Skip to content

Future RPG games by Beamdog

2»

Comments

• MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Yes, I get that. It's why modern audiences don't like Hitchcock - his films take so long to build suspense that they can feel "boring" at times. Rear Window is a perfect example. I don't agree, but that's because I watched them years ago. You really have to pay attention to the minor details to get the full effect, and that is deeply unpopular.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited December 2019
    Consoles brought computer gaming to the 'masses' and raked in huge amounts of cash because of it. Before that, PC gamers were a niche market of 'nerds' where selling a few hundred thousand games at $40-$50 each was viewed as a huge hit. Alas, the glory days of the nerds are gone.

If everybody is a nerd, nobody is...
    A part of it had to do with being a nerd, sure. I'll cop to being one myself. If anything, gaming allowed us nerds to briefly escape into fantasy worlds and be the hero we couldn't be in our regular lives.

However, nerds, generally speaking, tend to need a bit more intellectual stimulation than the "unwashed masses", so games had to tickle that spot or risk being panned. As gaming has become more widespread, that aspect of it has gone by the wayside.

It's truly unfortunate, too, because a well crafted story/adventure, told with modern technology, could be mind-blowing.
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    Copying and pasting this from a comment of mine on another thread but:

I'd love Beamdog to make a game set in the same time as the Bhaalspawn saga, taking place just before Throne of Bhaal. Focusing on some other random Bhaalspapwn in a new location, and you're being hunted down by hunters. Maybe at the end of the game you get killed by one of the five (Illasera).

I think there would be a lot of creative freedom in such a game, and it would be part of the Baldur's Gate saga, but nothing more than that. Just a fun alternative side story to the main attraction (BG1 & BG2).
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Blackbɨrd wrote: »

I'd love Beamdog to make a game set in the same time as the Bhaalspawn saga, taking place just before Throne of Bhaal. Focusing on some other random Bhaalspapwn in a new location, and you're being hunted down by hunters. Maybe at the end of the game you get killed by one of the five (Illasera).

I think there would be a lot of creative freedom in such a game, and it would be part of the Baldur's Gate saga, but nothing more than that. Just a fun alternative side story to the main attraction (BG1 & BG2).

Maybe add a neutral(ish) Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple or Shaman NPC that joins you at Watcher's Keep. That would be awesome!
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Blackbɨrd wrote: »

Maybe add a neutral(ish) Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple or Shaman NPC that joins you at Watcher's Keep. That would be awesome!

I always thought a Sahugin or Minotaur party member would be cool, they could be in the Mindflayer dungeon in the Underdark because in that dungeon there is an empty cell/room. They could then join you and try to escape.

There's too many humanoid party members so having party members like Wilson is nice for a change.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    If it is to be a D&D game it will need WotC's blessing. WotC will not approve any new D&D game without the use of 5e rules. Furthermore, Beamdog themselves have said WotC is not inclined to do a D&D game with them (i.e. cancellation of Beamdog's Ps:T successor game). So the most Beamdog could do relative to D&D is to do exactly what TA and Ceres have done: use the D20 SRD to make a game in their own IP setting. But obviously, that cannot be anything related to the BG franchise or any other WotC IP.
    Honestly, the older I get, the less I care about D&D itself, but rather the enjoyment of a good role playing setup. If Beamdog could find a rules system at least as good, if not better, I wouldn't care if the setting was entirely different.

The one nice thing about D&D settings is that they have been around for a really long time, so it is a mature system. However, I have to believe that it is possible to create similar games without stepping on the WoTC delicate little toes.