Skip to content

Custom portraits issue

alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
edited August 2016 in General Modding
I downloaded the super ultimate portrait pack, installed it, and cleaned up the install (deleted the .sql file and moved all the portraits to the C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\portraits folder). There are now many, many portraits along with the originals. However, after clicking through about 225 or so the portraits just stop showing. Every image is black (no image). It's not like I got to the end because clicking back the same number of times as I clicked forward gets me back to the portraits.
Any ideas what's causing this (and how to fix)?

All the portraits (after fixing a couple) have a large, medium, and small image with dimensions and sizes of - 210x330 203kb, 169x266 132kb, 54x84 13.5kb.
All of the portraits are bmp files with 8 characters in the name (including the last character of L, M, or S).

Edit - this seems to be some game limit. As a test I moved a few hundred images out of the portraits folder and I can nowsee many more portraits past the place where it previously displayed nothing but black.

Post edited by alceryes on

Comments

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    A few things you can try:

1. Delete the *S.bmp files. The EE's don't use them. Maybe cutting down the number of files will help.
    2. Move the portraits to the override folder. There's still some problems with the new portrait selector and portraits in the portraits folder.
    3. Download the zip file I've attached to this post and unzip it into the override directory.

The SUPP divides it's portraits into male and female by file name, so I ran my Portraits utility (shamless plug) on them to produce this .lua file. With this in your override, the portraits should appear only under their appropriate gender.

Speaking of shamless plugs, you can also check out my improved portrait selector: Multi-portrait mod
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    Thanks BillyYank.
    Deleting the *S.bmp files helped now it goes dark with only 166 portraits left. When you say move portraits to override folder do you mean documents one or one in the install directory? Also, do I just dump them there or create a portraits folder in the override and put them inside?
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Put them in the override folder in the install directory. Don't create a portraits folder there.
  • MrStitchMrStitch Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2020
    Im having the same issue. I can only see the portraits that got installed by BWS but my custom portraits wont be listed. i named them all m0L.bmp f0l.bmp and so on numerically i placed thm in the overide folder and in the doc portrait folder but cant get them to show up they are all 210x330 and 24 bit but i got nothing showing. i manually reinstalled the multi-portrait mod because i was using big world setup and thought it might be an error but am still not getting anything. what should i do?
    Post edited by MrStitch on