Skip to content

UI elements in png format ?

AlasterGRAlasterGR Member Posts: 7
Good day, dear forum.

I am working on a University project as part of a team that tries to build a videogame, in the span of semesters and various students, for educational purposes.
There's need for the game's ui icons or any similar images and I've been having a hard time finding anything. Complete similarity is not needed and big sizes are better but anything close is alright. I have searched the forums and the internets but failed to pinpoint an entire set, only a couple of them in the wiki site.

I know there are tons of UI mods in here as well as .png images of said icons used in some of them and I would be most grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

Having said that, it goes without saying that I completely respect the work of people and the time they poured into their beautiful products. Nothing I use will go uncredited, although the entire game is staying withing the University premises.

Thank you for your time, dearest community

Comments

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    @AlasterGR Do you need particular icons from the BG games? I don't know about the copyright and usage rights of all that stuff, but it is possible to extract the images of icons and other UI elements from the game using NearInfinity.

If you need custom icons though, it wouldn't be hard to design them.
  • AlasterGRAlasterGR Member Posts: 7
    Ideally, I would like to have all of them. If I extract the images like that, do I extract the assets or whatever I see in my screen like a printscreen shot ?

I would love more custom icons as they are usually more modern-friendly. I cannot design from scratch, I am nowhere near a graphics artist.

Do you know of any icon sets ? I have seen some beautiful, high res icons from player's screenshots and would love to use soemthing like that.
    edited May 2020
    @AlasterGR You can extract the icon assets themselves using NearInfinity. All the original stuff.

I'm not sure of any icon sets that are free to use as well as royalty free, so I cannot unfortunately recommend any.

What kind of custom icons do you need? Any style preferences or so? I never tried doing that myself, but maybe dabbling for a while in Paint.NET or Photoshop would be enough for me to come up with a few interesting ones. I have designed magic sigils previously, so it shouldn't be too hard. I think using the Procreate app on Android touch devices with a stylus is also a nice way to make them.

Edit: Here's a PDF showing those sigils.
    Ah, I see. Neat, maybe I will try it. Ergh, it's gonna be too much work though, and I already have so much to do, I was hoping to not have to extract enything. I'll see, if I haven't come up with something up to the point they are necessary, I will do just that.

I just need something similar to the original icons preferrably in silver lines or mono-coloured ones (so that I can paint to silver or whatever we need ~ I've seen golden schemes and they look amazing).

Your art is beautiful, the sigils are fluid, outwordly and arcane. Thank you for sharing ! What purpose did you draw them for ?

I couldn't ask you to draw anything, we are doing this strictly for educational purposes. But thank you, anyway ! <3
    Rik_Kirtaniya
    Thank you for your appreciation, @AlasterGR! I originally drew them as part of an article for an issue of the bimonthly magazine we had for this Forum.

Anyways, I did some more searching and stumbled upon these icons and vector arts. The website says that these are free, so maybe some of them might work for you. Wish you the best for your project!
    AlasterGR
    edited May 2020
    Thank you so much for the link ! Unfortunatelly, they are too generic, I wish to find similar to the game icons.

Wow, there's even a magazine in here ?! This forum is indeed as robust as I remember it ?

Oh, well. I will show what I've done when I get home ! ?
    Post edited by AlasterGR on
    edited May 2020
    hqabnnuq3nxt.png

This is one final version of the new menu.
    As it is obvious, the icons are for now placeholders 'till I find more relevant ones. Except for Baldur's skull. I like the skull. It is shiny.
    Rik_Kirtaniya