Skip to content

Macbook Pro, high CPU usage

boghbogh Member Posts: 4
Hi all,

I searched but couldn't find a tread covering this. I am running NWN EE (latest patch) via Steam on my 2018 MacBook Pro with 2,2 Ghz, 16 GB RAM and Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB. As soon as the game starts the fans starts going off and it heats up a lot.

I haven't had any trouble playing it, but it feels a bit concerning and clearly the game is taxing the machine way more than it should. I have played around with settings, but haven't found a magic bullet.

Any known issues or fixes for this?

Comments

• CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
    I don't get that fan/heat problem on my older macbook air. However I get low FPS, what sort of FPS are you getting on that rig?
  • boghbogh Member Posts: 4
    FPS and performance is great, no problems whatsoever. It just seems to be keeping the machine very heated...
  • nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    Hi,

the game is running at however fast your hardware can. If you have VSync on, it will limit to your screen refresh rate (i.e. 60). Either is likely enough to make the fans spin.

We've added a experimental and kind-of-bad-but-working frame limiter hidden in the debug menu.

* Press Ctrl-Shift-F12.
    * Click Config at the top.
    * Put 'framelimit' into the search box.
    * Make sure the framelimiters are enabled by checking the box.
    * Play with values (it's a tradeoff: interactivity/smoothness vs cpu&gpu load).
    * Click Apply when happy.

Hope that helps a bit with this.
    Thanks - I will give it a try and play around with it!
    Just an update - this seems to have done the trick.