Skip to content

Scale the ui without resolution change

So with the interface scale option enabled the ui is still too big for me.
I am kinda sick of changing the monitor resolution everytime in want to play to bg ee.
Is there some ini file trick that would allowed me to set resolution of the game to lower one.
Here is the example of the current resolution ui.

And here is the the ui scale i want to use

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Comments

• Dyzmen22Dyzmen22 Member Posts: 9
    edited April 2020
    I know this is a 2 year old thread, but what the heck. I myself had the exact same problem not long ago, so maybe someone will stumble upon this in the future and my solution will prove useful.

I was tired of changing the resolution everytime I start the game, so I downloaded a program called "Res-o-matic". It allows you to run any application in any resolution you want. You can grab it here:

http://www.bcheck.net/apps/reso.htm

reso.png

To make it work, simply select a path to your "baldur.exe" (in your game installation folder), and pick whatever resolution you want. Then click "Create shortcut", and that's it. If you run the game from the newly created shortcut, it will always run at the set resolution, so you don't need to change it manually everytime.

note: for the clearest visuals, it's still recommended to run every game at your native resolution. the only reason I use this, is because in the current BG version (2.5), at higher resolutions the spell book gets buggy and spell icons have some strange lines next to them. running the game in lower resolution helps with that somewhat, but it blurrs the text due to downscaling. :(
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    edited July 2020
    oh yeah ... respecting the OS's UI-Scaling factor on hiDPI-screens would be oh so great to have, but i guess that's something we won't get anymore. We've had this discussion for a while, but either the problem was not understood at all, or not considered to be a problem, or not so easy to implement.

I'm doing about the same, but with windows 10's in-built compatibility settings for "old" programs to force them to scale to a usable size, even when they don't understand anything else but oldschool default pixel density that is always around 90-120ppi. Windows 10 then just tells them some virtual lower screen resolution and let them render as they can, – then scaling the result up without them knowing. no real resolution change on system level, just a simulation for the old program.
    This means BG:EEs are a bit blurry compared to compatible programs on my 4k 15"screen (around 300ppi), except for the truetype fonts because there the OS kicks in and renders them at hidpi ... goofy but acceptable (yet not very promising for future years to come and things on OS level to change again maybe ...)