Skip to content

[REQUEST] Gaelan Bayle Needs More Gold

JarveyJarvey Member Posts: 31
So this was an idea brought up over here when discussing SoA's pacing. Rounding up 20,000 gold for Gaelan Bayle is too easy. 20,000 is a number that seems intimidating if you've never played SoA before, but you'll probably get 20,000 within one or two major side quests. This has the side effect of creating pacing issues in relation to the main quest, particularly for completionists who want to experience as much of SoA's content as possible.

This request is for a mod that raises the amount of gold Gaelan Bayle needs to 60,000. It would help the game's pacing, as the player would need to complete more quests to get the needed gold before progressing. I've seen that Sword Coast Stratagems has a component that does what I'm asking for, but it's a small part of a large gameplay mod that I don't wish to use, and sadly I don't have the Infinity Engine modding know-how to pull this off myself. :|

Comments

• Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    edited November 2019
    SCS already has a component that does this. From the readme:
    Increase the price asked by Gaelan Baele (BG2, BG2EE, BGT)
    This component aims both to make it more realistic for the player to linger in chapter 2 of SoA (which in gameplay terms is often rather tempting, but is hard to justify on roleplaying grounds) and to add an extra challenge by restricting the player's wealth in the first part of the game. As everyone knows, in the unmodded game Gaelan asks the player to provide 20,000gp. With this component installed, he will want more - between 40,000gp and 120,000gp, depending on which option you choose during installation.
  • JarveyJarvey Member Posts: 31
    Ludwig_II wrote: »
    SCS already has a component that does this.

I know, but I'd rather not have to install a mod that introduces a large number of gameplay changes just to get this one component.
    As far as I know, you can install only this component and nothing else if that’s what you prefer
  • JarveyJarvey Member Posts: 31
    As far as I know, you can install only this component and nothing else if that’s what you prefer

Huh. I seem to recall that it had a mandatory core component that had to be installed, but it either isn't the case or doesn't perform gameplay changes on its own. I just installed the mod for that component and it doesn't seem to have introduced any unwanted gameplay changes.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I feel like a fool for not simply trying it out myself before making a topic. :s

edited November 2019
    It has a core component called Initialise AI, but it’s only a prerequisite for AI and Tactical Challenges components. Gameplay changes are independent.

