After many recent LoB runs, where killing one kobold is an adventure of itself, I thought to myself : "what if I actually don't kill anyone ?"
I know that it is impossible to complete the game without any enemy dying (contrary to Fallout 1 for example, Fallout 2 is almost the same, but one big boss at the end requires dying), but I wanted to avoid fighting as much as possible.
From what I gathered, in BG1 at least, not many enemies need dying : Mulahey, Davaeorn, the doppelgangers at Ducal Palace and Sarevok are the only mandatory enemy deaths.
So with that in mind, I also thought that a minimal-rest run would have good synergy with such a run, so I decided to limit myself to one rest per chapter.
The plan is to (ab)use pickpocketing, charming enemies (without having them killed, that would be too easy, but to allow pickpocketing them) and disabling spells (sleep, web, hold and co).
As I restrict myself to 1 rest per chapter, I will try to avoid going back and forth between far-away areas, but some travel will be unavoidable to get some non-violent quest XP.
I don’t have my screenshots with me while writing this, but here’s a summary so far :
Main Character :
Jolluv – lawful neutral gnomish Illusionist/Thief : 18/18/17/19/9/13 (94, really lucky roll, did not even take very long).
Spell picks : Find Familiar, Friends, Blindness (mandaroty illu spell), chose Friends & Blindness first
Thief skills : 60 open locks, the rest in stealth (as Invisibility spell won’t be available until 10k XP)
Pips : darts (for darts of stunning) and Staff, as a blunt weapon seemed mandatory RP-wise for this kind of non-lethal run.
- Did a few quests in Candlekeep, followed the Gatewarden for a training session, gulped a Oil of Speed from a temporary companion and immediately left, ran to Fuller, cast Friends, completed his quest (Dagger +1) and ran to the Inn to convince the nobles to stash their jewels away (Friends has very short duration, I needed the haste from the potion to ensure my Reaction was high enough for both Fuller & the nobles, could not care less about Hull’s reward). Looted all the Inn’s chests, learned Identify spell.
at Winthrop’s inn (memorized spells : Familiar + Friends), cast Familiar = Ferret (50% pickpocket)
End of Prologue : 300 XP ; around 2.500 GPChapter 1:
- Crossroad : looted remnants from Gorion’s last stand, found a nice gem in a tree, grabbed all gear from would-be companions
- High Hedge : visited Thalantyr : cast Friends, bought a few scrolls (mainly sleep, friends, invisibility, and charm spells), bought a sleep wand. Outside, with the help of stealth (takes ages to actually work though…), aggroed a gnoll away from his friends, cast Charm Person from a scroll, asked my Ferret to pickpocket perdue’s sword
- Beregost : looted ALL containers/locks in town (found a invisibility potion, should come in handy), appeased Marl (900XP), had familiar pickpocket Algernon + Silke, bought a book for Firebead (+1 REP), gave Perdue his sword back, which allowed me to LVL UP (all thief skills in stealth) stats : 2.700 XP / 3.500 GP + unindentified items to sell
- Lathander Temple : identified some items (mainly Algernon’s cloak)
- Area North of Beregost : charmed an ogre with Algernon’s cloak, ferret stole his belts
- Friendly Arm Inn : got a wizard ring beneath some rocks, identified gear and bought some potions, avoided Tarnesh to enter the inn, gave some gnome his belt back, took Jaheira’s Potion of Invisibility.RESTED
at FAI’s inn (memorized spells : 2x Charm / 1x Identify / 1x Sleep), charmed a hobgoblin and ferret pickpocketed him, gave Joia her ring back (+1 REP).
So far : 3.600 XP.
- North to Ankheg’s map : accepted Sonner’s quest, had ferret pickpocket him though (Flail +1 and strange Bowl), stealthed my way into Ankheg’s cave, grabbed the loot and immediately gulped a Potion of Invisibility, helped Brun (+1 REP and lots of XP) hit 5k total XP = LVL UP! (Disarm Traps to 40, the rest in stealth)
- Wyrm’s crossing : gave some little girl her bowl back (+2500 XP), had to “talk” some sense into her with my staff first though (I actually could have avoided it since I already had the bowl, but it made no sense RP wise since my MC had no way of knowing it was hers)
- Back south to High Hedge to buy some potions/scrolls and a potion bag
- South then west to Lighthouse : stealthed my way into the cave, disarmed a few traps, waited for the flesh golem to walk away and looted the pool (mainly for the CON tome and Wand of Paralyzation), sneaked my way back out.
