Skip to content

Should I install the mod for BG1 proficincies in BG2?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited December 2019
    Depends on your outlook. In short, BG1 proficiencies might be more immersive or realistic, e.g. if you're an expert at handling a long sword it stands to reason you'd be pretty good at handling a bastard sword or even a katana as well.

BG2 proficiencies on the other hand might be more suitable in terms of game balance. Since you get so many proficiency points in BG2, using BG1 proficiencies means you'll fairly soon be a grand master with every weapon you might reasonably expect to use during the playthrough, which means there's no real need to prioritize. I.e. you'll become more like an ace of all trades than a jack. For what it's worth, I believe the BG2 version is closer to the AD&D PnP ruleset.

Also for what it's worth, I personally use the BG2 proficiencies. I think they're less immersive, but I like the idea of characters being specialized to a specific role in the party and complementing each other rather than being good at everything. For the same reason I dislike some of the more effective class combinations, e.g. fighter/mages. I also like to draw out character development arcs a little bit throughout the trilogy. So rather than having the warrior classes peak early (as they already have a tendency to) BG2 proficiencies tend to keep them improving in somewhat meaningful ways throughout a big part of BG2 as well.

To go further into this, you can also role-play it somewhat realistically with BG2 proficiencies. Assume you start out with a fighter and put points into long swords. As you attain mastery in that, you can then put the next two points into basic proficiency with similar weapons: bastard swords and scimitars, say, to illustrate that your fighter is a master of the long sword, which also makes him at least somewhat skilled with other similar weapons as well. This also leads to the 4th and 5th point coming more slowly than the first 2-3, which seems realistic in terms of how the better you get at something, the more time and effort it tends to take you to improve even more. Moreover, it means that a fighter would have to spend a relatively big part of his life/career working to attain grand mastery with a weapon (rather than conveniently nailing it by the end of BG1), akin to the martial arts concept of perfecting your skill over decades.
    Post edited by Shin on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I was recently playing the original version of IWD and the old proficiency version helps you not get frustrated for trying new weapons, I mean, if you got proficiency in great swords then you can try both 2 handed and bastard swords in the game and thats cool. On the other hand, IWD has a way bigger variety of special weapons in the game and its nice to be able to try most of them.

For BG2 I dont find it necessary , as there arent that many legendary weapons until ToB so you choose your proficiencies based on "using that specific weapon" , for example flail of ages, carsomyr, gesen bow...

The weapon styles, on the other hand, are an excellent addition. In BG1 the 2 pips in sword and shield will save your life against kobold commandos and elite hobgoblins , and in BG2 stuff like single weapon or 2 handed weapon prof give your character an extra flavour, specially when it's not a fighter type.