Skip to content

Info on dealing with Geelo the Librarian and his scrolls (minor spoilers)

UncleSporkyUncleSporky Member Posts: 100
For those who might not know, Dragon's Eye level 4 has a rare missable opportunity to obtain some scrolls, which are among the more coveted items in IWD for parties with mages and bards.

The "peaceful" priests in the area go hostile as you snoop around and you lose access to a few vendors, including Geelo the Librarian who sells scrolls.

Many parties will have plenty of opportunity to buy from Geelo...but a paladin leading the party will spoil everything. Right from the first moment you speak to Albion, your paladin will see through the deception, and you'll have to fight everyone in the area.

The simplest solution is to change the leading party member to someone other than the paladin. Also, a thief can stealth right past him without triggering dialogue, and gives you the chance to go shop with Geelo before even talking to Albion.

What about Geelo's spells, though? To my knowledge, there isn't a good comprehensive guide out there for what spells are found where in the game. (Haeravon's guide is very good, but it was last updated in 2013 and is missing a lot of information including lots of spell scroll locations.) I went through and looked them up in Near Infinity, so this list should be accurate.

Prices listed are for a charisma 18 bard with the Friends spell cast on themselves (rep 12 party).

Blur (216g) - sold by Geelo, dropped by Uligar in Kuldahar Pass, sold by Kieran Nye (HoW)
Flame Arrow (324g) - sold by Geelo, found in a container on Dragon's Eye 4, part of a random loot chest in Temple of the Forgotten God 1, part of the random loot generated by the Jester's Bag of Holding
Melf's Minute Meteors (324g) - sold by Geelo, sold by Kieran Nye (HoW)
Monster Summoning I (324g) - sold by Geelo, dropped by Lizardman King in Dragon's Eye 1, found in a container on Dragon's Eye 4
Lightning Bolt (972g) - sold by Geelo, sold by Orrick in chapter 2, sold by Kieran Nye (HoW)
Ice Storm (1296g) - sold by Geelo, sold by Orrick in chapter 4, found in a container in Anauroch Castle dungeon 4 (TotL)
Polymorph Self (540g) - sold by Geelo, sold by Edion on Burial Isle (HoW)

So...some of these spells won't be available until getting into HoW content, or at least much later in the game.

Most parties are already likely to have one copy of Blur and Monster Summoning I, and another copy of MS I is found on the same floor as Geelo. Same story for Flame Arrow, and you can also receive infinite copies of it from the Jester's Bag of Holding later. Orrick can sell you Lightning Bolt.

This leaves Melf's Minute Meteors, Ice Storm, and Polymorph Self as the three "must-get" spells, if you're so inclined. The rest could also be purchased if you need several copies in your party.

Anyway, that's all. Just wanted to write up an informative post on this guy and my own findings.
Post edited by UncleSporky on

Comments

• ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    That's odd... I remember playing through the IWD:EE a few months back, and I remember reading about this in a walkthrough. Despite having a paladin in my party, I also remember being able to snoop around a bit first and buying all the scrolls from Geelo. Could it be that in the EE, as long as you don't have your paladin be the party leader (i.e. not simply talking to the NPC with somebody else, but actually moving another party member into the first slot, and then using him to the talk) you won't get the lock-in option that turns them all hostile.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Member Posts: 100
    Zaxares wrote: »
    That's odd... I remember playing through the IWD:EE a few months back, and I remember reading about this in a walkthrough. Despite having a paladin in my party, I also remember being able to snoop around a bit first and buying all the scrolls from Geelo. Could it be that in the EE, as long as you don't have your paladin be the party leader (i.e. not simply talking to the NPC with somebody else, but actually moving another party member into the first slot, and then using him to the talk) you won't get the lock-in option that turns them all hostile.

I don't have a save far back enough to attempt this again but I swear I tried this, it's one of my go-to things to see if someone has different dialogue -- put someone else in the lead, make a different person talk to them, even separate the party as much as possible.

It could be because I made the paladin first so he's the "main" character and a fight is otherwise inescapable.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    im pretty sure all you have to do is just switch the order in which your characters are on the right hand side

so if you paladin is in the top spot, just change it for another character and you should be good to go

and just recently, someone on the forum here made an exact list of every spell scroll in IWD/How/TotlM on the IWD wiki ( or you can find their link in this forum )

so if you want spell location information, that is the place to go
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2020
    Yes, it was me. :) Making that list involved digging up info about Geelo here.

Also, I did just test this out and you're right, you can just change the leading party member. I can't believe I hadn't tried that earlier, I swear I've done this in every other circumstance. I just failed to do so here. I have edited the OP with correct info.
    Post edited by UncleSporky on