Skip to content

Difficulty with Proficiencies and Features in Near Infinity

HrafnkolHrafnkol Member Posts: 3
edited July 2020 in General Modding
I've been trying to navigate the beamdog forum, the gibberlings3 github, and others among Google for the past few days as I've been learning Near Infinity, in addition to manually looking through the different files in the game (mainly the 2da files). I've learned how to mess with Hit Points gained per level through the HPXXX.2DA files, allegedly Weapon Proficiencies though CLASWEAP.2DA and WEAPPROF.2DA (which I don't believe actually worked). My goal is to make a character who can almost solo the game, maybe with a Support/Healer character joining it. I liked the idea of using kensai's Duskblade kit mod as a base, except I haven't figured out how to add armor proficiencies or how to successfully add weapon proficiencies (despite adding proficiencies with Longbows, I was unable to equip one). I'm trying to create an Arcane Ranger in a sense.

Primary Goal: Which files (I assume 2DA files?) in the Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition should might I successfully add armor and weapon proficiences to?

Secondary Goal: Manually adding features to a class/kit. I saw a WEIDU tutorial, but because it appears to me that WEIDU requires additional programs, it feels over-my-head and I think I would rather do things manually. I have the feeling that it's through the CLABXXX##.2DA files, and all I really need is a confirmation that that is true - but if there's a map available somewhere telling what each CLABXX## file maps to which Kit, that would be super awesome!

Tertiary Goal: Finding spell slots/spells per day. For all I know, it's attached to class features.

I apologize if any of the answers should seem obvious; I really have been trying to find a lot of this information on my own.

Comments

• dbianco87dbianco87 Member Posts: 21
    Proficiencies don't do what you think they do. What they do is make sure characters get the right bonuses or negatives based on their proficiency level. They do not in any way arbitrate what kind of character type can use what types of weapon.

To do this you would have to edit every bow in the game. Every item has a list of binary flags which determine what kind of characters can use this item. You could also make a special kind of bow that only this character can use or something like that if you want.
  • dbianco87dbianco87 Member Posts: 21
    For editing a character, such as adding specific bonuses, that is much easier. You can export the character and use Nearinfinity to edit it and add the wanted bonuses to them directly and then save it to your character folder and reimport it into a game. Making a kit mod is something that would require you to learn a lot of stuff you do not and probably not a great use of your time. I would avoid editing clab files if I were you, very easy to mess up your game and force you to reinstall/lose saves.
  • HrafnkolHrafnkol Member Posts: 3
    Thanks! I'll continue to look for tutorials, if there are still any aimed at the clueless.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    Old list of 2da files: https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/files/2da/2da_bgee/index.htm

The mxspl 2da files contains spell per day for base classes like mxsplbrd for bards, mxsplprs for priests etc.
    For adding more spell per day to a kit you need to create an ability that grant the kit more spell slot and write in the ability to the kit's clab file.
    https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/files/2da/2da_bgee/clabxx00.htm
    In the clab file the GA_ prefix use if you add a usable ability and PA_ if you add passive ability.
    To know which clab file use which kit, just search the spl files of abilites and you can recognise it, or add an dummy ability and play the game to see which kit is edited.
    For egs: clabFI01 is base fighter, clabFI02 is berserker and so on, you can guess it with the first two letters after the clab_.