Skip to content

A Newbish Question About Character Death

Ok, I'm almost embarrassed to ask this because I've played this game for like a decade, but here goes...

Why the heck do people sometimes die in your party and their portrait turns gray, and sometimes they die *and* vanish completely? Is it because they've taken so much damage that they can't be raised from the dead?

Comments

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited October 2012
    It's the blow up limit damage, it's in reason of physical damage that set the character HP to -x (it's something like -10 or -15). So if your character has 1 HP and lose 20 points to an physical attack, you character isn't only dead, he blow up in pieces and therefore, there's no way to ressurect him.

This can also happen as an effect of some magics for example.

If the game difficult is lower than CORE RULES, no matter how much negative damage you take, your character will not explode (he will in screen terms, but he can still be ressurected).

BG EE SHOULD add an option to Limited Wish or Wish spells to ressurect characters that die in this way, cos that's true to the P&P, of course with the due penalities (-1 permanently to constitution, -x permanently to max HP and other penalities).
    HaHaCharadeFigrutpaulsifer42
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    kamuizin said:

It's the blow up limit damage, it's in reason of physical damage that set the character HP to -x (it's something like -10 or -15). So if your character has 1 HP and lose 20 points to an physical attack, you character isn't only dead, he blow up in pieces and therefore, there's no way to ressurect him.

This can also happen as an effect of some magics for example.

If the game difficult is lower than CORE RULES, no matter how much negative damage you take, your character will not explode (he will in screen terms, but he can still be ressurected).

Thanks... I thought it had something to do with the amount of damage taken. Xzar blows up often.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Mage/thief, it's normal. That's an Aerie style of life :)!
    HaHaCharade
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    yes Xzar and Xan are excellent at chunking
    HaHaCharade