Skip to content

Multi class fighter/thief vs thief

SirCumferenceSirCumference Member Posts: 35
Is there much of a downside to being a fighter/theif compared to a straight thief? Seems like you get plenty of theif points without needing to be a straight Thief and you'll get a bit more combat ability. I always felt that there should be only 1 way to combine dual classes and they should have either gone with dual class or multi class not have both options but that's kind of off topic so to be clear I'm looking for feedback on multi vs single not dual vs single.

Comments

• SirCumferenceSirCumference Member Posts: 35
    Yea I felt this way too, there are a lot of things I find dissapointing and would really like to change in BG but some of the things that pop into my head right now. I know that this bg2 + tob stuff but it's what Iremember a lot more than bg1 since I played it so much more recently.

I really don't like that backstab becomes pretty useless later on when things become immune to it (couldn't they just take reduced dmg?)

I hate level drain, this is one of the most annoying things ever. Why oh why must there be such a plethora of level draining mobs later on. I could understand for some special boss or something but man..... seriously.

Permanent immunity to weapons below a certain magical power. This one is also extremely annoying. Especially if you are playing something like a monk....
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    edited October 2012
    Multi or dual classing your thief is an absolute no-brainer from a power gaming perspective. There is nothing significant that the multi or dual misses out on tha the single class thief gets. The assassin gets poison and bigger backstab - but only 15 thief points per level and the backstab levels the same as a normal thief meaning only with epic level do you move to the higher multiples (at which point there are a good number of immune enemies) and the thac0 difference and attacks per round difference easily wipe out that "advantage." When you add in the fighter HLAs (backstab immune? how about a whirlwind?), it is highly skewed to the multi-class. While the poison weapon ability is great, the dagger of poison gives you 75% of that and the multi-class thief gets more attacks with it and hits more often.

The bounty hunter kit is cool and viable but the trap advantage diminishes when the HLA traps become available to all rogues and the combat is heavily, heavily skewed to the multiclass. The point reduction for the bounty hunter isn't as significant as for the assassin so I wouldn't factor that in very much. Swashbuckler is even less competitive. It is a good kit for dual classing, but not very good on it's own compared to a multi or dual classed thief.

Now, single classed thieves are plenty good enough to play even if they aren't the peak of power and can even solo the entire series if used correctly. Moreover, from a role playing/immersion perspective there are good reasons to go that route so there is no 'need' to multi or dual class to have a useful or interesting character. But if you are asking which is "stronger" then it is the multi or dual classed thief over the single classed version for sure.

For early BG1, the real downside to multi-classing is hit points.

At 2,800 XP, for example, the single class thief can have 24 (18 for class + 6 for Con) HP while the F/T can have only 14 or 15 (5 for F class; 6 for T class; + Con) . Just a bit more fragile when that arrow criticals you.
  • XanthulXanthul Member Posts: 57
    I disagree with swashbuckler being useless on its own, it's a pretty strong class that can get absurd AC with the right equipment. Like someone said earlier, it's like a fighter/thief rolled into a single class (with all the leveling pace benefits of a single class) that trades backstabbing for excellent melee capabilities. It's the only kind of thief that I've ever played to be honest, I'm not that big on backstabbing and standing around with one attack per round after the initial backstab never appealed to me.
    Xanthul said:

I disagree with swashbuckler being useless on its own, it's a pretty strong class that can get absurd AC with the right equipment. Like someone said earlier, it's like a fighter/thief rolled into a single class (with all the leveling pace benefits of a single class) that trades backstabbing for excellent melee capabilities. It's the only kind of thief that I've ever played to be honest, I'm not that big on backstabbing and standing around with one attack per round after the initial backstab never appealed to me.

Mileage on the opinions may vary. The melee capabilities are so far behind a warrior class and they lack my favorite part of the thief class (backstab) that I see it as not very competitive with a any number of warrior builds or with the F/T. The only advantage is the leveling/HP issue for me - particularly since the F/T can drop on that full plate and own a better AC during any fight in BG1 (+3 AC for class with Shadow Armor at levels 10-14 makes for a 1 AC while full plate + ring of protection makes for a 0 AC at any level which means the swashbuckler needs to hit level 20 before he gets an AC advantage over simply customizing armor choice). For SOA/TOB, the max of two attacks per round (not talking about Belm, etc.) isn't made up by the +1 to damage every 5 levels, a difference that gets exaggerated with improved haste or HLA.

You are making a good point that this is a viable melee version of a thief, and I agree with your statement that they aren't "useless." For my personal preference, however, I am going to go a different direction if I want a character that is primarily going to melee. Just my own $.02, but I found the swashbuckler kit more boring than other types of thieves because it was like playing a weak fighter that could pick locks and find traps. I generally go for a F/T or F/M/T or dual class fighter to thief if I want a melee thief build.
  • XanthulXanthul Member Posts: 57
    Well, if you equip full plate on your fighter thief you aren't going to use thieving skills or backstabbing unless you have a pet mage to invis you every fight, so I don't think that comparison is accurate.

