Skip to content

Altering the cost of Armor Class Bonus Item Property

DJ_WoWDJ_WoW Member Posts: 48
Gooday all,

I would like to make it so that Armor Class Bonus is similar to the cost of Enhancement Bonus. i.e. Armor Class +2 needing level 7 to equip. I found the base_2da.bif file. Is this the file I need to copy/modify and put in the overide folder. I found this line in the file:

1 652 Armor **** 0.9 2 **** 5477 ****

Is this what I need to modify. There is also a slew of tables indicating:

COSTMODIFIER ACBONUS

I am lost, any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

DJ_WoW

Comments

• KamirynKamiryn Member Posts: 74
    edited April 2020
    Instead of copying/modifying base_2da.bif you would have to extract some 2da files from base_2da.bif into your override folder (using NWNexplorer for example).

In itempropdef.2da property type armor (row 1) gets a multiplier of 0.9 while Enhancement (row 6) gets a multiplier of 1.0, both already use the same cost table iprp_meleecost.2da. But all the weapons get an item multiplier of 2.0 while armor has an item multiplier of 1.0 only (baseitems.2da). Also the base cost for weapons and armor is differently (and depends on weapon/armor type anyway).
  • DJ_WoWDJ_WoW Member Posts: 48
    Gooday,

I extracted the files to NWN OVR folder as you suggested and a few others related to Property cost. I have tried changing the .9 to various settings and also the multiplier in Base items 2d6 and I see no change to the costs of armor with AC Bonuses, either in tests or on server..

My computer kung-fu is none to good. Like my english. If anyone has any suggestions as to what I need to modify. Feel free to make those suggestions.

DJ-WoW
    edited April 2020
    Then you have done something wrong because when I change the 0.9 in itempropdef.2da to 1.0 the gold piece value of a leather armor +1 goes from 666 gold to 819 gold. When I then change the item multiplier for armor in baseitems.2da from 1.0 to 2.0 its gold piece value goes to 1638 gold. And that's exactly the same value a short sword +1 has (both items have a base item value of 10 gold).

No idea what went wrong in your case. Make sure your edited files are used by the game. For example if your module uses a hak file and that hak containes baseitems.2da and/or itempropdef.2da then these files are used and not the ones in your override folder.

For testing purpose you could put the edited files into the development folder instead of the override folder. However I don't know if the toolset reads the development folder - better make tests in the game.
    Gooday to ya,

Yeah I am doing something wrong, Never been able to get this to work. Just to make sure the itempropdef.2da is listed as res10.2da and baseitems.2da listded as res263.2da. I thought because I had cep in hack that was the problem but I loaded a mod with no hacks and put it on the server and there was no change. I am throwing up my server email in case you felt a little more giving than you have already been and shoot me your modified files, or just a copy of the ovr file for me to replace. fractured.realms.nwn@gmail.com.

Many thanks for all the time you have devoted to my ineptitude.

DJ-WoW

It seems you're using an outdated version of NWNexplorer. Grab the newest one from here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/76541/tools-nwn-explorer-1-8#latest
  • SymphonySymphony Member, Developer Posts: 142
    @DJ_WoW were you able to get this to work?
    Gooday to ya,

No I was not able to get this to work as intended. I had to use a work around that uses the quality of an item that restricts the level of bonus that can be crafted to armor and weapons. Also restricting store access via quests. This doesn't prevent someone else from purchasing higher quality items and selling them to someone. But at least that promotes player interaction.

DJ-WoW
  • SymphonySymphony Member, Developer Posts: 142
    The Bioware Item Format specification design document is your first stop for learning about cost calculation, as per 4.4. Cost Calculation.

https://nwn.wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=327727

Please don't put files in your OVR folder, or anywhere in the rest of your install directory. Everything you need to do to customize the game or your module can be done from the User Directory, Documents\Neverwinter Nights.

Ultimately edits to the 2da tables should be included in a hak content package, so that those modifications can apply specifically to the module that you are making, but the override folder is a good place to trial changes until you see the results you are looking for.

However, if you have the same files in haks already assigned to a module, they will override the override folder, so it is best that you separate yourself from your work while you figure out a problem like yours. Make a new module with no haks, and an empty override folder, and begin auditioning edits in the override folder, so that your changes can be shown to go into effect, and match both the details in the design document above, and, your intentions for the changes you want to make to the module.

If you are in doubt over whether you have the appropriate collection of "original files" in your install directory, which can be common since these folders are not as easily tracked as something like the empty override folder in your User Directory, open your install folder, and delete the subdirectories you think you may have tampered with. Then use Steam, the Beamdog Client, or GOG to "Verify install" to restore those deleted folders to their distributed initial states for the game version you are using.