Skip to content

How are you supposed to discover the twisted rune?

The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    One of the great triumphs and tragedies of BG2 is that Bioware had to pivot quite late in development, change the focus of the game, and cut an enormous amount of content.
    It was a tragedy because I would Iove to play the game as originally intended
    It was a triumph because the game that they ended up releasing is widely regarded as one of the best games ever made
    There is a lot of “stuff” in the game that was either cut altogether, or didn’t make much sense after the changes. The twisted rune was an unfortunate victim, the ilithid lair in the sewers, the whole town of Brynnlaw and etc.
    So to answer your question - they appear out of nowhere with no clues or warning or context, drop an absurdly OP item, then are never heard from again. Until BG3 (I hope)
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I personally found out just by having a rogue-stone in my inventory when I tried opening that door in the docks. I thought it was really cool until the soon after total-party-wipe!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    ArthasII wrote: »
    Just asking, because I knew about them via internet, but I don't understand how ingame you're supposed to meet them.

Mostly just by being really unlucky :)
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    What's really fun is that some of the enemies from that encounter are actually canon Twisted Rune group members (Shangalar, Shyressa). And they are not even the most powerful members.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Cahir wrote: »
    What's really fun is that some of the enemies from that encounter are actually canon Twisted Rune group members (Shangalar, Shyressa). And they are not even the most powerful members.

That is both cool and fortunate. Had you really encountered the Twisted Rune as totally unprepared as most do, it would have been game over for nearly any party.
    Maurvir wrote: »

That is both cool and fortunate. Had you really encountered the Twisted Rune as totally unprepared as most do, it would have been game over for nearly any party.

Which is totally understandable since most of Twisted Rune inner circle members canonically are 30+ level lich mages. And one is a dracolich. This is not a group you want to mess with, even well prepared.
  • iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    This thread has some really interesting twisted rune lore
    https://sorcerers.net/community/threads/what-is-twisted-rune.4013/
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i learned about it from the bg2 perfect guide from vs books i still own the SoA and ToB copies ( although my ToB one is in pretty rough shape because they guy i lent it to in high school for a week treated it like garbage )
    I think I saw on G3 discord Channel that someone is working on a BG2 mod that (among other things) will expand Twisted Rune plot. But I'm not sure how advanced in development it is at the moment. But I would difinitely looking forward for it to happen. IIRC it will use EET features and will have some quests in Baldur's Gate, when you can go back to BG from Athkatla and discover there are some new things to be done.
  • AngulimalaAngulimala Member Posts: 82
    I also learned about them quite by accident due to a habit I picked up in Beregost back in 1999... check every door, go into every building, and hoard your gems until you're ready to spend.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited December 2019
    i started to play bg2 many years ago, as a friend gave me the cds of the game he was not using any more, but not the manual.
    i found that trapped door but for a reason or an other i never had a rogue stone in the inventory when i disabled the trap and opened it.
    at that time, living in a digital divide place, i had no internet connection, and i wrongly supposed that that mysterious door scope was only to challenge you with the trap.
    only when i finally managed to have an internet connection, to be true some years later a i did not even supposed that there was a gaming community there, with dedicated forums and other online resources, i finally discovered that with a rogue stone is actually possible to enter that door.
    did not help the fact that in the old italian localization game i used the translated name of the rogue stone had nothing to do with rogues, in a later localization it has been translated as "pietra del ladro" (stone of the thief), thing that maybe can be a clue about the stone being useful to a thief, so it is possible that a party with a thief carry that item around.
    and this is the only clue i can think about that can help a player to discover that very challenging and rewarding place.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    edited December 2019
    It is slightly amusing that the Elemental Lich and the Twisted Rune seem to have some sort of subletting arrangement going on. "Yeah, alright, you can put an extradimensional gateway in at the side but keep the noise down, and keep out of the address books in case that Kangaxx creep tries to search for me."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2019
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Maurvir wrote: »

Which is totally understandable since most of Twisted Rune inner circle members canonically are 30+ level lich mages. And one is a dracolich. This is not a group you want to mess with, even well prepared.

THis just makes me want to mess with them more. We need a ToB mod quest for taking them on. One that doesn't require EET.
    edited December 2019
    I think I saw on G3 discord Channel that someone is working on a BG2 mod that (among other things) will expand Twisted Rune plot. But I'm not sure how advanced in development it is at the moment. But I would difinitely looking forward for it to happen. IIRC it will use EET features and will have some quests in Baldur's Gate, when you can go back to BG from Athkatla and discover there are some new things to be done.

That mod you're referring to is developed by Roxanne.

It was definitely not Roxanne (Unless she's using yet another alt on G3 discord)
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356

That mod you're referring to is developed by Roxanne.

It was definitely not Roxanne (Unless she's using yet another alt on G3 discord)
    It could be both.

A modder working on it, and Roxanne picking it up and including it in the Sex tended world. It wouldn’t be the first time...
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 522
    That mod is actively looking for open beta testers so if you feel like giving it a try make sure to let the author know about any bugs you encounter or suggestions for improvement you have. :)
    One of the things I really liked in SoD was the absolutely fantastic lich library/lair - aside from the asinine phylactery names/labels. Not only was it beautifully done, it also came far closer to the real AD&D lich descriptions. It would be awesome if someone created a mod that let you tackle that library as an optional side-quest in BG2, only this time with everyone home.

For said mod-maker, there is a PERFECT place in the bridge district to put the portal... ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2019
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    I wish there were a way to play EET on Android tablets, as it sounds like it would be awesome. Short of that, a BGEE component with a BG2EE component would be nice.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited December 2019
    android, i use it with my cellphone, is a crap. it gives you very little freedom in what you can do, even if you root it, thing that is not allowed to do.
    i can not figure out a single reason why to play those games, that are great for their capability to be modded, on that os. unless someone plan to play as he is commuting or in similar situations, but even then i would probably have a computer based version of the games to a proper modded experience or even to only fix savegames if some bug happen.

i know that i am old and react slowly to the changes, but if at home i even use a pc version of whatsapp, i feel much easier to type on a proper keyboard then fiddle with a virtual one on a touch screen, so take what i tell in that perspective...
    Modding an Android version of BG/BG2 is not really much different than modding the PC version. You copy the obb files down and create a "working" install on your PC (by unzipping them - OBBs are really ZIP files), apply the mods, then pack up the overrides and copy them to your device's /Android/data/<app folder>/files folder. You don't need root at all. Oh, and EEKeeper works just fine on your pseudo-install, so you can still do all the save-game editing and import/export stuff you like. The only thing missing are the executables.

As for the keyboard, you only need it when you are saving a game with a name or using the console. For those occasions, I use a BT keyboard. I rarely need it.

What I enjoy about the tablet version is the freedom to play on the couch, on the road, or in bed. I can lay it down if I need to and pick it back up - all without schlepping to the office where the "gaming PC"' sits.