Skip to content

Solo Fighter vs. Amelyssan

The basic question is: What do?

I see that people here are doing some really hardcore challenges with masochistic mods, and even more masochistic self imposed rules, like no reload. My own goals are far less ambitious. I only want to defeat the final boss of ToB with a solo character (a fighter type) on the Core difficulty.

I've done this before with a Dwarwen Defender and a Cavalier. Each time I relied on the Defender of Easthaven and other damage reduction tools (Hardiness, Armor of Faith) to soak up all that incoming nastiness. The basic strategy consisted of chugging a few Potions of Power, then using the Rod of Reversal, and finally 2-3 Greater Whirlwinds to finish off the phase quickly. While this method works fairly consistently, it feels very limited. What if I want to solo with a single katana wielding kensai, who can’t take as many hits, or a monk, who can’t even use the Rod of Reversal? What about a Wizard Slayer?

One thing I’ve noticed is that the Rod of Resurrection no longer works in the PS4 version of the game. At least not for the full heal, which further limits the available tools. Are there any other tips/strategies for dealing with Amelyssan?

Comments

• MalacPokMalacPok Member Posts: 96
    edited May 2020
    I've completed the runs with a Kensai, an Archer and a Wizard Slayer. Some of the things I've learned:
    - any class greatly benefits from getting the Big Metal equipment, but especially the archer who can use the Pulse Ammo with the Firetooth+5. This combination is vastly powerful since it adds the magic damage on the top of the crossbow's default damage, and makes it shoot 5 times per round.
    - for the purposes of a solo run, the Greater Whirlwind is a must. 4 points should go to Hardiness and the rest to GW.
    - the pure Kensai is powerful enough to finish any phase of the fight in just 2 rounds with a properly high DPS weapon (like the Staff of the Ram+6). In fact the kensai at full level is very effective with ANY weapon, even those with no proficiency points put into.
    - The Wizard Slayer is not as bad as expected, it only introduces a few inconveniences, like not being able to go invisible in any way, using the Efreeti Bottle (best item in early game) or the Glasses of Identification. Ironically it is also worse against wizards. At the end of the day it is still a good fighter, and the proper equipment makes possible to finish the game with it.
    - The Soul Reaver is awesome and my new favorite weapon. It does nothing visually fancy, but it can drastically reduce the capability of ANY foe to hit you:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=TNycOT5yNOo
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    I agree fighters are perfectly capable against Mel.
    - the pulse ammunition is particularly useful as it damages her even through stoneskins at a base 5 APR - meaning it's a good way to disrupt her spells.
    - for most of the characters you mention (but not monks) the reflection shield offers an alternative way to do her quite a bit of damage (from her own ammunition).
    - Vhailor's Helm to get a simulacrum is another handy tool.
    - I agree about the Soul Reaver. One point to watch out for using that though is the relatively low base APR. That gives Mel the opportunity to hit you quite a few times before your hits have effectively closed her down by damaging her THAC0. Meanwhile her hits penalize your saving throw against the paralyzing effect of her weapon - so even saving throws well into negative territory may not save you (and she is highly likely to dispel any buffs you try). You may thus want to use a GWW when first attacking her, or dash in and out a few times to prevent your saving throw from taking too much damage (her effect only lasts 2 rounds, your's lasts 20 rounds).
    - the FoA to slow her can be helpful before switching to another weapon. If you're not hitting her reliably you might also want to use the Answerer a few times to penalize her AC.
  • RedKirrRedKirr Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 5
    I finished her at least three times with the fighters (solo-insane difficulty but with reloads, mostly vanilla EE ToB). And most of them started in ToB already, so I lost some important item. I am not a good player, but fine strategy is to put quite a lot of greater wirldwinds. So the flails of ages, upgraded to 4 or 5 level works fine and requires 3-4 greater wirldwinds. Meanwhile you do hardiness and roll your luck. Even dark monk works fine. Inquisitor is even better dispelling stoneskin. Figher/Mage is just God with his protection from magical weapons and improved haste, the same as fighter but can do without reloads. Wizard Slayer was also possible but took the most number of reloads (again, flail of ages works fine with it slowing and giving you more chance). Just put hardiness, and then melee and pray. And if possible 1-2 GW could go to planetar. BtW, I didn't use the rod of ressurection.
  • MalacPokMalacPok Member Posts: 96
    RedKirr wrote: »
    Figher/Mage is just God with his protection from magical weapons and improved haste, the same as fighter but can do without reloads.

I never played with that one, but I do consider trying it out. Possibly with some weapons I rarely use. Getting tired of the FoA, Celestial Fury & Belm combo. A gnomish fighter/illusionist with spears or halberds sounds like a nice idea.
  • RedKirrRedKirr Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 5
    MalacPok wrote: »
    RedKirr wrote: »
    Figher/Mage is just God with his protection from magical weapons and improved haste, the same as fighter but can do without reloads.

I never played with that one, but I do consider trying it out. Possibly with some weapons I rarely use. Getting tired of the FoA, Celestial Fury & Belm combo. A gnomish fighter/illusionist with spears or halberds sounds like a nice idea.

Well, this guy probably can play with anything.:) Try him, you will have rather fast and enjoyable playthrough. I remember that I started with Wizard Slayer, then became to annoyed and decided to try Fighter/Mage. And finished game so fast that Wizard Slayer could finish only half of a chapter. Almost the same pain is with a pure Fighter. But fighter can use at least improved haste...Figther/illusionist with filled 6 level with protection from magical weapon can definitely play with something two-handed and a bunch of greater wildwinds.