Skip to content

Boots of Speed Stopped Working

After the fight with the Ogre mage in the sewers I picked up a body and became slowed due to encumbrance. After removing my encumbrance, I did not regain the haste effect from the boots. Now, the boots no longer seem to have any effect on any of my characters. Spawning a new set of boots with the console does not fix it; the new boots are similarly ineffective. I do not want to go back to before the save, as it was some time ago. Any ideas?

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Have you tried quitting and reloading the game?
  • benjmn07benjmn07 Member Posts: 7
    Yes, I've tried that.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    You could try Ctrl+R from the console I suppose. That will remove any effects from the character under the mouse cursor just in case that's where something has gone wrong.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    Did you equip free action ring or something like that ? If it is a bug try to use ee keeper, and maybe you can delete the bad effects on effects screen.
    ilduderino
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    It is probably a ring of free action conflicting
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    That would be my guess. Sometimes you can put things on in a certain order and override the effects, and the boots of speed / Spider's Bane are one combo I often run into. I believe the ring of free action works the same.

I ran into the same issue last night in WK after Isra died and I inadvertently equipped her with Spider's Bane and wondered why she was meandering across the floor while the next wave of bad guys popped in.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I was thinking that too but OP did say the boot had no effect on ANY of their characters. There are more rings than I remember but not THAT many!
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited July 2020
    That depends on how many rings they spawned with eekeeper.
    Post edited by jsaving on
    edited July 2020
    I spawned no rings. I'm aware of the conflict; no free action is in effect. They just don't work. Using Ctrl+R did increase my speed again from them, thanks, although the fleetfoot icon didn't reappear and the speed seems to be half the increase it used to be. Very odd.
    Moomintrollmonico
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    are you running mods?

if not ( or even if you are ) perhaps you can give us a copy of your save game and we can see if we can reproduce the same result
    ilduderino
    I am, though the boots worked fine for many hours before deciding to quit. Out of curiosity today I loaded an old save from when they still worked, and the same problem is present; reduced movement speed increase and lack of the winged foot icon on the portrait. So it looks like something changed in my game, not necessarily my savegame.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    All right, let's look at the item; maybe something's mixed up there.

Player-usable boots of speed have item code BOOT01. Do you have a BOOT01.ITM in your override folder? If so, you might want to get rid of it. If not, then try putting a copy of the working version there. Attached.

If that still doesn't work, then it might take a reinstall.
    Grond0sarevok57ilduderino
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Those boots just aren't made for walking... ;)
    ilduderinoThacoBellmonico
    The mod file was the problem. I suspect whatever siege of dragonspear does to the boots interacted with the mod file in a bad way, as the mod version worked just fine up until the night after I played to that part of siege.
    monico