Skip to content

BG2EE banter isssue

KageKage Member Posts: 2
Hello everybody.

My first post here. I have been a huge fan of Baldurs Gate series ever since its release those ages ago.. :)
And I always considered BG to be the best game(s) I ever played!!!

I started replaying BG2EE again, and as always, Ioved every moment of it... Until recently that is,
as I seem to have this most annoying "bug" with banter now. I am in chapter 4 now, some 25 days in the game.
Banter of my NPCs was very rare from the start, but now, there is basically no banter. Except for love talks, romance works normally. Worst is, that I can't even force the banter with the console. Whenever I press CTRL+I, NPCs just look at each other, as if they wanna start a conversation, but nothing happens.. I managed to bring up few banters with the console (like 5), but now there is nothing. Last time I checked, I kept getting a same line from Jaheira (something about wind/weather) all over again and again when I forced the banter with the console.

I installed only BGtweaks (cdtweaks) and banterpack, than started a new game. I even had Jan in the party for the first time, as I heard that he has a ton of banter, love the guy, but even his banter was really rare from the begining. I had some good banters from the start of the game, but It was still less than 15 of them, and most of those were from the banter pack. For me, no banter is pretty much game breaking issue. Thing is, that last time I played BG2EE, I think I had a same problem, which made me to give up on playing the game. But that is like 5
years ago, on a totally different laptop.

I have been enjoying my time in the Forgotten Realms so much, as I always did, but this issue ruins it all for me.

I have much less time for gaming nowadays, being a father means having less time to be a kid yourself I guess:)
So if I do spent my free time playing BG again, I want it to be the game I always loved so much.. I cannot imagine playing the game with silent NPCs (even Jan!!!)....

I searched the web for a solution to this problem, but with no luck.. I really hope that there is somebody who cold help me with this issue, I would appeciate it so, sooo much..

I am attaching one of my saves (one before I went to Brynnlaw) and also my baldur.lua file.

Thank you for reading this post...

Eva8

Comments

• KageKage Member Posts: 2
    Forgot to mention, that I don't use any of the new NPCs. All of my NPCs are pure vanilla...
  • Eva8Eva8 Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2020
    Hi all. I have the same problem with a pure vanila unmodded Bgee on Android. I am trying for days to solve this and to understand how the game works for this. I even found this same poor desperate guy posting this same thread at least on 3 sites. Come on boy, I`m a father too and nowadays I really understood how market works. These games are huge and messy even in coding, but those who put their hands on them surely are NOT there for true passion and simulate a good banter system is not in their minds. Worst nostalgia trick of my life, buying these Enharsed Editions for a mere zoom feature and Android compatibility. It was better when fans and true passionate were losing whole years trying to get the game always better, and they made it surely better then these editions.

By the way. Trying to have some more banter since they were almost absent apart a very little selection always the same, I downloaded the banter override file (or you can try the Banter Acceleration Mod in the forums) and learned how to change values for banter random tries, but it seems that my party likes to look at themselves all the time and after all the only banters i get are the ones already seen for now. I also found the bg1 vanilla banter guide so to be sure I`m not expecting too much, even knowing the first game is not so full of banters and pretty incomplete piece of art. When I changed values to ridiculous ones to see how the system works, I first had a lot of good banters for a few seconds, then stop, and a lot of glaze staring like always without any more bantering. I am suspecting that the game contains other values inside coding that prevents too much banters in sequence, or in the same area, or whateve other reason limits banters so the simple override of banttimg.2da doesn`t suffice. If i even give a lot of commands to single characters to read all the normal banters I notice the the fatigue banters doesn`t show anymore, I got the guy fatigued and listed but the banter doesn`t start nor in voice neither written. If anyone ever solved this or even if it`s not a bug but someone understood how this works, we will always be Very grateful and wish to give my money to them instead of beamdog.
    Post edited by Eva8 on
    After some days, having digested some of the rage and delusion you can see from previous post, I retake playing bgee with the sole banter accelerator mod you find here https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/64551/mod-banter-accelerator-for-enhanced-edition-games, using the file with the quicker timing. I must say that there must be some hidden mechanism in the game, that meanwhile you do nothing, waiting to see if your mod works, and all jpc does is staring, if you instead play normally, move through areas, save and load, DO things, banters start more often, like if something inside the i.a. makes bantering influenced by events. Trynit, maybe it will solve your bg2 problem too... or turn back to old bg2. I would like but on android is too much a pain.
    Ok, sorry for double posting but I cannot find any Edit button on my previuos post.
    I think I just discovered something important to understand how banters work, just playing the game, vanilla unmodded bgee, with only two little tweaks, 60fps and banttimg.2da set to FREQUENCY 150, PROBABILITY 50, REPLAYDELAY 150
    and SPECIALPROBABILITY 25. Maybe i will vurther increase those probabilities.
    Now as i previously stated, it seemed to me that some AI npc behaviour was making the banters behave NOT in a plain simple manner, and now my experience is:
    Lots of banters happen when you start the game, than they tend to decrease in time
    I was having always the same banters between the same pair of people, Ajantis and Kivan, while Kagain and Minsc were trying repeatedly to banter charname. Until I got the idea that they were bantering the NEAREST character and tried switching them. Banters changed! Kagain insulted Kivan, then I put him near Minsc and insult changed. Ajantis and Dynaheir started compliment in a way I NEVER heard of, while usually my Dynaheir always compliments the Lawful Stupid (cit.) guy with always the same compliment. Then Ajantis who was far from Kagain happened to Special insult him, with character portrait dialogue and all. After this explosion of good bantering and party interactions, everything quickly calmed down and in a few minutes it all become the usual staring and siĺent party. This could make the game quite playable and enjoyable to me, not minding restarting every quarter or half hour if I want to listen some chit chat. I suppose that long term modders probably already know all of this interesting scripting details, but I was not able to find them when I needed them so I hope this will help someone.