Skip to content

CC creature type request

For any CC people out there that this might interest.

Creature request:
The Shadow of a flying Dragon.

It can be attacked with ranged spells, bows and crossbows and if so, the attack is aimed up in the sky at a point of origin.

Scripts could allow for the “Dragon to use ranged attacks/spells as well” from the point of origin.
When enough damage is done the dragon could fly away.

It Could really add some spice to areas, near where a dragon is known to lair. Imagine traveling a road and suddenly lightning bolt strikes from a stalking Blue above. Targeting the shadow with the proper ranged weapon allows you to shoot at it and chase it off.

It might behave more like a visual effect, but with a selectable piece one could click on to attack, and with the "target" point in the sky to make it feel right.

Any takers?

Comments

• Not that I'm a "taker," but I think this would be easy enough to accomplish using this model (https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/original-hakpak/rideable-flying-red-dragon) and using 3ds, GMax, or Blender to push the rootdummy up to a height of say 20 meters.

This would move all the corresponding targeting nodes up as well, but you'd have to use some script-fu to disable melee attacks from/on the dragon.

However, I'm not sure, given how FUBAR NWN shadows are, that the engine would even know what to do with its shadows.
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    I did this years ago by taking the flying dragon from somewhere, CEP I think, and importing it to Gmax. All I did was set the model height up so it was out of reach of the cursor, set the geometry to be non-render, but cast a shadow. I don't know if I still have it laying around, but I'll look. Doubtful though. I think I posted a few screenshots back in the day...

JFK
    qnh5u49mvwzf.png

I found that old .hak file, and took a screenshot. It needs work. Should raise the model higher now that unlocked camera is always available (you can see the glow if you mouse over where the actual model is). If you want it, I can upload it. Let me know.

JFK
  • QuilistanQuilistan Member Posts: 177
    I would love to try it out, yes please upload it!
    https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/original-hakpak/flying-dragon-shadow

I edited the appearance.2da, changing the dragon model to non-targetable, so you can't see the glow now. It's on the Vault. Hope you can get some use from it. :smile:

JFK
  • QuilistanQuilistan Member Posts: 177
    JFK

I finally got a chance over the weekend to mess around with the toolset, and went to DL your dragon shadow. I think the link might be broken in some manner.

All I get is text, or is that how it is supposed to be? if so I am not sure what to do with it.
    edited April 2020
    @Quilistan I just now uploaded a zip version, and checked it out. Should work for you now. Only contains a hak file.

JFK