Skip to content

Issue Creating a New Spell in NearInfinity

GnollGnoll Member Posts: 24
edited February 2020 in General Modding
So I have created a new SPL file changing Draw Upon Holy Might to a new spell, an innate ability, with a new name and description, adding and changing the string files for reference in the dialogue.tlk file. I used NearInfinity.

I can't seem to find it in EEKeeper when looking to add it to a character. In looking through the forums I see some things that I am supposed to do such as "add it to the spell.ids file." If I don't see it in EEKeeper, is this the next step? What does that entail exactly? Thank you for the help, I am literally brand new to modding and trying to undestand how do it as I go along.

I've added it to the spell.ids file, but do I have to do anything else? I've also read I have to add it to the spell.2da file as well... as I still can't find it in EEKeeper. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Post edited by Gnoll on

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i believe you also have to add it to the "script" file or some such? this is how EE keeper actually finds spells, give me a sec here to see if i can find the appropriate table...

okay, so yes you have to add it to the spell.ids file, but you also need to make sure the 4 digit number matches your spell

so for example, you see that the spell; CLERIC BLESS has a script number of 1101

when you go to the SPL folder and looks up SPPR101.SPL you will see that the Symobolic name CLERIC_BLESS (1101) matches

now if you are doing an innate ability you will probably have to do it with a 3xxx number ( i believe that the program recognizes 3xxx as innate spells )

i know its possible to make spells because i've done it before with making newer animate dead spells a couple of years ago, im just trying to remember if there is any extra steps...

so, if you go to the "edit" tab of your spell ( looking inside the SPL folder ) did you make sure to set it to "Innate (4)" under; Spell Type ?

if that doesnt work

i swear you have to match the 4 digit symbol with your spell name somehow, if i find anything else out, i will post back...
  • GnollGnoll Member Posts: 24
    Hey, thank you for the quick response. Yes, I made sure to do all of that. The linked name in spell.ids is displaying in NearInfinity.

9pnk2ey21jif.png

938wzrkb6l82.png

I unfortunately am still not seeing it in EEKeeper.
    edited February 2020
    did you save your spell as; SPCL170
    ?

and if so, did you use the correct search filter in ee keeper? by selecting level 1 an innate? and then using the resource tab to find your spell faster by looking for SPCL170 ?
    Yes, the spell is saved as SPCL170. I did the correct search filter, but I guess what mistake I made was looking by the name. I looked for the SPCL170 resource tab and I found it, but the spell has no name and no description.

4rk2d0sgefil.png

Not sure if there is a reason for this? Dialogue.tlk maybe?

Unsure really, but your help has been greatly appreciated so far regardless.
    yup, you are right, it is dialogue.tlk

when you go to the edit tab of your spell in NI there is a line called; Spell Name, that is where you have to match the name with a stringRef ( if one doesnt exist you can make one by editing your .tlk file, make sure to have a back up .tlk file before you do though! )

then if you want your spell to have a description ( when you right hand click on it ) you will have to go to the line; Spell description and make a stringRef for that as well

after that, everything should be hunky doory
    Yes, I just realized that after creating a new string, I didn't give it a "has name" tag enabled in the section where you check of the boxes on the left hand side.

Thank you so much for your help, very much appreciated!