Skip to content

Uncanny Dodge II

Hail Beamdog! I have a question/criticism on the recent change to Uncanny Dodge II feat granted to Rogues, Assassins, Shadowdancers and Barbarians. Was it the intent to give theses classes the same ability as the Dwarven Defender ability, Defensive Awareness, which essentially makes them immune to flanking sneak attacks? Or was this an accidental oversight. If the former, this is a huge shift in the balance of the force, and I would like to understand the reasoning behind it. If the latter, are there plans in the works to restore it?

For those unaware, Uncanny Dodge II, acquired at either Rogue 6, Barbarian 5, Assassin 5, and Shadowdancer 5 respectively, grants immunity to sneak attacks from a flanking attacker if you have more than 4 combined class levels of rogue, assassin, and barbarian than they do.

Comments

• SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    For what it's worth, this has always been the intent of the feat. However, in 1.69 it was bugged in several different ways, so it didn't look at the combined levels properly, and the actual order of classes was important. For example, Rogue 6/Barbarian 14 might have had the immunity, but Barbarian 14/Rogue 6 would not.. or was it the other way around..? I forgot the exact details of how it worked in 1.69, but because of these weird bugs it was commonly assumed that it didn't do anything, because unless you planned your build specifically to work around the bugs, you were very likely to hit the case where this part of the feat had no effect.
  • Grizzled_DwarflordGrizzled_Dwarflord Member Posts: 168
    Thanks for the explanation, Sherincall of the Chimera.
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Also, FYI, you can disable this behavior by setting "FLANK_LEVEL_RANGE" to "-100" or something in ruleset.2da