Skip to content

[MOD] Siege of Dragonspear 2 Baldur's Gate2:EE Item Upgrade - v2.0.5 released!

Comments

• Caszidy wrote: »
    May I have a little request here?
    Could you please add some magic spear or make some of them upgradable so it would be strong enough to be usable thorought the whole game? There are so few of them :'(

Funny you should ask. I have an idea for a spear that I am hoping will work the way I plan.
    Caszidy
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,428
    Btw this mod currently also adds Helm of Opposite Alignment, don't know if it's your intention because you don't mention it?
    StummvonBordwehr
  • Its intenional. Its one of the more useful items in the game if you know how to use it. I put it in as an easter egg of sorts
    Aedan
  • _Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 169
    edited September 2019
    Hello, I was experimenting with this mod and I found one issue: Cromwell says that he can improve the acid long sword if I bring him a blazing sword tiery as hells. I thought that either the flame swords or the Burning Earth could work but actually he still asks me the same thing and I can't upgrade the sword.

EDIT: nevermind, I checked with EEKeeper and the upgraded version requires Angurvadal. I think that Cromwell's request should be more accurate, though.
    Post edited by _Connacht_ on
  • _Connacht_ wrote: »
    Hello, I was experimenting with this mod and I found one issue: Cromwell says that he can improve the acid long sword if I bring him a blazing sword tiery as hells. I thought that either the flame swords or the Burning Earth could work but actually he still asks me the same thing and I can't upgrade the sword.

EDIT: nevermind, I checked with EEKeeper and the upgraded version requires Angurvadal. I think that Cromwell's request should be more accurate, though.

Thank you very much for the feedback!

The ambiguity was intentional there, to make the player think and try to figure out which sword to use. Angurvadal is referred to in-game as "Frithior's blazing sword".

• The next update is still in progress, I haven't had as much time to work on it as I would like this week.
    ThacoBellFina92Caszidy
  • Daeros_TrollkillerDaeros_Trollkiller Member Posts: 325
    I am still working on the next update, I still havent has as much time to work on it as I would like, but I have been making progress. I have a couple of items left to complete, then placement, then I will release for play.
    ThacoBellCaszidy
    Progress is coming along, and even though this update is taking longer than I would like, I believe the results will be worth it. For the curious, the big reason this next update is taking so long is that I have added a lot more items and upgrades for them than I had initially intended. Also, many of these upgraded items have custom effects on them that take a great deal of time to create and test to ensure they work the way I want them to.

To give an estimate, it takes me roughly a day to create a new item with a custom effect, and test it to ensure it works. Then, depending on how complex the recipe is for Cromwell or Cespenar, it can take another day to create those and get them working right. Factor in errors I find during testing and go back to correct and you get the picture :)

At any rate, I have one more item to create and test, then I will be working on placement in-game, and finally release. For those who are following this mod, thank you for your patience, I believe you will be very happy with this next update!
    CaszidyThacoBellStummvonBordwehrGusinda
    version 0.2.0 is up!
    StummvonBordwehrLudwig_IICaszidyThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Nice! Time to start that planned BG2 run!
    v0.2.1 released - mostly just some cleanup and corrections
    StummvonBordwehrCaszidyThacoBell
    v0.2.2 released - another minor update with some corrections
    StummvonBordwehrCaszidyThacoBell
    v0.2.3 released - yet another minor update - ability tooltip definitions.
    CaszidyStummvonBordwehrThacoBell
    edited November 2019
    [Redacted]
    Post edited by Daeros_Trollkiller on
    DjinnThacoBell
    Now that I have cleaned up my mod, I have started work on v0.3.0. I plan to include a few more items, along with upgrades for them, provided I can make them work the way I want to.

Also planning to include unique icons for some of the upgraded items that don't have them yet, and changing some of the effects on a couple of items that I'm not really happy with.

As always, I am looking for any and all feedback on this mod from players. Any gaping holes in the item set that aren't covered? Any items overpowered? Recipes broken? Dialogue mistakes?
    ThacoBellCaszidyGusinda
    A quick update: v0.3.0 is coming along. I've completed the artwork for several of the new item icons, and I've added a couple of more items from SoD with upgrade paths for them.

