Skip to content

Mods and Things – A View

nn125nn125 Member Posts: 7
Sorry if this seams a put down (its not meant to be) as I admire any one who has the patience to spend their own time for the benefit of others. The reason I started this topic is because I only ever played BG2 (not BG1) and when I saw this web site I thought “wow” I want to play it as memories of the best PC game ever resurfaced – After the announcement that it was delayed I bought the 4 in one games (BG1, TotSC, BG2 & TOB) and sort of followed the Mega Mod Install guide loading anything that seamed interesting.

Firstly I am having a whale of a time – Loving the extra dimensions certain mod’s bring.
Really loved Dark Horizons and the side plots – Sirens Call added a lot to an area of the map which was not all hack and slash. Bone Hill Part 1, also good but slightly fell into a hack and slash in a couple of areas, but had a good story line.

But seen a few mods where Ctrl Y came in very handy – Not because it was hard, but just monotonous. It is not good if after 20 paces you face the same enemy Again – 2 Orc wizards, 2 archers and a couple of swords. Also please, if you have a problem, give a clue! If you need a left shoe from the Orc general and a key found in a swamp somewhere else to open a door, give some way of finding out, not just fry the party.

Also spawn points – It’s a little unbelievable if you pass the same point within 10 minutes and find the same 12 war dogs you just slaughtered resurrected.

A mod should be like the game – You need intelligence as well as brawn (and a lot of them do), but also a lot just go for a “Kill them all” approach, and just to be sure, here is a new random kill group (Just like the one 10 seconds ago) – This in my opinion spoils the effort spent in creating what was probably a great idea for the mod. Yes you need fights, but thought out fights.

Any way, just beaten Sarovok and woken up by Imoen in the jail and I am looking forward to reliving this part of the game I last experienced 12 years ago.

Again, sorry if this offended anybody, it wasn’t meant too. I have enjoyed a lot of the mods, and most of them to a certain level.

NN

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    There's no bulletproof way around the selection process I'm afraid. Though some mods come with extensive readmes, it still takes a bit of patience and trial-and-error to find the mods that are most suitable for you.

I'm an avid mod user myself, and I also agree that mods that constantly throw a lot of difficult battles at you out of the blue only for the sake of challenge or loot can break the immersion and seem out of synch with the rest of the game (walking into a forest and having 20 werewolves, a lich and a dragon jump you just feels wacky rather than threatening) - but there are people who like that kind of mods as well, as far as I know.

However, not all mods are like that as you know, not even all combat-oriented mods. To give an example that I enjoy a lot, the Chosen of Cyric encounter included in the Rogue Rebalancing mod (http://readme.spellholdstudios.net/readme_rr.html). It is a well thought-out and well written encounter with a lot of immersion. It is challenging, but the opponents aren't cheating or using a bunch of mechanics that aren't also available to the player. And, if you would rather not fight you can also talk your way out of the situation if you are clever or charismatic enough.
    In short, it makes for a good fight, or a good scenario even if you prefer to avoid the fighting.