Skip to content

BG II personal NPC Item Upgrade

kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
edited October 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Well, this one is made for BG II. There almost every NPC has some kind of special and personal item, what i want is for them to be able to receive upgrades to become more useful in the end of SoA and begin of ToB (or in middle SoA if the player rush the upgrade, but the intent is to make them better in ToB).

- Anomen -> Delryn family shield.
- Nalia -> De Arn'ise family ring.
- Edwin -> His Memento amulet (and along the upgrade an additional history to explain why he love so much the item would be nice).
-Keldor -> His personal armor (forget the name) and the Hallowed redempter (his sword).
-Haer'Dalis -> Chaos and Entropy.
-Vaylgar -> Cothala armor and katana.
-Mazzy -> Her bow of Arvoreen and sword of Arvoreen.

I do not intent just an item upgrade for this but rather a quest (and a very difficult one if possible), the quests should try to respect a bit more the roleplay and alignment behaviors.

Some NPC item update quests should exclude another one for example, Keldorn item update, for order and preservation, could exclude Haer'Dalis item update, enforcing entropy (just an example of a NPC excluding another).

This would create new variables for party formations making the old gamers try new party formations.

Another Thing to be done, would use some items in the game as vessels or recipes to make the NPCs personal item upgrade possible (potions, wands, spell scrolls, GEMS as some fucking use should be given to them), and my suggestion is to use the powerful game items for this (the upgrade comes at a cost after all), like celestial fury in Vaylgar's Cothala katana (that is only usable by him) as an example and use some.

So to end i'm going to make 3 options, the first and the second are a to be sum together against the third, they will only differ in how the process should be done.
  1. BG II personal NPC Item Upgrade31 votes
    1. Yes, I want to upgrade NPCs Personal Items and use in the process other items, nothing should come without a cost.
      61.29%
    2. Yes, i want the NPCs Personal items to be upgraded but make it simple, just finsh a quest requeriment and the item is upgraded.
      22.58%
    3. No, in reason of ..."explain in your post", i don't want this feature to be implemented.
      16.13%

Comments

• RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    Nah, couple reasons:

Personally (and this is just me, mind you), I don't feel the need to have item specific quests too far beyond what we already have. We already get lots of great loot to give NPCs. If we have more sidequests, I'd like them to be their own thing.

More importantly, we already have a system for item upgrading: Cromwell and Cespenar. If I were to implement this, I'd just throw around some crafting components for whatever item you want to upgrade. If the devs don't do this, the modding community easily can.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I like the idea of making an NPC's weapons or special items useful for longer, but I dislike the idea of upgrading one item preventing an upgrade to another. It seems arbitrary and not-fun.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @Aosaw just for roleplay prupose, it's an acessory suggestion anyway, i felt it to be a good idea but can be ingored.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    It's not that it's a bad idea, as such. I just think there would be more value in dedicating time to creating new areas etc.
    The items NPCs join with are fine. Not overpowered, but not useless either. Nobody has ever seriously complained about Nalia's ring, Keldorn's buffed up beginning armour and weapon, or, indeed, Edwin's badass amulet of eternal spell slinging.
    So... Yeah... I say let the game designers focus on more substantial issues. BG2 is near-perfect anyway. I'd say Overhaul might as well focus on just adding more areas and options to the game, rather than trying to amend details that really don't need amending in the grand scheme of things. :)
  • WinedoggerWinedogger Member Posts: 17
    There is not a single (removable) item on that list that is not dumped for something more powerful later on. Sounds fun!