- Archeological Site: freed Brage from his curse (+1000XP ; 1000 GP and +1 REP)Chapter 2:
- Nashkel : looted/lockpicked everything, out-talked Noober (400 XP) and corrected Oublek’s mistake (+1 REP)
- Map SW of Nashkell : Helped Albert find his dog Ruffie (+1000 XP) hit 10k XP LVL UP ! (upped Disarm Traps and Pickpocket)
- Cloudpeak Mountains : found a cat in a waterfall. Did not give it back to Drienne yet (reaction not high enough)
- Gnoll Stronghold : Stealthed my way into the cave, looted the chest, cast Sleep, stealthed my way back out of the map : Identified the book, CHA went up to 14 without modifiers ;
- Cloudpeak Mountains : with 15 REP (+1 reaction) and 16 CHARISMA with Algernon’s cloak (+4 reaction), it was enough to give Drienne her cat back and get better rewards (+200XP, +1 REP, Protection from Undead scroll)
- Back to Nashkell : entered the Inn while stealthed, aggroed Neira into a back room and hid in shadows again.RESTED
at the Inn (memorized spells : 2x Identify, 2x Friends, 1x Charm Person, 1x Sleep, 2x Invisibility), got Bhaal’s dream ability.
- Nashkell Mines : Stealthed my way into the mines, grabbed Joseph’s ring, disarmed traps, Paralyzed Mulahey with the wand, pounced his head with my reliable quarterstaff, looted his corpse and chest.
End of Chapter 2: about 11k XP, lots of gold, one person dead.Chapter 3:
- Exited mines : gave Hentold’s dagger to the revenant, grabbed Invisibility potion from his coffin
- South Eastern map: rescued Samuel, talked to a gnome (Prot. From Magic scroll), grabbed Ring of Fire resistance
- Carnival: bought a few potions, while MC is in stealth, ferret pickpocketed Vitiare for his Potion of Master Thievery (oh the irony)
- Nashkell : talked to Berrun (+1 REP, +1.000 XP, 900 GP) and Joseph’s wife (+800 XP)
- Area north of Nashkel: grabed Cloquette’s family amulet
- Beregost: talked to Colquette (+1 REP), bought Shadow Armor from Taerom (18 REP + friends meant it cost only around 8,5k GP), visited Landrin’s house, cast Sleep on the spiders and grabbed the wine & boots from the chest.
- Friendly Arm Inn : rescued Samuelle (+1 REP), spoke to Landrin (6 antidotes, plus some XP and gold for the wine and boots)RESTED
again at F.A.I. and got my second bhaal’s power
- Larswood: got recruited by Teven
- Bandit Camp : looted/lockpicked every container, stealthed my way into the chief’s tent, disarmed a trap and grabbed the documents to trigger the next chapter, before running away while invisible.
End of Chapter 3 : much much gold, still only 1 kill so far.Chapter 4 :
- Had to go north to Ulgoth’s Beard : it is too far away, my character was fatigued, which I wanted to avoid as much as possible. Gulped a Potion of Perception + Potion of Mind Focusing and stole RoFA from Dushai, bought Aule’s staff
- Friendly Arm Inn : mandatory REST
- First Cloakwood map : nothing to declare, just frolicking in the woods
- Second Cloakwood map (spiders) : agreed to help Tiber, disarmed all traps while under Invisibility spell, grabbed the Scimitar, visited the nest and grabbed the loot and Chelak’s body, immediately gulped a Potion of Invisibility (casting time for the spell being too long), before sloooowly made my way back to Tiber (I was overloaded, that dead guy is HEAVY)
- Third and Fourth Cloakwood maps : nothing to declare, just making my way to the mines.
- Cloakwood mines: avoided Drasus and co, stealthed my way directly to Davaeorn (freeing some slaves and grabbing some minor loot on the way). Killed Davaeorn by hiding in the shadows everytime he tried casting a spell (fleeing with a Oil of Speed everytime he spotted me), then bashed his skull with my staff once he ran out of spells
End of Chapter 4 : second kill, unavoidable (tried to flood the mines just stealing his key & letters, but chapter 5 won’t trigger and the bridge in Wyrm’s crossing won’t lower, so I had to reload a prior save).
Next up : Chapter 5 and Baldur’s gate. I might first make a visit to Durlag’s tower, and I am currently considering charming a basilisk to petrify everyone in the map (only once, no Stone-to-Flesh scrolls cheese abuse) to get some XP. Since petrified enemies are not dead per se, but it still feels a bit contradictory to the premise of the run.