No need to feel like a fool, I learn new things in this forum every day even though I’ve been playing the game for so long. All good.
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited November 2019
    A better mod idea imo (or best of all, in conjunction with the SCS component) is to reduce the quest-end gold rewards across the board.
    They're simply way too lucrative - that's part of the reason why 20000gp (which SHOULD feel like an astronomical amount) seems like a joke pretty early on.
    The other part is that BG's version of Amn has expensive magical items growing on trees practically; there's probably no easy way to tweak this part other than making merchants much more stingy with buyback across the board, but at least reducing gold rewards (like Nalia giving you over 10k right off the bat without batting an eyelash - 2000gp sounds much more reasonable) would help bring the crazy economy down to earth a bit, AND it would incentivize characters who actually care about Imoen to keep adventuring longer in chapter 2 in order to acquire enough coin!
    Honestly, this is one of the biggest plot weaknesses in a game full of them, bad enough that conscientious modders like Jastey have been trying to come up with solutions for years (Imoen is petrified, Imoen never left your side, etc). Make it so you HAVE to pretty much take on most ch2 quests in order to raise sufficient funds vs the vanilla game where it's stupidly, hilariously easy to hit 20k after 2 quests.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @ithildurnew Do not forget what your level is. There is a reason why Siege of Dragonspear treats you as the VIP. The rewards you receive are not unreasonable.
    What is odd is how lawful-good characters loot Nalia's place of all valuables while she is watching them.
    The magical items you collect in the keep are collectively worth a lot more than the monetary reward, and many of them will go straight into the hands of Ribald Barterman.
    edited November 2019
    SoD treats you as VIP because you just saved the whole city if not the entire Sword Coast from serious trouble; it's got nothing to do with wealth or levels.
    You're around level 7-9 range typically when D'Arnese Keep is finished. 10000gp is an outlandish amount of coin for a quest at that point/level/difficulty range both from a game system standpoint and economy/worldbuilding perspective. Ironically even within the game itself, the dialog acknowledges that Fierkragg offering 10k for 'simple monster slaying' is an 'astounding' amount of coin offered.
    BG2 isn't tabletop obviously (where you can get a very nice drink and meal at an inn for a silver piece), but just to give some framework/reference, check out the DMG sometime, any edition. 10k+ at that level, especially from an estate that's just lost it's patriarch and is going to need to recover for some time, is pretty outlandish.
    Add to that the fact you're already halfway to the 20k goal with one quest, and then the truckloads of magical items you can sell; the rewards especially early game are not well balanced; frankly the entire economy is fantastically messed up but thats rather typical as most DnD campaigns are fairly poorly managed in terms of overall economy.
    There's a reason why people ask for tweaks to the target amount and why SCS has had this mod component for years. A lot of casual CRPGplayers tend to get used to monty haul style bloated numbers as the norm, sadly. But that's how you sell games.
    Post edited by ithildurnew on
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    The SCS solution of just upping Gaelan's price goes a really long way to restore the importance of gold in the one place where it matters. I don't think that other, more granular, changes to the "economy" can produce a material difference in how the game plays.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    The Store Revisions component of Item Revisions will keep you poor for awhile :). There are one or two mods that adjust gold rewards for quests as well- e.g. Aurora's Shoes for the original game I think.
    I think the main thing that breaks the economy is the prices of magic items. You acquire so many of them and selling these makes you super rich. So, a solution for that could be having a significantly bigger difference between buy/sell prices of the items. That would force you to think twice before buying an expensive item as well.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @ithildurnew You are not doing simple monster hunting for Nalia. Simple monster hunting is what Firkraag's illusion spell makes you think you are doing when you go to the Windspear Hills: slaughtering a handful of monsters. This sort of quest could be accepted by level 4 characters (who would not be worth that much money), which is why Jierdan points out that he is paying so much to get top grade adventurers. You are scratching level 10 when you accept the quest, and at that level, you accept jobs of a completely different level. If somebody needs you, they better pay what you are worth - hence the 10K.
    A level 10 character should not have trouble quickly raising such amounts of money. That is why this thread points out that the Shadow Thieves (and the vampires) should demand more money.
    Level 5 makes you a veteran adventurer.
    Level 10 means you are probably the strongest guy of whatever town you are in (except very large hubs like Athkatla). Nalia's quest is not the only one open to you. You are also asked to save the Umar Hills (where not only the very experienced ranger has been lost, but a team of veterans has failed as well) and Trademeet (an important economic center with lots of money to pay for the best of adventurers, and you are the best they can get). Nalia's quest is not trivial either. Umber Hulks for example appear as individual boss enemies in lower level campaigns. Level 10 sets you very much apart from the common soldier. You are worth a lot of money.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited November 2019
    I think the main thing that breaks the economy is the prices of magic items. You acquire so many of them and selling these makes you super rich. So, a solution for that could be having a significantly bigger difference between buy/sell prices of the items. That would force you to think twice before buying an expensive item as well.

that's not the problem i think. the main fault of the BG economy is that player isn't incentivised to spend gold in the first place. which expensive item do you want? there aren't that many... even if the sell price was unrealistically lowered, you'd still have enough to buy that rare scroll etc.
    the only way to make the economy work is to make the player really want to spend gold on a regular basis, and i don't know how that can be done without getting into the core mechanics.
    edited December 2019
    @Humanoid_Taifun, D'Arnese Keep is not simple monster hunting; no need to point out the obvious. No one is suggesting that D'Arnese keep is the same deal as Fiirkrag's fake offer; it's a point of reference/comparison for context, highlighting the fact that 10000gp is a huge chunk of cash, regardless of levels or 'what you are worth'. Also, you're going on as if assuming the party is level 10; that's extraordinarily late to be taking on the quest - typically it's the first stronghold quest and people are around level 7 (SoD pushes that up obviously, making it even more of a cakewalk with reward disproportionate to the challenge).
    None of this changes the fact the reward is extremely high, iirc the largest cash reward for a single quest in the game, enough to put you halfway towards the goal by itself. It's particularly jarring when an entire settlement of merchants who call on Waukeen as their patron (Trademeet) can 'only' scrape together a reward 3000gp LESS than Nalia. Add to it the items you find by that point and you've gone from 'holy cow, 20k is an extraordinary amount of coin!' protest to Gaelen Bayle to '*shrug* Well that was a piece of cake - we're already there after our first quest.'
    Just for a bit of context the 3.5e DMG iirc has around 9000gp as the expected gold gain for the ENTIRE LEVEL for a lvl 8 character while reaching level 9 (that's an edition btw that's overall much, much more generous than 2nd edition which BG2 is based on). You're potentially (i.e. solo player) getting a single cash reward that's greater than the amount you're expected to make for the ENTIRE LEVEL in one shot, for one of the easiest stronghold quest plots in the game. The fact that it's likely one of the first quests most people take resulting in pushing you close to 20k makes it even sillier, especially if one happens to play a character that actually gives a damn about Imoen.