I am also going back over a some of the items and updating both their abilities and upgrade paths and requirements as I wasn't really happy with how they turned out. I think everyone will like the end results.
    ThacoBellCaszidyGusindaBlackstone
  • BlackstoneBlackstone Member Posts: 13
    I really appreaciate your work on this mod and I'm looking forward to trying it out on my next playthrough. Have you considered adding the Wizzard's Hat?
  • NeoNeo Member Posts: 127
    edited November 2019
    Hello! I've been pushing away my 2nd BG2 EE playthrough for about 2 years now and wanted to get into it now that I just played through IWD EE. Part of the reason was because I wanted to run with a solo Monk (I cleared BG1 EE and SOA with him and ready to be imported into BG2) but there are very few items for monks in the series. I looked back at Edvin's mod but for some reason, I can't get the link to work. I kept looking and found your post and mod here.

Unfortunately, the main item I want from SoD isn't on your list. It's called "Headband of Focus" (probably low demand for it, I don't think monks are very popular). There were also some boots that were nice (Slippers of something) that gave +1AC +1 Dex and +2 save vs invocation spells if I remember well.

I'll keep an eye on this thread from time to time in case you make a new version with the Headband (your link in this post does work for me) : P
    Thank you both for the suggestions, I will take them into consideration after I am finished with v0.3.0.
    I'm about to start on SoA and wanted to know if there was a way to check whether the additional items were being imported correctly. I've had trouble in the past getting the game to recognise the normal items you can import from SoD and had to change the BD_SOD_IMPORT_## variables.

Do the items all need to be on CHARNAME, but not in a Bag of Holding?
    I believe you can use EE keeper to check, but in my personal experience:

you have to import a saved game, not a saved character into BG2 for the items to import properly, and yes, putting them on CHARNAME not in a bag of holding yields the best results.

One thing I am considering doing with my mod , if I can do it, is offer an option to set the variables for all importable SoD items to be active. I didn't really want to do that in the beginning, but it would help with items not importing properly.
    ThacoBell
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    Following on this, my understanding is that the Sod items that you have added in your mod will be in BG2 regardless of you have them in your inventory or not during save-game import, is this correct?
    Everything seems to have imported fine this time with everything in CHARNAME's inventory. It is a bit of a pain having to make sure you have everything in your inventory and not on your companions so an option to just import everything would be nice, but I can see why you didn't want to include that before.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I believe you can use EE keeper to check, but in my personal experience:

you have to import a saved game, not a saved character into BG2 for the items to import properly, and yes, putting them on CHARNAME not in a bag of holding yields the best results.

One thing I am considering doing with my mod , if I can do it, is offer an option to set the variables for all importable SoD items to be active. I didn't really want to do that in the beginning, but it would help with items not importing properly.

I for one, would appreciate a component to port over all the normal SoD items available. You can't import your save game if you use mod classes, since the kitlist tables are different between games. You wouldn't get the class or abilities right on an import.
    edited November 2019
    Ludwig_II wrote: »
    Following on this, my understanding is that the Sod items that you have added in your mod will be in BG2 regardless of you have them in your inventory or not during save-game import, is this correct?

That is correct. The added items will be in BG2EE regardless of whether you had them in SoD, or whether you imported a game or character from SoD at all. I know that may not be ideal for some, but creating global variables in both games that relied on each other to work would:

1. require modding both BGEE/SoD and BG2EE
    2. Not necessarily work all that well. Afterall, the items that *do* xfer normally via importing don't always get imported properly.

I am being thoughtful in the manner of which I am placing additional items from SoD into BG2EE. For the most part, I am bringing in items that, in my opinion, most players would likely have acquired in an SoD game and have at the end of the game. In my selection of such items, I am also being mindful to bring in the more unique and useful items, especially those that fill gaps.

And in terms of actual placement, I consider two perspectives: If most of this gear was sold or traded off by Irenicus, who would have purchased it? or Where would it most make sense to be at?
    Post edited by Daeros_Trollkiller on
    I am going to look into the possibility of adding an optional component to the mod to guarantee all normally importable items from SoD are present (in their normal locations) in a future update.

This will be dependent on if I can make it work without creating duplicates, and one issue I can already see with doing this is the Voidsword/Voidhammer problem. Only one or the other is supposed to be imported normally. I might leave that one alone and leave it up to normal importing.

I greatly appreciate all the feedback and suggestions on my mod. My hope is to make this into the best item mod for BG2EE :smiley:
    v0.3.0 has been released!
    CaszidyThacoBell