Skip to content

Run script without start module

fot1fot1 Member Posts: 74
edited September 2020 in Builders - Scripting
Hello,

I just caught myself starting the module and running a script to extract information about the game balance just to close the module again. The script to extract this information is, of course, written in NWScript. It does several calls PrintString, then I copy the printed strings from the log and feed to other python scripts to generate graphs and insights.

I wonder if there is a way to run a NWScript without actually starting the module (or starting it in background and closing when the script finishes running).

Or if is possible to write to a file directly from NWScript to avoid copy paste.

Thanks!
Post edited by fot1 on

Comments

• meaglynmeaglyn Member Posts: 149
    Or get the information directly with your external tools and not use NWScript... but it depends on exactly what info you are after. There are tools to get at the module contents from without.
  • fot1fot1 Member Posts: 74
    For now I'm extracting data from treasure chests, which are used to generate random loot on each area. Not sure if I can use tools to search items inside a chest, and take its gold value? From the gold value I'm analyzing the averages and standard deviation.

So yeah, I just put something together for myself by continuously parsing the log output and updating some data files, which in turn triggers a watchdog and refresh the graphs. It is a bit... rough, but it should work for me, at least for now.