Skip to content

Initiative from DEX for casting spells ?

Cross-posting this from my post on BG sub-reddit...getting nothing but downvotes and toxic replies there so here I am.

Question:
What does Initiative from high DEX do for casters (outside of melee combat) ?

Does having high / low Initiative as a caster (specifically arcane) affect anything at all ?

Afaik casting a spell in the BG series always takes a full round and hence casters are always placed at #1 for deciding who gets to act when, so I have read (somewhere...)

Is that true ?

Put differently: should I invest in high DEX or just ignore it as a mage/sorc; some extra AC helps a little early on but later is overshadowed by defensive spells, imo.

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    edited February 2020
    Jonnecy wrote: »
    Cross-posting this from my post on BG sub-reddit...getting nothing but downvotes and toxic replies there so here I am.

Question:

Does having high / low Initiative as a caster (specifically arcane) affect anything at all ?

Afaik casting a spell in the BG series always takes a full round and hence casters are always placed at #1 for deciding who gets to act when, so I have read (somewhere...)

Is that true ?

Put differently: should I invest in high DEX or just ignore it as a mage/sorc; some extra AC helps a little early on but later is overshadowed by defensive spells, imo.

Dexterity has no impact on initiative in Baldur's Gate.

Initiative is anyway not used in spell casting (there is an initiative factor that affects how quickly weapons attack, though that is random and unaffected by dexterity).

Spells take the time listed in each spell description. A magic missile for instance has a casting time of 1 (equivalent to 10% of a round). Almost all spells take less than a round to complete, but a new spell cannot be cast until at least a round after the previous spell commenced. For quicker spells that means the caster will have a bit of time to do something else (such as move or attack) before being able to cast another spell.

Dexterity has two benefits. As you say it lowers AC and thus makes the caster more difficult for others to hit. In addition it improves the chance to hit with missile weapons. Both aspects are helpful, but not crucial for a mage intending to spend most of his time casting spells from the rear of battle.
  • JonnecyJonnecy Member Posts: 56
    Awesome, just the type of quality reply I was hoping for ;)
    Thx!
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Grond0 wrote: »
    Jonnecy wrote: »

Question:

Is that true ?

Dexterity has no impact on initiative in Baldur's Gate.

Initiative is anyway not used in spell casting (there is an initiative factor that affects how quickly weapons attack, though that is random and unaffected by dexterity).

Spells take the time listed in each spell description. A magic missile for instance has a casting time of 1 (equivalent to 10% of a round). Almost all spells take less than a round to complete, but a new spell cannot be cast until at least a round after the previous spell commenced. For quicker spells that means the caster will have a bit of time to do something else (such as move or attack) before being able to cast another spell.

Dexterity has two benefits. As you say it lowers AC and thus makes the caster more difficult for others to hit. In addition it improves the chance to hit with missile weapons. Both aspects are helpful, but not crucial for a mage intending to spend most of his time casting spells from the rear of battle.

i thought weapons attacks were based on their weapon speed? if you have one character attack with a two handed sword and one character attack with a dagger, the character with the dagger is going to hit first no? ( provided they don't have and special weapon styles or go pass specialized proficiency )
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited February 2020
    if i am not wrong a high dex improves the thac0 also with MMM, the most damaging spell compared to its level in the game, but only if the meteors connect, as there is a to hit, thac0 vs ac, check.

so a mage using MMM and having high dex has better ac to survive ranged attacks (that is very helpful even in late game as the mantle line spells are short lasting and each arrow dodged makes a stone skin more lasting) and has more chance of hitting with his meteors.

also when he uses a sling better thac0 is helpful and even if the main task of a mage is to cast spells the game allows to fire a sling shot and cast a spell in the same round.
    same with darts, like the ones that stun or poison, that can be game changers against mages and beholders if they connect and the enemy does not save.
    think of the very high number of combat rounds that happen in the whole saga or even in each game, high dex improve the chance to hit for the mage, that does not excel in thac0 by himself, for an incredibly high number of times.
    a player that does not uses the cast and attack in the same round looses a ton of damage if you consider the whole game and not the single round.

when i build my mages dex is always a priority, i rate more a high dex then a high int as both dex and int have no impact on the casting and to learn spells without failure a mage with sub optimal int can use the potions of genius.
    as there is no need at all to learn all the spells the very moment you find the scroll, it is relevant only when you find a scroll of a spell that really improves your mage's casting, and at that moment you can drink the potion and learn all the scrolls you have collected, there is plenty of potions of genius.

18 dex & 15 int >>> 15 dex & 18 int.