussion)

2»

Comments

  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    I like Asian movies more than their Western counterparts because they tend to have more complex plots, better character development, and are just generally more interesting. I have no idea how well-rated most my favorites are in their countries of origin, but in the U.S. they're almost unheard of. "The Promise" is a Chinese fantasy movie that I've heard had terrible ratings in China, but it's one of the best movies I've ever seen and so far everyone I've shown it to in the U.S. has agreed with me.

    1.) The Promise (Chinese)
    2.) The Restless (Korean)
    3.) My Wife is a Ganster 3 (Korean)
    4.) Bichunmoo (Korean)

    I could list more, but the above are the ones I don't think are popular in the U.S.

  • KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    Count de Mote Christo, I havent red the book but I really enjoyed the movie.

  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    ARKdeEREH said:

    I like Asian movies more than their Western counterparts because they tend to have more complex plots, better character development, and are just generally more interesting. I have no idea how well-rated most my favorites are in their countries of origin, but in the U.S. they're almost unheard of. "The Promise" is a Chinese fantasy movie that I've heard had terrible ratings in China, but it's one of the best movies I've ever seen and so far everyone I've shown it to in the U.S. has agreed with me.

    1.) The Promise (Chinese)
    2.) The Restless (Korean)
    3.) My Wife is a Ganster 3 (Korean)
    4.) Bichunmoo (Korean)

    I could list more, but the above are the ones I don't think are popular in the U.S.


    Lol, The Promise is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It's one of those movies that's so ridiculously bad that it actually becomes pretty good if you view it as a comedy.

  • _N8__N8_ Member Posts: 77
    The Evil Dead series, including Army of Darkness with Bruce Campbell.

  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,582
    _N8_ said:

    The Evil Dead series, including Army of Darkness with Bruce Campbell.

    I think that's more popular then you think! Especially Army of Darkness, which is the absolute best. Cult Classic.

  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    Awong124 said:

    ARKdeEREH said:

    I like Asian movies more than their Western counterparts because they tend to have more complex plots, better character development, and are just generally more interesting. I have no idea how well-rated most my favorites are in their countries of origin, but in the U.S. they're almost unheard of. "The Promise" is a Chinese fantasy movie that I've heard had terrible ratings in China, but it's one of the best movies I've ever seen and so far everyone I've shown it to in the U.S. has agreed with me.

    1.) The Promise (Chinese)
    2.) The Restless (Korean)
    3.) My Wife is a Ganster 3 (Korean)
    4.) Bichunmoo (Korean)

    I could list more, but the above are the ones I don't think are popular in the U.S.


    Lol, The Promise is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It's one of those movies that's so ridiculously bad that it actually becomes pretty good if you view it as a comedy.
    I like it when stories (books/movies/games, etc) portray immortality or other forms of unaturally extended life as a good thing and don't try to cram their false morality down the audience's throat by insisting that living a long time is somehow evil or requires some random nonsensical catch. Almost every movie, book, or game I have seen/read/played that in any way involved extended life also came with this false morality. "The Promise" is one of the very few that did not. The most logical thing for Kun-lun to do was to put on the magic cloak to save his own life (and in so doing become near-immortal) and to help re-write time for a more favorable outcome. Had "The Promise" been an American movie, Kun-lun would almost certainly have decided he was better off dead and the world was better off with all the problems it had because putting on the cloak in order to fix these problems would somehow be be evil, when in reality the opposite would be true. "The Promise" is one of my favorite movies of all time because it is one of the very few movies I've seen that do not force this false morality on the audience. I also like I like the story, the acting, and the great special effects, but what really makes it stand out for me is its stance on the immortality issue.

  • ZraenianZraenian Member Posts: 26

    @zraenian, YES thank you for mentioning that gem of a movie called "pan's labyrinth". Rarely does a movie make me feel emotions like that one, specially the hatred i had towards one of the main characters(trying to avoid spoilers). I don't mind the subtitles though i knew enough of the language to understand most of it without having to read all of them. I'll add 2 other films that critics didn't like(those are usually the movies i know i'll enjoy hehe) and many may disagree, but i thought they were good if you're into underrated artsy films. Mirromask and Solaris with Clooney and my Natasha....errr i mean Natasha Mcelhone. Those 2 aren't for everyone but i did enjoy them...the music in itself in solaris was appealing.

    I must have a cheekbone fetish cause i have a big crush on Natasha Mcelhone and Olivia Wilde in that sexy outfit in tron:legacy lol

    Mirrormask was enjoyable. Solaris ive never seen. Im not to keen on sci-fi, but if i find the time i might watch it. :)

    I also liked "the Fall" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460791/

    Moomintroll
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    edited October 2012
    I'll see if i can find "The Fall" on a site i go to watch movies on. The IMBD people reviews were mixed, but like Mirrormask, i suspect the naysayers just didn't "get it". As far as Solaris goes, it's not really a sci-fi so much as a character driven film set in a sci-fi environment. I honestly thought this was clooney's best performance i've ever seen from him.

