Skip to content

How can I maximize magic resistance on a character?

(Not Viconia)

I’m thinking this will probably have to be a wizard slayer that dual classes to thief for UAI, but I’m not sure what gear I need to keep an eye on.

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    A pure wizard slayer can get MR over 100% even without relying on any specific weapons. If you want to do that as a thief you need to use Carsomyr. The human flesh armor is also helpful and Gaxx, Amulet of Seldarine and the hell bonus takes you to 100% even without any small MR inherited from a WS dual.
    WarChiefZekeiosfrustrationgorgonzolaJuliusBorisov
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    or play with tactics mod a paladin or a toon with UAI, carsomyr and the cloak of balduran give 100% MR.
    on a side note even if you can easily get it the game becomes much harder then playing vanilla without 100 MR...
    :)
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    or play with tactics mod a paladin or a toon with UAI, carsomyr and the cloak of balduran give 100% MR.
    on a side note even if you can easily get it the game becomes much harder then playing vanilla without 100 MR...
    :)
    No mods for me. I’m on iOS. It’s a bit limited but it’s fair.
    iosfrustrationgorgonzola
  • iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    Klorox wrote: »
    No mods for me. I’m on iOS. It’s a bit limited but it’s fair.

Another iOS player - its where my username came from

Slightly OT but if you absolutely must play on iOS, and you reeeeeeealy want mods - this may be of interest
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66644/how-to-install-mods-on-ios-devices-no-jailbreak

Ive never tried it myself, looks like a massive amount of effort...
    stu-k
  • MartinWMartinW Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2020
    What worked for me (and you receive very high MR relatively early and 100% MR at the ToB start) is Fighter/Mage/Thief while playing with small group (Aerie and Jaheira/Cernd) until 3M XP reached. Carsomyr+Gaxx+Amulet of power = 65% MR at chapter 2-3
    Later Human Flesh+5% from WK and +10% from tears of Bhaal brings you to 100%.

Another option - even easier though less powerful in my opinion is monk (main or Rasaad) with Gaxx+Amulet of magic resistance+sword of balduran (in off-hand, applies penalty to thaco, but you will still have your 4 attacks with fist+4 in main hand). Technically you can get 100% MR before going to Underdark (I did that with Rasaad and he was amazing.. though unfortunately he tends to run in front and receive good nice crit for 50-60 HP)...
    gorgonzola
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    I see a lot of people touting the carsomyr.. but a lot of you seem to forget that it SETS the MR.
    This means that all MR from WK, tear of Bhaal and wizard slayer is wasted.
    Also.. if you equip another weapon, which is likely, ALL other items have to be taken off and put back on or.. you guessed it.. MR is set to 50%, nullifying everything else.

This really just means that yeeees.. it works to stack MR if you equip all other MR items later, or re-equip them if you switch weapons in battle.. script can do this, confusion can do this, etc.. and it nullifies WK, Bhaal and WS MR.. so there's that.

Basicly what this means is that WK MR+Bhaal MR+ The Purifier +5 is just as good and one-handed, serving as an excellent offhand.. or even main hand for that matter.

The Carsomyr is good.. no doubt about that, it's perhaps the single most powerful item in the game, isolated.
    But in combination with other items and abilities.. well.. top 10 still, but not supreme.. and the way it's MR works is annoying.. very annoying.
  • MartinWMartinW Member Posts: 46
    No, it is not wasted, at least in current game version. Your permanent MR from tears of Bhaal and Machine of Lum is plainly added to Carsomyr. I.e. it is always at least 65% if Carsomyr is equipped.
    And even weapon description says nothing about it (sets or lowers MR to % value, like MR spell for example)... Carsomyr just hangs in middle position where he overrides +% buffs but stacks with permanent ones.
    Now even if you don't want to juggle items at all, 65% (70-75% with EBS) is still good value if you have good saves.
    JuliusBorisovgorgonzola
    Huh.. i tested and it seems you're right about that.
    Still it IS annoying that it resets MR given from items.. and as such still isn't my preferrable method of having a constant 100%MR

Although.. it is better than i thought.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Khyron wrote: »
    Still it IS annoying that it resets MR given from items.. and as such still isn't my preferrable method of having a constant 100%MR

What is your preferable method of having a constant 100%MR?
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    Does it actually reset when you add the items afterwards? That would be new; it has reset when it’s added after other items for a while.
    Does it actually reset when you add the items afterwards? That would be new; it has reset when it’s added after other items for a while.

It does, yes. Take off other MR items and put back on, and you'll keep MR from other items and Carsomyr stacked.. it's a very stupid mechanic, but also a consequence of how infinity engine works. It usually doesn't "re-apply" any stats or the likes.. it sets it once and doesn't go back to check until it gets told to do so.
    Klorox wrote: »
    Khyron wrote: »

What is your preferable method of having a constant 100%MR?

As I've said in another thread recently, i usually add the cloak of balduran to the game and remove helmet.. i find it silly that i find the helmet despite the fact that i always choose the quest ending with the cloak in bg1 (i know you can cheese both items in bg1, but i don't bother with that)

So that kind of upsets the usual proceedings.. Cloak, Purifier, Gaxx, Seldarine, WK, Bhaal, 10 wizard slayer.