Skip to content

Cannot connect to my own server

Hi i have a server hosted via nwnserver.exe running fine other players can connect

however i cannot connect as a player or a dm.

it tells me no response or timed out im trying to direct connect as i cannot see my own server in the list.

If i host the server through the game client i can host and log in as either a player or dm but not both.

the other downside is if i log out server goes down.

Any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• ObaObaObaOba Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2017
    Try to log in with fixed Player Name, It solved the issue for me.
    I couldn't see my server on the list either.
    For the logout crash... I had the same issue.
    Fixed that by editing my OnClientLeave event script for the module.
  • OriginalnwnonlyOriginalnwnonly Member Posts: 28
    its not so much a crash its just i hosted through the game client and when you do that if you leave it closes the server down. which isnt convient lol.

ill have a look into fixed name but cant see that having much effect
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @Originalnwnonly

The issue you're describing smells suspiciously like a firewall problem. You didn't mention if this was windows, linux or mac, so I am going to assume windows.

While I have not tested the latest version of the game client, I can validate that we've done a multitude of testing on nwnserver hosted servers from all supported OS's without any issues at all...in other words, I don't know if a bug where NWNSERVER is not functioning while hosting the game from the game client interface works.

Some generic comments:
    * Make sure the port information is right. i.e. Make sure the port you're hosting on is the same port you're trying to connect to from the client.
    * Make sure the game client on your "connect to" system is the same version of NWN as the "connect from" system. (i.e. your client and server are the same version of NWN).
    * As an initial test, make sure ALL firewalls between your server and client are turned OFF. This is NOT how I'd leave them (that would be insecure) but at LEAST it tells you whether there's an issue on your end or the client/server end. Remember that both Windows and Linux have disruptive firewalls turned on by default that will affect a client/server connecting to each other on your same network (I do not believe Mac does, though I'm unsure about this).
    * Windows 10 has a "telnet" app that you can install (other OS's have downloads or packages that can be installed). Telnet is a great tool for testing connectivity...telnet to the server and port (see your telnet command's documentation). If it makes a connection you know the port is open and receiving connections, if not that means there's a block in the way. (SSH does not have the same functionality as far as I know).
    * Remember that you must have a module loaded into the NWNSERVER for it to be "turned on" and functional.
    * Remember that ANY firewall could be a problem. Your Wireless Router, Your Client System, your Server System and any other "routing" hardware in between the two could be causing the issue if there's a firewall turned on.
    * Try running the server and client on the same computer. Run your NWNSERVER, create your server and load your module, then open your nwnclient.exe on the same computer and try to connect...first using localhost (127.0.0.1:) and next using your computer's IP Address (you can get this using "ipconfig /all" at a command prompt). If a local client connects to a local server it's likely a firewall issue.
  • OriginalnwnonlyOriginalnwnonly Member Posts: 28
    sorted was port forwarding issue
  • jpsweeney94jpsweeney94 Member Posts: 93
    edited September 2019
    Sorry to raise old thread but I'm having the same issue. I'm hosting a server on nwserver.exe on my windows machine. I can join that server on the same windows machine using direct connection no problem as player or DM.

However, I am unable to connect as player or DM on my Mac on the same network. I can see the server, but I am unable to connect. Error: "Attempting to find server. Connection to server has failed".

I've been hosting and joining on both machines for around a year with no problems. But I moved and have a new network now so I assume that's the issue. No idea what exactly though. Maybe port forwarding? what exactly do I need to do remedy that? what ports needs to be forwarded, etc?

Thanks
  • jpsweeney94jpsweeney94 Member Posts: 93
    Bump?