Skip to content

How much experience is in the game?

How would I get to the highest possible experience points for a group of 6? I think it means playing solo for a good bit of chapter 2 around Athkatla and saving the juciest monsters like beholders and undead for later. The question then becomes just what point it is that the NPCs stop getting level adjusted for the player character, and if it actually matters much at all in long run considering that a huge amount of the experience points is just in that little throne of bhaal bit of the game. Do NPCs just stop getting adjusted past half a million? I haven't found a way to go higher.

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Earn lots of gold, buy unlimited scrolls of Freedom from Ribald in chapter 6, scribe and erase. I had a party (admittedly with mods that added experience in the form of tougher enemies in some areas) that could have reached the 8 million experience cap party-wide in chapter 6. They stopped a little short and saved some scrolls for later, though - I wanted to upgrade some companions a bit for their ToB quests.

Random groups of monsters do upgrade with protagonist XP, to a point. This isn't really a big deal experience-wise, as fixed spawns and quest bonuses account for so much of what you get.

The catch-up XP stops at 1.25 million XP. For best results, run solo or with a single partner until that point, then recruit your final party. Scroll XP is one of the best ways to rush that first stage, so Jan makes an ideal partner here - shoplift the scrolls, then scribe them. I can reach 1.25 million on day 1 reliably with this route.
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    Getting infinite zero-risk xp from repeatedly erasing and rewriting spells (that you get from infinite steal/buy gold) is an exploit and a really bad one. You might as well use an editor to cap your xp as soon as you leave chateau Irenicus - same effect, but without abusing your mouse. I pray it will be removed from the game at some point.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Two points:
    - In the run I mentioned, infinite gold wasn't involved. Large finite gold from saving the expensive stuff and selling it all at once for the best possible prices, yes. Shoplifting as many expensive things as I could, yes. Selling particular items more than once, no.
    - There is only one infinite source of scrolls in the game, and it's not available until chapter 6. You still have to work your way through everything before that on more limited XP.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited September 2020
    borntodie wrote: »
    Getting infinite zero-risk xp from repeatedly erasing and rewriting spells (that you get from infinite steal/buy gold) is an exploit and a really bad one. You might as well use an editor to cap your xp as soon as you leave chateau Irenicus - same effect, but without abusing your mouse. I pray it will be removed from the game at some point.

Why? A person can do whatever the heck they want in their game. It doesn't affect you at all.
  • lollerslollers Member Posts: 190
    edited September 2020
    Edit: I said something wrong out of inattention. Wouldn't be the first time.
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited September 2020
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    borntodie wrote: »

Why? A person can do whatever the heck they want in their game. It doesn't affect you at all.

It's debatable how much of a serious exploit the proposed method is (at least partly because it's one of the most suboptimal and painful exploits I've heard of). Having said that, the more obvious/blatant exploits are lame and silly to many if not most players, especially more hardcore RPG fans.

Obviously, what some individual exploiter/superhaxcheater chooses to do with their local install doesn't affect others, but that's not the point. If say, BG1 accidentally deposited a +20 Hackmaster sword of Doom (there is in fact a cheatsword that can be consoled in) into the character's inventory at the beginning of the game, sure, there are people who would be rather happy about that and find it fun to EZPeasy hack their way through the game. Most, however, would recognize it for what it is - something that doesn't belong in a game like this (other than as a cheat item to test/goof around with for a completely silly game experience), and actually diminishes enjoyment of this type of game for most people - and report a bug expecting it would be removed from the game.

It's got nothing to do with how that guy who loves the Hackmaster +20 plays his game. The relevant issue is whether a potential cheat/exploit makes the game stupid to everyone else.

Post edited by ithildurnew on
    @ithildurnew " If say, BG1 accidentally deposited a +20 Hackmaster sword of Doom (there is in fact a cheatsword that can be consoled in) into the character's inventory at the beginning of the game, sure, there are people who would be rather happy about that and find it fun to EZPeasy hack their way through the game. Most, however, would recognize it for what it is - something that doesn't belong in a game like this (other than as a cheat item to test/goof around with for a completely silly game experience), and actually diminishes enjoyment of this type of game for most people - and report a bug expecting it would be removed from the game."

Okay, but this exploit DOESN'T do that. The player has to initiate it, its not something that the game does. Anyone could just, not do the exploit. The solution is to not do it if you don't want to and stop complaining at people for what they do in their single player games.
  • ShravanPShravanP Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2020
    Getting back to the original question, I wonder this too... starting a new game in SoA, is there enough XP to cap 6 characters (~48 million) without using infinite XP exploits like the above?
  • whalewerewhalewere Member Posts: 14
    edited September 2020
    I mean...if it comes to that, you could probably just rest somewhere unsafe and allow yourself to be ambushed, simple as that. As per jmerry's advice, waiting until you have 1.25 million XP to form a party is probably the one legit exploit that makes a huge difference. My gut says that's not enough to reach the experience cap at the end, but I'll leave the calculations to someone else.

