Skip to content

[Request] Fix Immunity Level/Ability Drain negating item property decreased ability

SnafulatorSnafulator Member Posts: 27
edited January 2020 in General Discussions NWN:EE
This is a bug that i have had trouble with a bunch of times over the years.

If you have an item with 'Immunity: Level/Ability Drain' it counteracts decreased ability item properties added to items.

In my use case i am applying strength/constitution penalties as item properties to the skin/hide object as a form of death penalty. If you are wearing a Bone Ring the decreased ability will be completely ignored.

I have attached a module named 'test_drain' to recreate the bug. The module has a bone ring & tower shield on the floor and then the onItemAcquired event applies a temporary -8 Strength item property to anything you pickup (so both the shield and the Bone Ring). Equip the Bone Ring then the Tower Shield and your strength will not have changed at all. It also does the same thing if the item property is a permanent one.

It seems like the immunity to ability drain does not distinguish between magical effects directed at the player and item properties placed directly on an item.

Thank you for your time. Love your work Beamdog :)
Post edited by Snafulator on

Comments

• FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    That is not a bug but how it should work.

That said you might rephrase your post as suggesting that you think the immunity properties should be separated. I would imagine rule changes like that are unlikely to go through.

On the other hand you could always script around it if you need an immediate solution.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Mmm... I'm on the fence about this. In my PnP campaigns, my DM ruling would be that items that placed penalties on the player for using them (for instance, an Unholy Avenger inflicting negative levels on a Good-aligned player that was trying to wield it) would bypass the protections from spells/magic items, as the player is willingly trying to use the item and thus opening themselves up to the cost/penalties of using the cursed item. However, from a scripting perspective, I can think of scenarios where the current approach is preferable (e.g. the player was just given a gift that was coated in a Strength-draining poison, but if they're wearing an item that makes them immune to poison, the poison should rightly have no effect) and thus why it was coded this way.
  • MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210
    edited January 2020
    This post is by a DM on a PW I play. Note he says hes applying to a pc hide his effects. I think the point he's trying to make and assistance with is that when you die on the PW, death penalties via lowered attributes are applied to the PC which take time to go away on their own. Meant to simulate the slow recovery of your con and str slowly rising back to normal after a death. If you wear a bone ring or similar, it breaks the script apparently(i am no expert) and when you log in the death penalties are removed.
    I beleive this is what hes getting at and needs help with.
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited January 2020
    The best option would be that BD added a line to the ruleset.2da that say ignore immunity of ability penalties on hidden skin or something along though lines. There other system that could use this also.
    Post edited by ShadowM on