Skip to content

Romance Variable Settings

Please help me understand romance variables. I have read many messages on the topic and I do not understand most of them.

What do the numbers mean for variables such as jaheralovetalk, jaheramatch, and jaheraromance? The editor has a built-in setting of jaheraromance=181920.

Is there a simple tutorial that will explain all of it to me so that I could to do it myself without a mod.? Something with charts would be nice.
Leela

Comments

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited December 2013
    When you have variables with numbers so large, they are usually timers. You can find an explanation of how timers work here.

Long story short, if you want for a timer to expire, just set his value to 1 and reload (actually the reload part only applies if you use tools like NI or EEKeeper, etc. to change the timer value; if you do it with the clua console you don't have to reload).

Edit: Variables with 1 or 2 digits values aren't timers, but usually they have informative names that can give you a clue on what they do. For example

jaheiramatch is set to 1 if you are eligible for a romance (right gender, race, etc.)
    jaheiralovetalk will increase as the romance progress, when certain values are reached you'll get a specific dialogue etc.

Of course to fully understand what the variables do, you must be familiar with the scripting code and look at files like jaheira.bcs and bjaheir.dlg, etc.
  • leelaleela Member Posts: 23
    I'm fuzzy on formulas. How much time is 181920 tics?
    leela said:

Actually, you have a point. In the link I posted they first say that time is measured in ticks, but in the example they just add seconds, so it is unclear to me if 181920 are actually ticks or seconds.

In the first case (ticks) 181920 = 181920/15/60/60 = (approximatively) 3 hours and 20 minutes real time
    In the second case (seconds) 181920 = 181920/60/60 = (approximatively) 50 hours and 30 minutes real time

Based on the example the second possibility looks more plausible to me, but I could be wrong.

Maybe someone else could confirm how this really works.
  • Dzuk5Dzuk5 Member Posts: 129
    Erg said:

leela said:

Actually, you have a point. In the link I posted they first say that time is measured in ticks, but in the example they just add seconds, so it is unclear to me if 181920 are actually ticks or seconds.

In the first case (ticks) 181920 = 181920/15/60/60 = (approximatively) 3 hours and 20 minutes real time
    In the second case (seconds) 181920 = 181920/60/60 = (approximatively) 50 hours and 30 minutes real time

Based on the example the second possibility looks more plausible to me, but I could be wrong.

Maybe someone else could confirm how this really works.
    I PLAY WITH HAERDALIS LOVE TALK GO TO NUMBER 33 with AERIE AND NOW downgrade to 3 when heardalis threts me. is it bug? Aerieromancactive is set 1 haeardalisromanceactive is set 2 is that mean aeire will continu romance with haerdalis? im in 3 chapter
    I don't under stand -

I PLAY WITH HAERDALIS LOVE TALK GO TO NUMBER 33 with AERIE AND NOW downgrade to 3 when heardalis threts me. is it bug? Aerieromancactive is set 1 haeardalisromanceactive is set 2 is that mean aeire will continu romance with haerdalis? im in 3 chapter

What is the difference between romance and romanceactive?
    If it is active does love talk start automatically or do I have to set it?
    If I start with romance but not romanceactive, how does it get active?
    If I start with jaherarenromance=181920 and I change it to 1,what happens
    Yikes! - That's why I was hoping for charts.
    Leela

• ErinneErinne Member Posts: 151
    leela said:

The "CharacterRomance" variable shows the timer to the next lovetalk. The "CharacterRomanceActive" variable shows the state of the romance (1 - not yet committed, 2 - committed relationship, 3 - romance over).
    Erg
  • DreadnaughtDreadnaught Member Posts: 92
    Did they fix the problem bug in Jaheria's Romance? I am restarting my game because it stalled out. But I need to make sure it won't happen again.
    @Erinne has already provided an answer, I'll try to address the remaining questions:
    leela said:

If it is active does love talk start automatically or do I have to set it?

The love talk will start when the timer expires.
    leela said:

If I start with romance but not romanceactive, how does it get active?

It will activate (i.e. set to 1) if you meet the requirements of gender, race, etc. It will stay active and in time with the right dialogue option it will be set to 2 (i.e. committed), unless you do something wrong (e.g. commit with someone else, be insensitive toward her, etc.) in which case as @Erinne said the variable romanceactive will be set to 3 and the romance will be over.
    leela said:

If I start with jaherarenromance=181920 and I change it to 1,what happens

The timer will expire instantly. This is usually done to artificially speed up the romance. The alternative is to wait for the timer to expire.

N.B. Sometime there are additional condition (e.g. you have to sleep, etc.), so even if the timer expire you will not get the love talk until they are met.
  • Dzuk5Dzuk5 Member Posts: 129
    edited December 2013
    Erinne said:

leela said:

The "CharacterRomance" variable shows the timer to the next lovetalk. The "CharacterRomanceActive" variable shows the state of the romance (1 - not yet committed, 2 - committed relationship, 3 - romance over).
    so my sitotion is bug.
    should i rewer the stat to:
    Aerieromancactive set 2 haeardalisromanceactive set 1
    ??
    Thank you for your advice. Everyone on this board is so nice. I'm going to print it all out and try to understand. I played the original games ages ago and I am thrilled with the reissues. I like the new characters and one of my favorite things in BGEE2 is the new quick pickup buttons for gathering loot from the dead.

My character started as a female, and when I realized I could find digital love, I edited a gender change. I noticed the editor has gender option for "both". Does that really work?
    Another editor question: There is an option to "load character file." How does that work? Nothing shows up.

If I decide to play the field, will my love let me come back?

I wasn't planning on playing BG2 until later, since I'm still working on BG1. But I decided to start now and figure everything out so I won't be frustrated when the time comes.

Leela
    leela said:

I noticed the editor has gender option for "both". Does that really work?

Gender both is used for creatures with no gender like Celestials. If you set CHARNAME gender to both, you will be considered neither male nor female for the purpose of which romance you are eligible for. So, paradoxically, no romance will be available to you.
    leela said:

Another editor question: There is an option to "load character file." How does that work? Nothing shows up.

It is meant to load CHR files, i.e. exported character files. If you didn't export any character so far, nothing will show up.
    leela said:

If I decide to play the field, will my love let me come back?

No, unless you use specific mods to allow multiple romances (or edit yourself the romance variables).
  • ElestelElestel Member Posts: 1
    Ok, so I had things mixed up a bit. I thought romanceactive 2 = no relationship, it's a COMMITTED relationship, rofl, opps. Here I am trying to edit this value in my EE keeper, *slaps self*

Thanks everyone for all the information!
    yzane
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    edited December 2018
    I removed BG1-Dorn from the party for almost 2 days. Can you tell me if the romance is still going on or how to resume it manually?
    According what written above:
    Does Dorn_Romance_start = 1 mean I am eligible for a romance (right gender, race, etc.) like jaheiramatch?
    Does Dorn_Romance_1 = 3 mean it completed (not broken) and does Dorn_Romance_2 = 2 mean it is ongoing?
  • MeToLeeMeToLee Member Posts: 19

"jaheiramatch is set to 1 if you are eligible for a romance (right gender, race, etc.)
    jaheiralovetalk will increase as the romance progress, when certain values are reached you'll get a specific dialogue etc."

So for example if I add the line NEERAMATCH and set its value to 1 I can romacne her even if I'm female?