Edit: for reference, my milestone is just Jaheira reaching level 15 as a druid (6 million XP). With a full party that won't happen, or just barely happens. I probably skip several minor sidequests, but that still leaves each party member 2 million XP short.

This is way more thought than I have ever put into the subject.
    Post edited by whalewere on
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    By the end of ToB you can be up to 7m or so per PC with a full party- not sure about 8.
  • ShravanPShravanP Member Posts: 8
    whalewere wrote: »
    I mean...if it comes to that, you could probably just rest somewhere unsafe and allow yourself to be ambushed, simple as that. As per jmerry's advice, waiting until you have 1.25 million XP to form a party is probably the one legit exploit that makes a huge difference. My gut says that's not enough to reach the experience cap at the end, but I'll leave the calculations to someone else.

Edit: for reference, my milestone is just Jaheira reaching level 15 as a druid (6 million XP). With a full party that won't happen, or just barely happens. I probably skip several minor sidequests, but that still leaves each party member 2 million XP short.

This is way more thought than I have ever put into the subject.

Ah the old Ankheg cave routine. What is that spot in BG2? Someplace in the Underdark or Sahuagun city?
    edited September 2020
    @ithildurnew " If say, BG1 accidentally deposited a +20 Hackmaster sword of Doom (there is in fact a cheatsword that can be consoled in) into the character's inventory at the beginning of the game, sure, there are people who would be rather happy about that and find it fun to EZPeasy hack their way through the game. Most, however, would recognize it for what it is - something that doesn't belong in a game like this (other than as a cheat item to test/goof around with for a completely silly game experience), and actually diminishes enjoyment of this type of game for most people - and report a bug expecting it would be removed from the game."

Okay, but this exploit DOESN'T do that. The player has to initiate it, its not something that the game does. Anyone could just, not do the exploit. The solution is to not do it if you don't want to and stop complaining at people for what they do in their single player games.

My response did begin with the statement that the issue @borntodie raised may or may not be a serious exploit. The rest of my post is in response to the frequently claimed assertion which more or less goes along the lines of 'I can do whatever I want with my single player game therefore people who raise complaints about exploits/cheats are intolerant whiners and horrible human beings'.

*tongue in cheek/humor/exaggeration in effect, which seems necessary to clarify for the myriads of overly sensitive and/or teh hax0rz with guilty consciences.
    @ithildurnew "*tongue in cheek/humor/exaggeration in effect, which seems necessary to clarify for the myriads of overly sensitive and/or teh hax0rz with guilty consciences."

Or, you know, toneless text. Though I've seen "it was a joke lol" AFTER the fact as an excuse so often, I don't really trust it WAS joke anymore unless stated in the initial post.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited September 2020
    Regarding the original question: I've just checked my ToB 'final save' and saw that charname had reached the 8 million XP cap while the 5 other party members XP ranged from 7.2 to 7.4 million. That was from a bog standard unmodded game on core difficulty, just picking up companions as I went along (although I think I soloed my F/M charname for a while initially).

Edited to add: I didn't have the benefit of being able to import/carry over my charname from SoD.
    edited September 2020
    Or, you know, toneless text. Though I've seen "it was a joke lol" AFTER the fact as an excuse so often, I don't really trust it WAS joke anymore unless stated in the initial post.

Humor != 'it was a joke'. Humor can be injected into a point to lighten the tone somewhat, especially these days when people get overly sensitive about being called out.

1. In the end, it's a game, it's not life threatening.
    2. It's debatable whether potential exploit in question is significant enough to cause concern.
    3. At the same time 'people can do whatever they want with a single player game so why take issue with exploits/cheats?' = flawed thinking, especially in the context of a thread where the OP seems to be seeking more or less 'legitimate' ways of gaining max XP.

Back on topic, question to the OP: is the attempt to squeeze out max XP being done with a strictly non modded installation?
    Post edited by ithildurnew on
    @ithildurnew "3. At the same time 'people can do whatever they want with a single player game so why take issue with exploits/cheats?' = flawed thinking, especially in the context of a thread where the OP seems to be seeking more or less 'legitimate' ways of gaining max XP."

How is it flawed? The player has to go out of their way to trigger the exploit. If the player doesn't want to deal with it, they don't. This is like getting upset that your neighbor is eating pork in their home because you don't like pork.
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    One thing I like to do for some free xp and no reputation loss is to kill everyone in the Temple of the Radiant heart. You could side with the Shadow Thieves and then later on in chapter 6 just attack and kill them. Scrolls, resting until enemies appear, doing all the companion quests etc.
  • vishvish Member Posts: 49
    They stop gaining exp at 1.25 million I think. You could be a level 18 sorcerer, but if I remember correctly they only ever end up being lvl 14 or so when you pick them after you're done soloing.