Skip to content

[Bug] The type of additional damage from Corthala Family Blade is incorrect

Ian579Ian579 Member Posts: 241
The description of Corthala Family Blade says that it causes additional bleeding damage.

However, in the actual gameplay, the type of the additional damage is incorrectly implemented as poison damage. The following text is the what the dialog box shows about the additional damage after striking a target with this blade:
[Target]: Takes 1 poison damage from Valygar

You can confirm the incorrect type of the additional damage by having your group member wearing a poison immunity equipment such as Periapt of Proof Against Poison and strike that member, and you will see the dialog box shows:
[Target]: Unaffected by effects from Corthala Family Blade
Post edited by Ian579 on

Comments

• dbianco87dbianco87 Member Posts: 21
    It is somewhat curious that they would choose poison damage. Afaik there are only like 6 or 7 damage types implemented and functional in BG2, and none of them are "bleeding" damage. Usually, they use Magic damage though for miscellaneous damage sources like Keldorn's Redeemer or the Ring of the Ram.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    out of all the damage types that are in bg2, this is what we have;

acid
    cold
    crushing
    electricity
    fire
    piercing
    poison
    magic
    missile
    slashing
    magicfire
    magiccold
    stunning ( lol? )

so i guess when it came time to choose what type of damage it dealt, poison is what they went with, perhaps it should have done slashing damage, since the damage is coming from a slashing weapon and it was a slashing weapon that is causing the bleeding so it would make sense, but i guess that is just me
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    if i am not wrong the magicfire and magiccold damage types are implemented in the game, but actually never used, at least in the vanilla game, all the sources of cold and fire damage use the regular cold and fire.
    as some spells give different levels of protection vs the regular and magic fire or cold if it is confirmed it is important when you have to protect your characters from those elemental damages as you may want to know what is the total protection, to reach the no damage taken level with 100% protection or even to regenerate health taking that kind of damage having more then 100%.

can someone confirm it?
    i know that is OT, but as we are talking of damage types, and it rarely happens, maybe is worth it to ask here.

back to the topic even if there is some inconsistency with the RL on which type of damage is used, ie the slings should use crushing damage, not piercing one, probably the slashing damage should indeed be the better damage to mimic a not existing bleeding damage, but would be anyway far from perfect.
    why? stoneskin: the skin absorb the physical part of the attack, but not the other forms of damage a weapon has.
    so if a protected mage gets hit by a sword that does 1d8 slashing +2 fire only the fire damage is applied, while the 1d8 consumes a skin. but for a 1d8 + x bleeding as the 1d8 is adsorbed by the stone skin the actual mage does not take any damage, so has no reason to bleed. the bleeding damage should be a consequence of the physical one, not a different type of damage added to the weapon, something like coating the blade with some anti hemostatic material.
    but this is impossible or very difficult to implement in the engine i suppose.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    out of all the damage types that are in bg2, this is what we have;

acid
    cold
    crushing
    electricity
    fire
    piercing
    poison
    magic
    missile
    slashing
    magicfire
    magiccold
    stunning ( lol? )

so i guess when it came time to choose what type of damage it dealt, poison is what they went with, perhaps it should have done slashing damage, since the damage is coming from a slashing weapon and it was a slashing weapon that is causing the bleeding so it would make sense, but i guess that is just me

Does this mean that when Beamdog nerfed Dorn and inadvertently ended up nerfing the assassin kit as well in v2.x they also nerfed Valygar?
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    probably not as this is not a poison weapon ability, that has been nerfed, is a flat poison damage added to each hit of a weapon. also the FoA and maybe few other weapons have poison damage, also those weapons should not be touched by the nerf.