Again, there's a very sensible reason why people like the OP and many others see the need for gold target/reward to be adjusted (or even global adjustments to the economy of the game), and why mods have existed for years (decades, really) to address this. People can, of course, argue all they want that boatloads of cash, magic items growing on trees, bloated numbers and ignoring in-character motivation is 'how it should be' in a CRPG; sales/human nature being what it is, industry trends often seem to agree. I personally prefer my CRPGs to be a little less MMO/Diabolo-esque.
    edited December 2019
    bob_veng wrote: »

that's not the problem i think. the main fault of the BG economy is that player isn't incentivised to spend gold in the first place. which expensive item do you want? there aren't that many... even if the sell price was unrealistically lowered, you'd still have enough to buy that rare scroll etc.
    the only way to make the economy work is to make the player really want to spend gold on a regular basis, and i don't know how that can be done without getting into the core mechanics.

You make a very good point, but I think your point doesn't invalidate my point. I think we need both. It would be awesome to have a mod that somehow gives more incentive to the player to spend gold regularly. Right now you spend 1 gold to spend a night in a tavern, and that's all you need to spend most of the time. It would be great to have to spend more gold as you spend time, which would also give you more incentive to not waste too much time travelling too.

But having said this, it's really hard to realistically justify having to spend thousands of gold per week for your expenses. And that's how it should be to have an effect on your economical situation. I'm now in the middle of BG2 playthrough, on Chapter 3 before travelling to Spellhold. I already have 250k gold, mostly due to selling magical items. So, if you don't solve this magical item prices issue in the first place, your idea won't have too much effect regardless unless you unrealistically force tens of thousands of gold to be spent per week.
    Post edited by Ludwig_II on
    edited December 2019
    Ludwig_II, the problem is it's just as ridiculous to spend thousands of gold pieces per week for 'expenses' as it is to be able to earn tens and hundreds of thousands every time you fall off a log in this game. People don't realize what a gold piece is supposed to represent in this setting (again I realize there's no cp, sp, ep, etc in BG).That's not a good solution.
    Reading a few other older threads related to this issue only served to drive home the point this has always been a problem with SoA since it's release; it's both a huge gaping plot hole and poorly implemented from a game mechanics/balance standpoint, especially in that if you stay in character it might mean you skip the biggest chunk of the game's content.
    My current install attempts to implement the following:
    1. raise the amount Gaelen asks for, but not to a sum that's simply adding to the sense of ridiculum, perhaps double it to 40k. Easily doable via installing the SCS component
    2. lower the lottery jackpot amounts rewarded by Nalia and Trademeet, 2-3k for Nalia, 3k -4k for Trademeet (it's a rich settlement of merchants, rather incredible that Nalia with the state of her estate can outpay them by 3k). Easy enough to do by editing 2 or 3 dlg files in IE
    3. adjust the buyback rates of merchants across the board, so they pay you 50 - 75% of what they pay in vanilla. A little more work, but should be doable via IE. A gold cap per merchant would also be nice; so would a formula that adjusts buyback prices a bit more elegantly (i.e. still pay about the same for mundane/cheap items, but the more expensive items garner a smaller payoff) but such is beyond my skills.

Put the above three together, perhaps with a couple of further economy refinement components, come up with a snappy title, and voila, someone knowledgeable with Weidu can take credit for a shiny new mod. Would make the game more challenging, less reliant on 'just go buy item x to take care of threat y' strategies, make it logical to continue adventuring in ch2 beyond the first or second quest.
    Truth is that even with all this I still end up with a boatload of wealth; it may make enough of a difference however to be a bit more sensible at several points especially in Ch.2.
    3. adjust the buyback rates of merchants across the board, so they pay you 50 - 75% of what they pay in vanilla. A little more work, but should be doable via IE. A gold cap per merchant would also be nice; so would a formula that adjusts buyback prices a bit more elegantly (i.e. still pay about the same for mundane/cheap items, but the more expensive items garner a smaller payoff) but such is beyond my skills.

@DavidW do you think something like this could be added to SCS Gameplay Tweaks in the future? I'm only asking because you already have magic licence cost and Gaelan Baele cost adjustment tweaks, so I thought it could potentially be a good complementary addition to those to keep the player's economy more manageable.

What is more broken is, in SOD, the genie merchant that comes as part of vision quest actually buys items from you for a higher price than he sells to you if you have enough reputation and charisma, so you could easily earn infinite amount of gold.