Anyway, we think pretty similar, I just don't care that much about backstabbing and that's why I like swashbuckler the most out of rogue kits, but I think fighter thief and swashie are pretty even when all is said and done and I really could play either depending on my mood on the day that I create the character :P
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I'm still getting caught back up on everything (and never really dual classed before) so I wanted to ask:

If you basicly wanted to play a fighter with some thief skills, would there be any benefit to starting as a swashbuckler then dual classing to a normal fighter? It seems like the swashbuckler would get a good jump on a lot of fighter things.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @Xanthul : agreed on the Swashie, as it is my favorite kit, and second favorite class is thief anyway! But I can see much potential for an early dual classed swashie simply because the only downside of dual classing a thief is losing Backstab Multipliers too early - a problem the Swashie doesn't have at all!

I once played a Swashbuckler till level 40, it was a powerhouse really. A shame the game was modless and the HLAs weren't as the original game intended (Whirlwind instead of Assassination), but dual wielding Scarlet Ninja-to and Belm made it most of the times (auxiliary weapons were those two Wakizashis... forgot their names D: )
    Xanthul said:

Well, if you equip full plate on your fighter thief you aren't going to use thieving skills or backstabbing unless you have a pet mage to invis you every fight, so I don't think that comparison is accurate.

The comparison is pretty good, I think, since it is very similar to a swashbuckler. No backstab ability but lower thac0 and more base attacks. You can choose your set of armor based on the opposition. Sneak around and see a mage? Go up and backstab him. See a horde of gibberlings? Put on the platemail. If you aren't willing to switch armor, then I agree with you.

Anyway, we think pretty similar, I just don't care that much about backstabbing and that's why I like swashbuckler the most out of rogue kits, but I think fighter thief and swashie are pretty even when all is said and done and I really could play either depending on my mood on the day that I create the character :P
    Backstabbing is the biggest factor for me so that makes sense. If I play a thief as my PC, I go first for hiding in shadows and backstabbing and think about other thieving abilities only later on. (Imoen can focus on traps and locks, right?)
  • HawkshadowHawkshadow Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2012
    If possible, I've always had a pure class thief in a party (crpg's and pnp games I used to play one). For me, their job is looking after traps/locks and any recon the party needs. When combat starts, the thief can use his/her high dex bonus for missile fire and concentrate on enemy mages etc. Never used 'backstab' until 4th edition D&D when the rogue became a melee powerhouse when flanking.

If possible, I've always had a pure class thief in a party (crpg's and pnp games I used to play one). For me, their job is looking after traps/locks and any recon the party needs. When combat starts, the thief can use his/her high dex bonus for missile fire and concentrate on enemy mages etc. Never used 'backstab' until 4th edition D&D when the rogue became a melee powerhouse when flanking.

Why use a pure class thief for that? Someone like Jan can do all that and much more with ease if you aren't going to focus on backstab, traps, etc.
  • HawkshadowHawkshadow Member Posts: 5
    Old habits die hard I guess ....
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316

Old habits die hard I guess ....

Presumably it would also leave your fighters open to stick with melee fighting.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    There's nothing wrong with going with a single class rogue. Especially with some of the kits like Assassin that pays out benefits for a long time. It's not "optimal" but it can be fun and that's all that matters.
    edited October 2012
    Agreed, @CaptRory. All the rogue variations are viable. It is entirely a matter of interest and personal style.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    May have asked this before, but would a Swashbuckler with throwing daggers work well?
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418

May have asked this before, but would a Swashbuckler with throwing daggers work well?

Probably well enough once you got returning daggers - otherwise managing the daggers is a real pain in the patootie as I recall due to low stack numbers - I vaguely recall having someone using them and I had to stash a fewe in everyones backpack to keep from running out... ;-)
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    The only reason I see for playing a non-multi thief is really, really liking the kits because apart from that, there really is little lost but a whole lot gained. Mage/Thief is my favourite character, followed by the Shapeshifter and Cleric/Thief. Fighter/Thief was the first class I beat BG1 with.

I do sort of like the Assassin and Bounty Hunter, particularly with Rogue Rebalancing and Refinements HLAs installed (RR actually nerfs all the kits, which is pretty funny, but they're more interesting to play). However, a x7 multiplier+poison or more traps just does not compare to mage spells, cleric spells, or a massive combat boost from a fighter class. Particularly not when they enhance the Thief's own special abilities so much.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    I can only see the point in playing a shorty race single class thief. I just completed a BG1 playthrough with a Halfling Swashbuckler. It's not quite the same as a dual-classed Fighter/Thief but I loved the fast leveling which allowed me to spread the thieving points around. End-game 20 dex upped the thieving skill percentages and lowered the AC quite a bit. With the shorty saves and gear I don't think Charname ever failed a spell save, the AC was comfortably around -1 without buffs and the hits were painful even with a simple +1 Longsword. The simple traps were actually very useful against mages turning what was normally a 2 minute fight into 'line of sight him to make him turn the corner then collect the gear' and this was without waiting ages to get them because the xp wasn't shared.
    But as it was said before, it's a matter pf taste.