    Moomintroll
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,496
    @Gilgalahad He was pretty good in Return of the Killer Tomatoes.

  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    ARKdeEREH said:

    Awong124 said:

    ARKdeEREH said:

    I like Asian movies more than their Western counterparts because they tend to have more complex plots, better character development, and are just generally more interesting. I have no idea how well-rated most my favorites are in their countries of origin, but in the U.S. they're almost unheard of. "The Promise" is a Chinese fantasy movie that I've heard had terrible ratings in China, but it's one of the best movies I've ever seen and so far everyone I've shown it to in the U.S. has agreed with me.

    1.) The Promise (Chinese)
    2.) The Restless (Korean)
    3.) My Wife is a Ganster 3 (Korean)
    4.) Bichunmoo (Korean)

    I could list more, but the above are the ones I don't think are popular in the U.S.


    Lol, The Promise is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It's one of those movies that's so ridiculously bad that it actually becomes pretty good if you view it as a comedy.
    I like it when stories (books/movies/games, etc) portray immortality or other forms of unaturally extended life as a good thing and don't try to cram their false morality down the audience's throat by insisting that living a long time is somehow evil or requires some random nonsensical catch. Almost every movie, book, or game I have seen/read/played that in any way involved extended life also came with this false morality. "The Promise" is one of the very few that did not. The most logical thing for Kun-lun to do was to put on the magic cloak to save his own life (and in so doing become near-immortal) and to help re-write time for a more favorable outcome. Had "The Promise" been an American movie, Kun-lun would almost certainly have decided he was better off dead and the world was better off with all the problems it had because putting on the cloak in order to fix these problems would somehow be be evil, when in reality the opposite would be true. "The Promise" is one of my favorite movies of all time because it is one of the very few movies I've seen that do not force this false morality on the audience. I also like I like the story, the acting, and the great special effects, but what really makes it stand out for me is its stance on the immortality issue.
    Honestly I can't really remember what it was about anymore. I just remember several ridiculous hilarious scenes. Like when that guy was flying the woman like a kite, I laughed my ass off on that scene. Or when the guy was running with the stampede and the special effects were so bad.

  • WonderviceWondervice Member Posts: 56

    I'll see if i can find "The Fall" on a site i go to watch movies on. The IMBD people reviews were mixed, but like Mirrormask, i suspect the naysayers just didn't "get it". As far as Solaris goes, it's not really a sci-fi so much as a character driven film set in a sci-fi environment. I honestly thought this was clooney's best performance i've ever seen from him.

    If it helps boost your confidence in the movie - I liked Mirrormask a lot, and I think the Fall is excellent.
    The cell - from the same director - is also worth a look IMHO.

  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    edited October 2012

    I'll see if i can find "The Fall" on a site i go to watch movies on. The IMBD people reviews were mixed, but like Mirrormask, i suspect the naysayers just didn't "get it". As far as Solaris goes, it's not really a sci-fi so much as a character driven film set in a sci-fi environment. I honestly thought this was clooney's best performance i've ever seen from him.

    If it helps boost your confidence in the movie - I liked Mirrormask a lot, and I think the Fall is excellent.
    The cell - from the same director - is also worth a look IMHO.
    Right after i posted my last comment i went to my site and found "the fall" and watched it. What a beautiful story. That kid was a bad actress which is what made her that much more special because she was more believable than many so called child actors reading from a script. I hate movies that make me cry, but at the end i couldn't stop myself. That little angel just stole my heart. As far as the cell goes, i remember it from way back and i think i liked it lol...can't remember.

  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    edited October 2012
    Cube (1997) is an underrated movie for me. Everyone I know has never heard of it. I remember when it came out in cinemas and only one indy cinema was playing it where I live and didn't see it myself. I remember the poster though. Years later I picked it up from the video shop and loved it.

    AlexM
  • AlexMAlexM Member Posts: 110

    Cube (1997) is an underrated movie for me. Everyone I know has never heard of it. I remember when it came out in cinemas and only one indy cinema was playing it where I live and didn't see it myself. I remember the poster though. Years later I picked it up from the video shop and loved it.

    Cube is an amazing movie. I started watching it not knowing anything about it, and it blew me away. The sequels don't do the first film much justice (especially the 3rd one).

    ginger_hammer
  • ZraenianZraenian Member Posts: 26
    AlexM said:

    Cube (1997) is an underrated movie for me. Everyone I know has never heard of it. I remember when it came out in cinemas and only one indy cinema was playing it where I live and didn't see it myself. I remember the poster though. Years later I picked it up from the video shop and loved it.

    Cube is an amazing movie. I started watching it not knowing anything about it, and it blew me away. The sequels don't do the first film much justice (especially the 3rd one).
    Sequals rarely do, i cant think of many sequals that did the first one justice. I'm inclined to look at it as another money grabbing "i dont care what the fans think" movie for the productioncompanies.

    Especially when the first 1 is taken from a pre-written (book, comic, game or etc) and they just make up a story to "fit" their money grabbing clutches!

    But on topic, the cube was cool indeed.

Sign In or Register to comment.