Skip to content

Anyway to fight the lesser demon lord in the underdark?

When I choose to ask for power, the demon lord instant kills me instead of turning hostile like in the original. Is there a way to fight it in the EE?

Comments

• BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    Yeah, wait for the Drow to start the ritual then interrupt them when the dialogue options allow it, get the Matron Mother killed, then when Phaere tries to take over the fight will start if you refuse to hand over the eggs. Then you can fight, the Demon requires +5 enchantment weapons to hit him or spells obviously, but you'll need to reduce his Magic Resistance if you use spells.
  • Question2Question2 Member Posts: 74
    Uh, i dont get any option to interrupt though. It goes straight to matron->phaere and I only get dialogue options when both are dead. Unless you mean giving phaere the real eggs.

I tried all the available dialogue options :

-Wealth just gets you 20k gp

-Item gets you a +4 halberd

-Power or changing your mind gets you instantly killed

-Asking him to help you exit the underdark causes the demon lord to tp out of the temple and clear a path to the city gates for you. You can kill him and take the eggs back, but Adalon still thinks the eggs were destroyed and attacks you.
    Question2 said:

Uh, i dont get any option to interrupt though. It goes straight to matron->phaere and I only get dialogue options when both are dead. Unless you mean giving phaere the real eggs.

I tried all the available dialogue options :

-Wealth just gets you 20k gp

-Item gets you a +4 halberd

-Power or changing your mind gets you instantly killed

-Asking him to help you exit the underdark causes the demon lord to tp out of the temple and clear a path to the city gates for you. You can kill him and take the eggs back, but Adalon still thinks the eggs were destroyed and attacks you.

Assuming you completed the Egg-Switch part of the quest chain, how it's supposed to work is the Demon will automatically detect the eggs are fake and attack and kill the Matron Mother, at which point Phaere steps in and tries to co-opt the ritual, where she expects you to hand her the real eggs, at which point you refuse and she whines about you destroying them all, the demon becomes enraged and attacks, you then slaughter Phaere and the demon, then massacre the drow on the way out, laughing like the true God of Murder that you are.

I then make a point of killing Adalon for having the cheek to shush me at our 1st meeting, then become disappointed that i can't also slaughter the Elves on the surface, although that is mitigated by the fact i know i can soon get my hand on Bodhi's scrawny neck and snap it like a twig. Although again disappointment that i can't steal Imoen's part of her Bhaal soul :disappointed:
  • Question2Question2 Member Posts: 74
    I tried giving Phaere the real eggs but you miss out on the quest xp for double crossing phaere so its not worth it.

I also found out that you cant kill Adalon if you give her the real eggs...she immediately teleports you to the gate after the dialogue and doesnt return to her lair.
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    edited August 2018
    Borek said:

disappointment that i can't steal Imoen's part of her Bhaal soul :disappointed:

omg hahaha you naughty boy

You can cast Energy Drain on her after she got her soul back.. repeatly, until she dies. That totally counts.

There also IS a 'good' path to resolve the quest, without attacking innocent dragons or demons. o:)
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @Borek

Eh?
    Read through what you said, Pharae has fake eggs as well which she tries to hand over. When does she ask you to hand over the real ones?

@Borek

Eh?
    Read through what you said, Pharae has fake eggs as well which she tries to hand over. When does she ask you to hand over the real ones?

I was going from memory, not sure if it's if you don't refuse to hand them over or you threaten her to stop her handing them over, but same result, demon attacks and you can kill both it and Phaere.
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    Question2 said:

I also found out that you cant kill Adalon if you give her the real eggs...she immediately teleports you to the gate after the dialogue and doesnt return to her lair.

I remember back in original BG2 I gave the real eggs to Adalon and completed the quest, and then she teleported me to the gate as expected. As soon as that happened, I casted Finger of Death to her with Viconia while she was in human form, and she died. Don't think I got the experience from killing her though, can't remember clearly
  • OmnibubOmnibub Member Posts: 1
    Wow, I'm late on this ball, but the only way to get to fight the lesser demon lord is to *not* use solaufein's fake eggs. Plant Phaere's fake eggs in the egg chamber, then give her the real eggs. When the ritual starts, the demon kills the matron mother, then Phaere tries to give the real eggs to the demon. You can then ask her to hand them over, and you have to fight them both. If you don't, the demon senses that you are an outsider and instakills you.
  • GentblueGentblue Member Posts: 39
    edited July 2020
    Question2 wrote: »
    I tried giving Phaere the real eggs but you miss out on the quest xp for double crossing phaere so its not worth it.

You can kill Adalon. It's just not easy unless you have a powerful party. If she is casting spells at the drow, you have 2 rounds to kill her as she won't turn red for a while. My favourite method is casting Harm, getting the mages to drop her magic resistance and taking her out in 2 hits. Use an elemental weapon (e.g. Flail of Ages, Dragons Breath) if she casts stoneskin to get the last hit.

It's almost impossible to kill Adalon in human form if you have a weak party without using gameplay exploits.