Skip to content

Playing IWD2, ugly fog of war + micro freeze ?

SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
Hello there,

So I'm actually playing IWD2, it is playable, but hard to enjoy a party when you have the following issues :

first, the fog of war looks ugly, it reminds some screen on Windows 98 when you shut down the computer.

2lp43jsegfht.png

I found a lot of threads on the internet, people talking about forcing the 3D acceleration in the IWD2.ini file. I did it, but the game doesn't seem to accept it, and the file resets to default when the game is launched. I tried the different in game video option too, but nothing, that ugly fog of war is the same.

2nd point.
I have some micro freezes during fights + when I recieved xp after killing a monster.
The sound is also glitching sometimes.
I feel like I'm running the game at 15 or 20 fps...

I'm playing on Windows 7, mods installed are Widescreen, Tweak Anthology, and 1pp.

Is anyone having these issues too, and do you know how to fix them ? if it is doable ? Like I said I tried many different things but nothing worked...

Too bad this game can't be Enhanced :(

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    A couple things:
    1.What version of the game are you using? The GoG version comes with a fix patch to help some of the performance issues.
    2. The widescreen mod is notoriously buggy, you're probably better off not using it.
    3. As for being enhanced: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/79872/icewind-dale-2-enhanced-edition-is-here-and-the-red-chimera-group-is-looking-for-playtesters/p1
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    1 - I have the GoG version 2.01 (101615).

2 - Hum, hard to play the vanilla resolution on a 24" screen. Anyway I tried without the widescreen mod and have the same issues.

3 - Hurra ! I shall try that beta if it is still open !
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    I had the same trouble with micro freezes, especially during large battles, but just had to deal with them. The fog of war though definitely seems to be an issue of your screen resolution. Have you checked whether it appears in windowed mode, too?
    @Seldar Did you download it with the client or with the stand alone installer? IIRC, the stand alone installer doesn't automatically patch the fix in.
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @Seldar Did you download it with the client or with the stand alone installer? IIRC, the stand alone installer doesn't automatically patch the fix in.

Hum the stand alone installer indeed...

I'll reinstall the game via the live GoG installer.

@Isewein
    I didn't try the windowed mode, I'll check that too
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    edited July 2020
    @Seldar It's a ddraw issue. Try this:
    Step 1: Uninstall the ddraw fix IF it is already installed (run setup-ddrawfix.exe in the game folder and type u and hit enter).

Step 2: Download the ddwrapper.zip file from this website and extract the contents. http://bitpatch.com/ddwrapper.html

Step 3: Move these two files: aqrit.cfg and ddraw.dll, from the extracted contents into your game folder.

Step 4: Open aqrit.cfg using Notepad or any similar text editor and change the contents to match the following and then save the file:
    RealDDrawPath            = AUTO
    BltMirror                = 1
    BltNoTearing             = 1
    ColorFix                 = 0
    DisableHighDpiScaling    = 1
    FakeVsync                = 0
    FakeVsyncInterval        = 0
    ForceBltNoTearing        = 1
    ForceDirectDrawEmulation = 1
    NoVideoMemory            = 1
    SingleProcAffinity       = 0
    ShowFPS                  = 0

You may set ShowFPS = 1 to display the FPS in the upper left corner of the game window.

Note: The most important setting here is NoVideoMemory = 1. You may tinker with some of the other settings (though you wouldn't need to) in order to see what works best for you, but this must be set equal to 1.

Also note that you must do this before installing any other mods, including widescreen. (At least the part about uninstalling the default ddraw fix.)
    Seldar wrote: »
    ThacoBell wrote: »

Hum the stand alone installer indeed...

I'll reinstall the game via the live GoG installer.

@Isewein
    I didn't try the windowed mode, I'll check that too

You shouldn't have to re-download or install it. It just means that you will need to manually add the ddraw fix, as @Rik_Kirtaniya describes above.
    All right thanks for your help everyone.

After installing that ddraw.dll, the game runs well, the fog of war is not perfect but much better than before.

thanks again !